Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Milage

DefiantFrog

Hey,

First time I've posted on the Celica forum here... So hey guys!

I'm lookin for some advice, I'm gonna see a P Reg Celica GT this afternoon, all seems good over the phone, apart from the fact its done 90,000 miles - which is putting me off slightly. Is this something I should be worried about? It does have a full Toyota Service history (apparently)...

Prompt response appriciated, as I am leaving in an hour...!!

Thanks guys, look forward to the replies...

mines a 1995 with 85000 coming up - still drives great no problems , just a tap tap from 1 tappett for 2 minutes from cold and thats it.

mines "touch wood" problem free at the moment and has done 95K

listen to the engine. it should sound like pretty much like an engine thats only done 5K.

give it a good thrash and see if its lacking in power or anything. also make sure you dont buy the SS1 version as it only has around 150bhp

its about 252,000 miles to the moon

You just reminded me of a news story in a local paper a couple of years ago of a Taxi driver in Derby who's Carina had been to the moon and back... twice... :)

Not literally, obviously... (just covering my back from a barage of pee-taking ;) )

give it a good thrash and see if its lacking in power or anything. also make sure you dont buy the SS1 version as it only has around 150bhp

I was under the impression that all UK GT's were 174BHP? Its only the Jap models that had varying BHPs...??

Please correct me if I'm wrong...!

i dont think anyone is 100% sure on this but u should make sure it looks like that engine anyway.

was the car still running after its trip to the moon?

if its a uk celica the vin number is 17 digits long - imports only 8 i think.

thing is its a toyota lump if its been looked after and has a fsh like the seller says should be ok goo dluck with her im lookin at the n plate im thinkin of gettin this week

ed

Hi,

When I was looking for my GT, which has done 114000 miles and still sound sweet, I borrowed a 1994 UK GT which had done 218000 miles, the only thing noticable was a little bit of transmission noise when slowing down using 2nd gear. Other than that it sounded like a purring cat.

90000 miles is just run in !!!

Hope this helps

Hey all...

We'll, I've seen the car, and I have to say, apart from a couple of minor dings in the bodywork (damn these tight british car parks), she looks absolutely sweeeeeet. Apart from a flat Battery, and rusty disks (it hasn't been moved in a while) all seems to be reasonably well....

Thing is now, 2 things concern me. its done 96k, and it has no record of history for the last 26k of them. One thing I stupidly didn't look at was the condition of the oil, see if its been changed recently (ie 20 miles ago, when the guy first got it, or 2000 miles ago, which might indicate its had SOME servicing...

The guy has also offered 3 month warrenty, and a full service before it leaves the forecourt, and nearly what I want for p/x on my Civic.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure. Apart from the above, it fits my specs nicely (A/C, Black, GT, Good interior, no mods (yet!) etc etc) - I was just hoping to spend a little more, have half the milage, and full history... :blink::wacko:

thing is its a toyota lump if its been looked after and has a fsh like the seller says should be ok

Hmmm, to be honest, I'm not overly worried about the engine, as long as the oil looks good, there's no odd sounds, and she still drives well. I'd say I've done nearly 350,000 miles since I started 8 years ago, and in a variety of cars, and I have NEVER had an engine problem. Everything else around it has gone wrong, but the lump itself, be it Rover (Honda in disguise), Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Honda, has always been good to me. Both my Folk's Toyota's have been good with the engine also.

I'm more concerned about everything else. What I don't want is to buy the car (£5500 - which annialates my savings), then have to find an extra grand over the course of the next 6 months fixing all the bits that are falling apart that I can't see / can't get in to. Does that make sense?

How reliable is the rest of the Celica, without bothering to think about the engine itself? How worn out will all the other bits be (Drift shafts and related parts, gearing, pipes & tubes etc etc)....?

Thanks for the help so far guys, by the way... much appriciated! :)

Cheeers

Ben

not had any problems in mine yet and im approaching 96,000 miles. Well a knocking noise which was very easy to cure.

£5,500 though?

Obviously driveshafts gearbox and clutch can go just like any cars

5500 is about right for a garage , i'd opt for a private sale , they go for 4k nowadays with less miles.

5500 is about right for a garage , i'd opt for a private sale , they go for 4k nowadays with less miles

Sadly private sellers won't take my Civic as part exchange... I don't have the cash available to me yet to buy outright without using my Civic as a bargaining tool - only another couple of months, and I'll get there, but I'm starting to get an itchy accelorator foot ;)

The guy has also offered 3 month warrenty, and a full service before it leaves the forecourt, and nearly what I want for p/x on my Civic.

mate dont pay too much attention to the 3 month warrenty all dealers now have to give them with the car. i know of dealers who use it to baragin i.e ill give u 5,000 for the car and the dealer will say 5,250 and ill give u a three month warrenty. it only covers thing that brake and not wear and tera as most thing swill brake with ware and tear it covers nout

ed

• 2 weeks later...
Mines done 144000 miles & i'm running 75 bhp of NOS & had no problems at all.

mine's got 195000 on the clock!!! :eek: no service history & runs like a dream!! honestly, dont worry about the mileage fella.. its a toyota! :)

thats amazing .i got 110 .000 to catch up , and time to build up some service history , but i cant stamp my own book . :lol::lol::lol:

did you sort the abs out wibble ?

• 3 months later...

95000 isn't much if it's a 96. It's basically 9 years old, with an average driver doing 12,000 miles it should be on around 108,000 to be just average mileage. So technically you can call that one a low mileage model! :)

mine is a 96 1800 ST with nearly 110,000 on the clock and it runs beautifully! The only thing wrong with it is that it drinks a bit of oil, check the oil before buying it but it's hard to tell as mine shows no signs of burning or leaking oil. I guess you should look out for a low level of oil which is very clean???

The GT has the stronger engine than mine so it should be good for another couple of 100 thousand miles.

As for your question on reliability of other parts - It is excellent I get no noises from anything (although they did but a load of sound proofing in for the facelift model - 96 on, clearish indicators)

Hope this helps - 5500 seemed a bit high to me though, I know the others have said it seems right but I'm sure I looked at one with less miles on than that for 4500 from a dealer (I just couldn't afford the insurance on the GT!)

As most have said, have a good listen to the condition of the engine right now and make your descision based on that. The 3SGE and 3SGTE engines are pretty tough, mines sitting at 175,000 miles.

My 2p`s worth. Apart from havin itchy feet and quite rightly wanting to move away from a Honda to something nice :P .

I`d seriously wait the extra couple of months and in the meanwhile keep looking around. You`ll pick up a feel for the cars and wont be rushing into anything. Plus at the end of the day you`ll save some money and can negotiate a good price on the Honda at your leisure. :D