Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats My Punishment?

al_nunn

Hi,

Has anyone received a NIP for doing over 100mph? What did you get for it?

I picked up an 1998 1.8 Avensis on saturday, and got done for speeding for the first time in 3 years since i started driving. I didnt think that i was going much above 90mph when i had glanced at my Speedo, but the police reckon that they caught up with me over a 2.5mile stretch and that they clocked me at 106MPH. They gave me a verbal on the spot NIP.

Has anyone else been done for being over 100MPH on a motorway? and what was the procedure that followed and what was the punishment. Whats the best thing for me to do?

They will have it n camera from the Patrol car so you will have to plead guilty...

I got done for 104mph on the M11 in 1997.

Likely you will face a court appearance in anything up to a year from now, where they will fine you and give an instant ban at their discretion.

I was banned for 2 weeks and fined £150. I recieved NO points on my licence and it did not affect my insurance at all.

Learn from it and watch your speedo at all times. Mistakes happen and no one should judge you as we have all sped from time to time, knowlingly or not.

I was banned for 2 weeks and fined £150. I recieved NO points on my licence and it did not affect my insurance at all.

The moral of that then would appear to be IF YOU'RE GONNA GET DONE FOR SPEEDING, MAKE SURE YOU'RE GOING FAST ENOUGH TO GET A BAN.

Get 3 points it costs you £150 anyway, 80 for the fine and at least 60 on your insurance. Does anyone know if your insurance is still jacked up after the first year of having points?? If so how long do the insurance companies penalise you for??

Well i have read quite a few people who get a short ban, dont get points. But you get a lot more aggrevation for it!!!!

Either one doesnt seem too good. I'd rather not get done at all. Now i have to wait up to 6 months to find out what i am going to get. Its not worth the risk... the maximum fine is £2500, the ban can be upto 56 days i think, and you can get 5-6 points on your license!!!

My dad got caught doing 101 and he got a 3 month ban, i dont think he even got fined....and he didnt get any points.....It was the scottish courts though becuase it was in scotland he got caught.

I dont want a three month ban!!!! :crybaby:

A short ban, a small fine, and maybe a few points would be good.

I would like to see the video from the police of me supposedly doing 106mph. If i was going that fast i am sure that they were not following behind. I think they just sped up to catch me, clocked up a reading of 106 and told me that that was the speed i got to.

get the video, and argue your case, for a copper to know how fast you were going he has to keep the SAME distance for a minute behind you, if they were losing and gaining distance, argue that you werent going as fast as that.

i know a guy fined and got 6 points for 100 mph plus . :thumbsup:

also i was told by esure insurance they kinda lighten your insurance premium a little on year 2 and year 3 they kinda ignore it completely.but thats on 3 points for a sp30.

I am sure that when the copper showed me the meter reading in the police car, that he said it was measured over 0.4 miles!!! Which means that if i did reach that speed then they could only have been measuring the speed for about 13.6 seconds!!!

I dont think that they could have caught me by the legal requirements. Anyone else know anymore on this sort of thing???

anything over 99 and you do get a ban now. :huh:

Ive always used that as a rule of thumb too! Over a hundred, means a ban!

13.6 seconds is quite a long time too!!!

A guy i know got a years ban for doing 130mph. :(

It also depends on your age, driving experience and/or previous convictions.

A work colleague of mine had 3 points 3/4 years ago. Got caught doing 98 a month ago and he faced a 3 month ban. But begged the magistrate not to issue the ban as he needed to drive for work. They gave him a £500 fine and 9 points <_<

you can alway tell when the po-po are on the freeway, all of the other cars slow down to 65-70mph

Da Ghetto.

The thing is with speeding, it's always totally different for different cases. If the police have you on video doing it, and the road conditions are bad (wet, busy etc.) then you might be looking at a harsher punishment.

It also depends a lot on the magistrates, if you're lucky you'll get a couple who hate speed enforcement :thumbsup:

A friend of mine got caught doing 78 in a temporary 50 and just a 14 day ban. That's it. But seen as yours is 100+, it might be best to prepare yourself for the worst.

get the video, and argue your case, for a copper to know how fast you were going he has to keep the SAME distance for a minute behind you, if they were losing and gaining distance, argue that you werent going as fast as that.

And that isn't true :thumbsup:

You can be taken to court for speeding by as little as an officers statement. I.e.

On [date] I was driving on the [motorway] in a marked police vehicle travelling at 70mph in the middle lane of the carriageway, my speed is measured by a [poilce pilot] digital system. At [time] I noticed a [toyota?] behind my vehicle on the inside lane, this vehicle was approaching me at a speed unkown to myself, but as I wa stravelling at 70mph I know this vehicle was travelling in speeds in excess of 70mph. As the vehicle overtook myself it proceeded to travell at a spped which I estimate as 90mph. The road conditions were dry and visibilty was good.... etc etc.
Something like that anyway. There doesn't have to be a video of it and there doesn't have to be any sort of tangeable evidence.

At the end of the day, it's up to the magistrates to decide whether or not you were speeding.

Lets face it people, coppers will do you for having a face that doesn't fit.

Guess what??? My face doesn't fit.

A.C.A.B :censor: :censor: :censor:

AL - Don't take notice of any of our stories in reply to your thread. All these are just our personal thoughts and maybe experiences.

Every case is different, so you cannot be sure what will happen until you receive contact from the Police or courts.

Chin up mate :thumbsup:

Guess what??? My face doesn't fit.

A.C.A.B :censor: :censor: :censor:

Well done, nice point.

Guess what???    My face doesn't fit.

A.C.A.B :censor:  :censor:  :censor:

Good intelligent comment, and who would call if your car is being stolen?

Have you considered the reason coppers might dislike you is because of your objectionable personality instead of just having one of them faces?

Do you wear a baseball cap perchance? If I were a copper I'd nick you for that alone.

:lol:

Guess what???     My face doesn't fit.

A.C.A.B :censor:  :censor:  :censor:

Good intelligent comment, and who would call if your car is being stolen?

Have you considered the reason coppers might dislike you is because of your objectionable personality instead of just having one of them faces?

Do you wear a baseball cap perchance? If I were a copper I'd nick you for that alone.

yeah, lets forget you were doing 150% of the speed limit.

Lets forget you were breaking a law

Lets forget all about the fact you knew you were speeding..

Its because the policeman didnt like your (blurred) face that he decided to follow you, and clock you doing 36 mph above the speed limit, and then he thought to himself 'sure hes breaking the law, and its my job to enforce that, but i just dont like this guy, so ill do him'

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time :thumbsup:

On a lighter note do you like the flavour of porridge and can you hold slippery soap, can wash without if you drop it?? :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links