Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-d4 Temprerature Gauge

Egys

Dear All,

I have just bought second hand Yaris D-4D, 2002. It looks great car. There is french handbook in car, but I don't understand french unfortunately. I tried to look throught the newsgroup, but didn't find answer to my question.

Red temperature gauge starts blinking in the dashboard after some time driving on motorway (~100-110km/h). It never lights on driving in the city. Does it mean that engine is overheating?

Best Regards,

Egidijus

Dont know if it would help but i had a similar problem my hand brake ABS light kept flickering after i went over some bumps took it to the garage all it was is a loose wiring connection

Sorry, I don't have my handbook right at the moment - I'm sure someone who knows will be along in a little while!

Sorry,

Alan

Does it mean that engine is overheating?

Yes.

Is there enough coolant in the plastic reservoir? If not, fill up to about halfway between high and low mark when hot.

Is the ventilator working when the gauge comes on?

DON'T open the radiator cap when hot to fill it from there, use the overflow reservoir!

Cheers, Yves.

Coolant level is a little bit above the "Full" mark of plastic overflow reservoir.

Ventilator is working. I checked it.

I will go for checking to garage, I think.

Thank You for recommendations.

I will add happy end of this story, becouse somebody could brouse this topic later.

I brought my car to Toyota garage for changing coolant. Technician said that there have been strange thing. Collant level in plastic reservoir was good, but in radiator it was a little bit too low.

I don't get this problem after changing of coolant. I did ~500km allready. I hope it will not come up again.

Hi again,

I did additional ~500km and saw red coolant gauge blinking again :(. The situation is the same. It came up on motorway and don't come up in city.

I noticed one thing. Coolant level in overflow reservoir raised after doing this 500km. It looks like pressure to radiator cap moved some fluid (about 400ml) from radiator to overflow reservoir. Strange thing, that coolant don't go back from overflow reservoir to radiator.

Could anybody explain me - should coolant come back from overflow reservoir to radiator when engine is cold?

Is a radiator cap with rating 1.1 correct for yaris diesel engine 1ND-TV?

Thnk You,

Egys

Yes, coolant level should drop back when cold as the overflow reservoir is there for the expansion of the coolant, your radiator shouldn't empty in the first place though.

I think 1.1 bar is the correct radiator cap as opening pressure should be between 0.95 and 1.25 bar.

Have you checked hoses for blocking?

Cheers, Yves.

Sorry for stupid question, but could you please advice how to bleed air from cooling system of Yaris D-4D?

How does this air get in otherwise? I did change of coolant in Toyota's authorized garage and don't think that they did it in wrong way and left air in the system.

Thank You.

Air should bleed itself through the expansion tank, you should notice it "bubbling" out after changing coolant. One more question, have you ever had the thermostat replaced? If yes, it could be that it wasn't positioned properly when installed, there's a small hole on it that should face up.

Cheers, Yves.

• 1 year later...

I see, that same problem occures for other D-4D Yaris owners, so just want to publish reason of this problem and how did get rid of it.

It was blown head gasket. Car runs without any problems after change of head gasket. Garage master said that it is very strange to see blowing head gasket for such new car. It looked like gasket reject, which showed up after running ~100.000km.

Good luck for everybody!

• 4 months later...

Firstly I would drive with my heaters on all the time until the problem is sorted if heater is blowing hot its ok but if they start to blow cold then there's a problem (no water in rad)..

There are some reports of headgasket fail on some 02 d4d and with no water temp gauge you have to rely on temp light and that doesn't work when all the water is blown out...

if you run the car until it gets hot and then squeeze the top hose you should feel the water in it and do the same with the bottom hose being careful not to get your hands near cooling fan and alternator... if these feel ful of water and your heeters are hot then should be ok..

Now i would leave it running (tickover) until the car gets very hot keeping an eye on the overheat light and hopefully you should see the fan kick in!

I am fitting a water temp gauge on ours soon

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links