Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Rattles...

mhon

Hi there,

Just need to know if anyone has experience of this particular problem.

I know all Yaris rattle, doesn't help mine is an early "Frenchy"

Anyway, I've got a rattle/clunking coming from the left front wheel when driving along a slightly bumpy road.

Initial thoughts were susupension, the dealer has replaced the roll bar links and the left susupension strut. Another thinks it's the clutch release bearing but I didn't fancy them dropping the gearbox out to find out!!

It seems to come from the brakes 'cos when you press the pedal the rattle disappears. I recall pointing this problem out at the car's first service and they diagnosed it as a bolt in the brake mechanism and that cured it for a while.

However, since then it seems they've been unable to pinpoint the problem.

Anyone else experienced this problem and know of a real solution?

My car is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty so it'll be great to sort it out.

Helppppp!!

Thanks

PS. Is there a known problem with the clutch release bearings in the Yaris?

hi and welcome

its not the release bearing as they make a sort of howling/screaming noise when you pull off!

so ignor that

only thing i can thing of its a worn out wheel bearing although that makes a loud 'rubbing' noise normally

but most likely sounds like the CV joint to me!

if you put the car on full lock do you get a loud 'clicking' noise!!

hhhmmmmm

what a very onomatopoeic post!!! :lol:

I have this same 'clunking' noise coming from the near side rear. Ive had it back to Toyota and they cant seem to pinpoint the problem either.......

Although its not a loud 'clunking' noise, it does get abit annoying after a while.

Ive tried everything from taking the spare wheel out, folding the seats down and rocking the car to see if it is the suspension - still no joy!!

Ive often thought it could be play on the brake pads causing it to rattle within the caliper, because i can actually move the pads around slightly with my hand and again this noise seems to stop when i press the brake.........

There must be others with this problem??

Lee

Hi guys, ermmm well I've not posted to offer an explaination, but actually to diagnose my own rattle. I've got a 1.0GS and recently I've noticed a 'rattle' from the engine when idleing after the car has been running for a bit. And maybe I'm being paranoid but I thought that the car was juddering in the lower gears as I was driving tonight. Does anyone else's 1.0L 'rattle'? Am I just dumb for only just noticing after 3 years? (P.s. I've may have been a little mean to my car over the years, reving high and trying to get the most before each shift, could this have implications?)

Matt.

i had the exact problem...or at least it sounds like it... when i took her for service toyota sorted it out.... said there was a loose bolt on one of the engine mountings??

didnt really question it s they fixed it for free :)

Thanks for your replies so far.

No clicking noise on full lock so not a CV joint.

Glad it's not a clutch release bearing. What were they thinking of?!! :censor:

Pretty sure it's not an engine mount 'cos there's no clunking when releasing + pressing accelerator pedal.

I guess it's back to the original thoughts around the brakes. I wonder if the spring clips are still behind the pads in the calipers? I vaguely remember them being left off my old Rover when they replaced the pads and this caused a similar noise. QED!! :thumbsup:

Our litttle Yaris, Humphrey, is coming up to its MOT and has a relative unstressed 11000 miles under its wheels.

Well unstressed apart from living and working in speed bump central!! But it's coping well, my S60 had to have its rear shocks replaced after 3 years - no, I don't drive like a :arrgg-matey:

yeah good port of call would be to check the caliper clips...

Lee1 - alot of yari' make that noise, normally when they are lowered more than anything. its the tie bar. actually normal but yes is very annoying

alot of yari' make that noise, normally when they are lowered more than anything. its the tie bar. actually normal but yes is very annoying

Cheers Jaxx! Thats put my mind at rest abit, although my car aint lowered...........

Lee

i dont get a clunking noise, i get a squeak, often when in traffic, when accelerating and breaking, i asked the dealership to check for it but they couldnt find the problem.... its really annoying

can anyone help??

KNIGHTRIDER - did u find the source of the problem.... can it be fixed and more importantly do u reckon its covered by the warranty?!?

• 2 weeks later...

After either:

1. throwing a strop at Toyota GB

2. a more thorough technician at my Toyota garage

3. the info gleaned from this forum

We have located the rattle to the brake caliper assembly which has now been replaced before the warranty runs out. Hey presto! :hokus-pokus: Rattles gone!!

Other bits replaced include the a/c compressor which has always been clattery (does that mean I got a free coolant recharge?) and a new front grille as the paint was flaking off.

They forgot to replace the pollen filter though when they promised so am getting it done free later this week. Fair play to them :thumbsup:

Well done! A good outcome but, remind me, what's a rattle? ;)

A

Hi there,

Anyway, I've got a rattle/clunking coming from the left front wheel when driving along a slightly bumpy road.

Initial thoughts were susupension, the dealer has replaced the roll bar links and the left susupension strut. Another thinks it's the clutch release bearing but I didn't fancy them dropping the gearbox out to find out!!

It seems to come from the brakes 'cos when you press the pedal the rattle disappears. I recall pointing this problem out at the car's first service and they diagnosed it as a bolt in the brake mechanism and that cured it for a while.

My car is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty so it'll be great to sort it out.

Helppppp!!

Thanks

Hi All

New member here!

I too have been having clunking noises from the front of my NEW Yaris Tspirit.

My car has been back to the Toyota garage three times for this fault. The first time they couldn't find it. The second time they replaced the front struts. Third time lucky and they traced the fault to the front floating brake calipers which were dry on their slides which they packed with grease. Hey Presto nice and quiet now but dont know for how long, might have to be replaced before the three years are up! :thumbsup:

Hi there,

Helppppp!!

Thanks

Hi All

New member here.

I too had this problem on my brand new Tspirit Yaris.

Toyota garage pinpointed it too wheel calipers which they found were dry, regreased problem solved.

• 1 year later...
Hi there,

Helppppp!!

Thanks