Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rav 4 Xt3

craigy37

First of all Hello to all on here looks a friendly and intresting site.

I do need just a bit of advice i am just about to purchase my First Rav 4 we want the xt3 model is it worth spending an extra £1000 just to get the diesel model as we currently drive a diesel or is the petrol model better. Or does the Diesel model hold it's value better.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Craig :thumbsup:

Hi,

And welcome to the club - not sure about being a friendly bunch though :arrgg-matey:

Ok, I would go with the petrol, and chuck the extra grand at getting an XT4 - now thats worth while!!!!!

I did drive the D before choosing mine. I found the cabin to be more noisy, although the bonnet scoop does make the vehicle look much better :-)

Sure my comments don;t help that much - but hey!

Good luck, and happy Rav-in :thumbsup:

Rich

Thanks for the info i wish i could go with the xt4 but that is just over £2000 more and a bit over our budget :( shame as i think the leather in the rav looks great and you get more toys and gadgets.

We will go with the petrol version then as we were more with the petrol one anyway.

Thanks for the reply

Craig

Craig,

You may like to speak to other owners to get some idea of average mpg figures if economy is your thing. A friend of mine had a 2.0 Rav4 and swears that his D4D landcruiser does more mpg. That may be more down to his driving style but still worth enquiring about.

Also, there are fewer diesels around for trade ins which could make the residual values a little higher.

Regards,

Tony.

Craig,

You may like to speak to other owners to get some idea of average mpg figures if economy is your thing. A friend of mine had a 2.0 Rav4 and swears that his D4D landcruiser does more mpg. That may be more down to his driving style but still worth enquiring about.

Also, there are fewer diesels around for trade ins which could make the residual values a little higher.

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks Tony

The Diesel version does 39.2 to the gallon but the petrol does 31.4 to the gallon will we save more in the long run or is £1000 to much to spend.

I hate making these decisions perhaps we should try test driving the diesel version as we have only test drove the petrol as that was all they had available at the time.

Thanks

Craig

Hi, I have had my RAV 4, a beautiful 3 door, green metallic, 2 litre petrol, automatic, 2004 model for 6 months now. It was never a question of choice for me, I love petrol engines anyway. The loss of mileage, fortunately, was not that important, thank heavens.

The main difference for me is that I live in beautiful Spain!! So here the model is called a SOL. I think it is closest to the XT3 as far as equipment, etc. is concerned.

I have tried really hard to find something I don´t like about the vehicle but everytime I slide behind the wheel, I know I am again going to enjoy a smooth, reliable, quiet, sophisticated ride.

So, whatever your choice, welcome to the band of 4x4 lovers!!

Ravster

Hi, I have had my RAV 4, a beautiful 3 door, green metallic, 2 litre petrol, automatic, 2004 model for 6 months now. It was never a question of choice for me, I love petrol engines anyway. The loss of mileage, fortunately, was not that important, thank heavens.

The main difference for me is that I live in beautiful Spain!! So here the model is called a SOL. I think it is closest to the XT3 as far as equipment, etc. is concerned.

I have tried really hard to find something I don´t like about the vehicle but everytime I slide behind the wheel, I know I am again going to enjoy a smooth, reliable, quiet, sophisticated ride.

So, whatever your choice, welcome to the band of 4x4 lovers!!

Ravster

Thanks Ravster

Good advice we are going with the petrol version as you do get a better performance out of it.

Should be ordering it today :lol: :D

Let you all know how we get on

Does anyone know a good site to buy official rav 4 Accessories apart from Toyota or are toyota the only place to get them from.

Craig

Hi,

I have owned both, 5dr RAV4 GX (2001) which I had for 12 months and got rid of because it only averaged 25 mpg for the 10,000 miles I did in it :angry: however it was more refined than the diesel and also quicker :D . I also found to more fun to drive but eventually the mpg killed it for me so I bought a BMW 320d, this was fantastic :hokus-pokus: but cost me even more in finace :crybaby: so this year (July) I bought a 5dr RAV4 D-4D XT3, which is great!

40+ mpg but I've only done 3500 so far so it might get better once the engine has done 10,000 miles. The quality of the cabin is much better than the slightly older version, but it is a LOT nosier than the petrol and there is an annoying whine when the car is doing 70 mph but goes away when doing 80mph or above.

Overal the diesel XT3 is a better car than the petrol GX but I'm not sure a petrol XT3 would just shade the current diesel.

Probably doesn't help, but just my 2 pennies worth!!!!

Hi,

I have owned both, 5dr RAV4 GX (2001) which I had for 12 months and got rid of because it only averaged 25 mpg for the 10,000 miles I did in it :angry: however it was more refined than the diesel and also quicker :D . I also found to more fun to drive but eventually the mpg killed it for me so I bought a BMW 320d, this was fantastic :hokus-pokus: but cost me even more in finace :crybaby: so this year (July) I bought a 5dr RAV4 D-4D XT3, which is great!

40+ mpg but I've only done 3500 so far so it might get better once the engine has done 10,000 miles. The quality of the cabin is much better than the slightly older version, but it is a LOT nosier than the petrol and there is an annoying whine when the car is doing 70 mph but goes away when doing 80mph or above.

Overal the diesel XT3 is a better car than the petrol GX but I'm not sure a petrol XT3 would just shade the current diesel.

Probably doesn't help, but just my 2 pennies worth!!!!

Thanks for the info cybergizmo

We have now ordered the Rav 4 XT3 and we should pick it up a week on Friday. We have gone for the petrol so i will let you know what it is like. We have also gone for the black one, do you think we should get tinted windows done or will that look silly on a black car.

Craig

Craig.....

I think tints look great - I was quite upset when I realised the Rav did not come with it as standard.

I have had mine done, and I'm really pleased with it.

R.

Thanks for the replys guys I have got until friday to make my mind up, I think I will have it done I have not seen one but i have seen other black 4 x 4's with them and they look really nice.

Thanks for making my mind up i will try and post a picture of the car when we get it.

Cheers

Craig

Yeah....makesure you get some pictures posted. Always good to see other TOC Members motots :-)

Black.....with tints eh......nice!!!!

Hi Craig, Just joined myself so here is post number 1!,

We tested both diesel and petrol and decided not to wait the 14 weeks for a new xt3 in Black and brought the demo diesel in silver instead. It came with the "Chrome pack" however we didn't like the front "A" bar or the rear step so sold them off. We did keep the side rails and chrome tail light trims which make the car look different to others and also the rear spoiler.

WE LOVE IT and with a chip fitted you will be supprised at the rapid pull off. The diesel does run out of steam early but there again it was never designed with street racing in mind!. Enjoy you purchase!

Also does anyone else know where to get some quality accessories for the rav?

Many thanks

Carl

I have a silver petrol rav xt3 which I have had for 3 months, and so far is doing aroung 34 mpg :)

Def think petrol is best - personally I think a lot of diesels still sound like tractors - the only exception to this that I have found is my brother in laws new audi a4, and it goes like stink, but as i wanted a higher driving position the rav won easily. i also looked at about 4 other different makes of 4x4s but none matched the rav. My only regret is that I didn't go for the leather seats. did a deal with the dealer tho for the upgraded 6 cd changer - can't drive without my music!!

So versatile as well - the back seats are out as often as they are in the car and are easy to do. my only gripe is the back parcel shelf which tends to fall down and hit you on the head! :(