Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is The Normal Operating Temperature?

BobThrasher

Hi,

Does anyone know the operating temperature for a 4-Cyl camry? I have a 1988 2.0L 4-cyl camry wagon. When the car was new the temp guage was at about 1/4 of full scale when up to temperature. Lately (133 Kmi later...) it reads closer to 1/2 of full scale. After idling awhile with the car warmed up, the input and output water appears to be 202 degrees F (measured using infared temperature gun at service station at the input and output ports of the engine). I tried changing the thermostat to a 180 degree stat with absolutely no change (not surprising since operating temp is over 200 degrees). I also tried performing a flush and that didn't do a thing either (2 different flushes used - sodium citrate and sodium bicarbonate (?)). Before the flushes I removed the radiator and carefully flushed out the bugs in both the radiator and the condenser. At this point I am at a loss as to why the temp guage still reads 1/2 of full scale unless either the temp sensor or guage are out of calibration.

I also kind of expected that the operating temp should be something closer to the thermostat since, presumably, a thermostat is supposed to control temperature. Thanks for any help.

Bob

try putting toyota anti freeze - summer coolant in , and not bog standard anti freeze.