Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Ecu Defects

RAVdriver

Hi, The yellow engine symbol lit up on my 2001 RAV4 VX @30k miles , a whole 8 weeks after the warranty ran out. Local Toyota dealer investigated and says the ECU is faulty and needs replacing for the princely sum of £800! Toyota Customer Services have now offered to supply the part for 50% and the dealer has halfed the labour charge . Still leaves me with a £400 bill, on a fully serviced RAV4 that has not had a hard life, but Toyota unwilling to do any more ..........

Car still runs well with light on . My cynical view is do I pay £400 to put a light out ?!?!

Has anyone heard of or experienced a similar problem ??

I bought a Toyota on the basis that they were reliable and expect an ECU to be a lifetime part not wear and tear item !!

Any advice and sympathy welcome

Regards

RAVdriver(not for long !)

Hi, The yellow engine symbol lit up on my 2001 RAV4 VX @30k miles , a whole 8 weeks after the warranty ran out. Local Toyota dealer investigated and says the ECU is faulty and needs replacing for the princely sum of £800! Toyota Customer Services have now offered to supply the part for 50% and the dealer has halfed the labour charge . Still leaves me with a £400 bill, on a fully serviced RAV4 that has not had a hard life, but Toyota unwilling to do any more ..........

Car still runs well with light on . My cynical view is do I pay £400 to put a light out ?!?!

Has anyone heard of or experienced a similar problem ??

I bought a Toyota on the basis that they were reliable and expect an ECU to be a lifetime part not wear and tear item !!

Any advice and sympathy welcome

Regards

RAVdriver(not for long !)

Blimey that's not very good is it.

Sorry to hear of your bad news as i would be a bit miffed it that had happened to me.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but i use to work as a mechanic, we had a Vauxhall cavalier come in for a service, it had 145 K on the clock, i rang him up to say, had he noticed the engine management light on the dash, his reply..."Its been like that since 30K, so don't worry about it" :( .

Any idea what the code output is?? Find out what it relates to & I could possibly advise you if you will be OK.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links