Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Uk Yaris Verso Disappearing?

geoffb

I recently saw a comment in Auto Express intimating that the Yaris Verso may disappear from the UK line up when the 2005 Yaris is launched.

I've had two new Yaris Versos to date and was planning a third sometime in 2005 and would be very upset if it was no longer available in the UK. I know it looks pretty grim style wise but I don't care about style - it's all about economy, reliability and practicality for me and it suits me perfectly. There's nothing else on the market that broadly matches its spec.

Anyone else on the forum heard about this rumour or know more? :crybaby:

personaly i hate the verso its trying to be something its not.

if it was launched as a van instead of a small peep carrier it would apeal to a lot more people.

but thats just my opinion

Hmmm. Well, comments so far just confirm what I said about the 'style' aspect of my car! But, as a hardened Yaris Verso owner I'm used to that. Absolutely don't agree though that it isn't a good people carrier or mini mpv. I can tell you from experience that it most definitely is.

Mind you, the aim of my first post was to see if anyone knows anything about the possible UK demise of the car in 2005 and not to get into any arguments with my fellow Toyota owners.

Just shows though how the look of the Yaris Verso can stir people to comment ;)

i dont think they are bad

and some of the japanese Veilside kitted examples are very smart ;)

Hmmm. Well, comments so far just confirm what I said about the 'style' aspect of my car! But, as a hardened Yaris Verso owner I'm used to that. Absolutely don't agree though that it isn't a good people carrier or mini mpv. I can tell you from experience that it most definitely is.

Mind you, the aim of my first post was to see if anyone knows anything about the possible UK demise of the car in 2005 and not to get into any arguments with my fellow Toyota owners.

:yes:

agree its not most peoples cup of tea in the looks department (but what is??)

but its an excellent car for what it can do. ive been in one and you dont feel like your in the yaris to be honest! loads of room to doss about within them!

and i think to confirm you fears the car wont be continued in the UK but a quick browse around the odd site it looks as though itll still be available as the 'Funcargo' (JDM Name) in Japan and available as import

:thumbsup:

jaxx - thanks for that. Such a shame - particularly since the wife now thinks we should keep the existing one forever (kinda spoils my plan since I'd like one more new 'UK' one when the time comes - rather nervous about imports). And the car got top slot recently in a survey of cars (not just Toyotas) that owners would most recomend to others (it scored 91%)

yvvan - Blimey! :eek: I shall use these photos to defend my car's honour in future in the street cred stakes (though I suspect I'd need more than a few trips to my local Halfords store to achieve these looks - and to be a few years younger!)

dont be nervous about imports Geoff

they are generally a bit cheaper, come with loads more toys and better specs and are looked after and dealt with loads better than the UK counterparts

im due to buy my first import and doubt ill ever buy a UK spec car after

:thumbsup:

earpl - thanks for the suggestions. I have seen both around quite a lot. Funnily enough I think they look even worse than my Yaris Verso and they are actually converted vans I believe whereas the Verso is what it is so to speak. Also, aren't they French? I don't like to encourage them so wouldn't buy one of their cars!

PS - I do know there are nice French people out there so don't anyone take this too seriously!

• 6 months later...
earpl - thanks for the suggestions. I have seen both around quite a lot. Funnily enough I think they look even worse than my Yaris Verso and they are actually converted vans I believe whereas the Verso is what it is so to speak. Also, aren't they French? I don't like to encourage them so wouldn't buy one of their cars!

PS - I do know there are nice French people out there so don't anyone take this too seriously!

Anyone heard anything more recent and got any update about the future availability of the Yaris Verso in the UK?

I've also heard rumours about it being axed in the new line-up, but nothing definate. I see you are in Essex too tho :D

As far as i know it's being discontinued in the UK, but as jaxx siad, there are always the imports. Lots of extra features as standard, and are normally cheaper. I'd have a look at the toyota bB as an import if i was you :thumbsup:

I too read in Auto Express that the Verso will be scrapped when the new P3 Yaris is introduced - later this year or early next - it didnt do as well as Toyota hoped, which is a shame.

Perhaps re-shape it, making it a mini Corolla Verso, as that is selling in bucket loads.....!

The only problem with the mini-mpv market IMO is there is so much competition!

I like 'em!

In fact, I drive pretty much the same thing, just in a different shape:

scion_xb_01_(from-toyota).jpg

There are several models based off the Yaris Verso (called FunCargo in Japan) which is essentially a lengthened and reinforced Yaris platform. Theres the Sienta and the Porté and a few others. All with the same transmission and engine choices.

I've got the 1NZ-FE (1.5 liter same as Yaris T-sport) and a 5 speed manual.

The one I drive is called the Toyota bB in Japan and sold as the Scion xB in the USA.

The aerodynamics of that car astound me! What's the body roll like when cornering??? :lol:

As for the Verso... Not a fan personally, but whatever floats your boat! Can't see it being a great loss to Toyota's range if they scrap it.

U_FUNCARGO_2.jpg

"Pimp My Verso" :yes:

The other one reminds me of a Hurst...

I like 'em!

In fact, I drive pretty much the same thing, just in a different shape:

scion_xb_01_(from-toyota).jpg

There are several models based off the Yaris Verso (called FunCargo in Japan) which is essentially a lengthened and reinforced Yaris platform. Theres the Sienta and the Porté and a few others. All with the same transmission and engine choices.

I've got the 1NZ-FE (1.5 liter same as Yaris T-sport) and a 5 speed manual.

The one I drive is called the Toyota bB in Japan and sold as the Scion xB in the USA.

That to me looks awesome...

Dicey/rob.. the body roll is less actually, it has stiffer suspension than the tsport :thumbsup:

The aerodynamics of that car astound me!  What's the body roll like when cornering???  :lol:

You'd be surprised. It sits pretty low and the center of gravity is relatively low. It also comes fitting with much stiffer springs and a thicker rear anti-sway bar than the Yaris Verso and Yaris variants, including the T-sport. Actually the stock ride is quite stiff, even too much for some people.

Handles like a little go kart, believe it or not. I wouldn't have it if it didn't corner nicely! :thumbsup:

Ah right well that's that cleared up then! I'm getting mine lowered when i have some cash just to improve the cornering, its a little loose at the minute, but then my car is completely standard (and proud!!) The only other thing i might consider is a TTE spoiler because i think they look ace!

The only other thing i might consider is a TTE spoiler because i think they look ace!

2 right mate! :D

Yeah, unfortunately I think the Verso is being scrapped when the P3 comes along but there is always the Corolla Verso! :thumbsup:

The only other thing i might consider is a TTE spoiler because i think they look ace!

2 right mate! :D

Yeah, unfortunately I think the Verso is being scrapped when the P3 comes along but there is always the Corolla Verso! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the comments and updates guys. Doesn't look good for my third Yaris Verso then unless I get in before it's axed which I will probably try to do.

I have looked at the Corolla Verso and it's a great car. But too big and too expensive for my needs to be honest. If the new Yaris is going to be slightly bigger than the existing one I might consider that but I suspect it won't be a patch, space wise, on the Verso variant.

Have to say that the bB looks fascinating - I've always been naturally attracted to cars that most others dislike style wise. Except the old Fiat Multipla - even I couldn't take to that one!

You could import a bB from Japan, only thing is they come with a column shift automatic trans only and standard Yaris suspension.

Only U.S. models get the 5 speed manual option and the stiff springs and struts/shocks. All that can be retrofitted though, save the 5 speed unless you've got deep pockets.

I'd go for a D4-D verso with a chip and some mild suspension tweaks if I were you. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links