Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Not Holding

Blue84

Hiya Everyone..

This morning I stopped to put my parking permit in the machine which I use everyday for work and the front half of my car was on a steepish multi storey car park slope, I pulled the handbrake up very far or so I thought and she rolled back, I stopped her on the footbrake and pulled the handbrake up further to the top so it was difficult to move and it held then. I've noticed that on some hills it doesnt hold at the "normal" level and has to go up higher. Does anyone else have any problems with theirs?

Blue

(PS: Obviously I'm not a mechanic - is it something which is quick to sort?)

I had something similar happen to me about a month ago. Thought I was just tired and hadn't put the handbrake on properly. Working fine again now but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Anyway, your car is still under warranty, isn't it? Take it back and get them to do a safety check.

wen i get my license i have 2 go back to toyota cause they soldme a car that has only got it workin on 1 side... bastys

if u pull out the centre console around the handbrake there is a ten ml nut get a ratchet on it and tighten it up.

if u pull out the centre console around the handbrake there is a ten ml nut get a ratchet on it and tighten it up.

Is it really that simple? Guess what I'm doing tonight!

Is it really that simple? Guess what I'm doing tonight!

adjusting your handbrake?

beats watching TV...

Meant to say the the service on Saturday but forgot and it's so loose that it's starting to annoy me. It just needs tightened a wee bit

am I being hopelessly naif here?

A

edit:- have just checked with the work "bloke who knows these things" - he thinks I should just take it to the garage, but that it actually is "just that easy"...

I have only done that once - in the snow and because a quattro driver decided that it would be amusing to pull on the handbrake in a car park... :lol:

A

yeah it is that easy lol i had to do ours the other week cause we live on a steep hill :-(

Hi, i had the same problem, i went to the garage and asked them about it.

They said that 6-9 clicks is what toyota have asked them to do, because any less then if would be worse of as it affects the rear shoe or sommit like that.

The guy did say that it doesnt feel right but it would cause more problems if he tightened it as mine handbrake was 6 clicks

dont know what you guys think??

Defiantly get it checked to eliminate any underlying problem which you may not be aware of.

It maybe something else, which is unlikely, but to put your mind at rest, get it checked.

Better safe than sorry.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links