Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1g-gte Soarer

Mike19

hey all,

I have an 86 soarer with the 2.0, 6 tt (1G-GTE)

any reccommendations on some cost effective performance upgrades?

Your help is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
hey all,

I have an 86 soarer with the 2.0, 6 tt (1G-GTE)

any reccommendations on some cost effective performance upgrades?

Your help is much appreciated!  :thumbsup:

Hey There,

This is probably way too late but might still be helpfull, so here goes.

I have the same car here and am in the process of building a pretty tough engine for it. Your best options for a cheap initial power up are as follows.

1. Fit a pod style filter, get an adapter plate to mount to the AFM and punch a piece of 3" stainless pipe straight through to under the headlight. Not only will this give you more cool air, the sound of the charge air shooting back across the compressors sounds great.

2. Get a bleed valve and take the boost up. Standard an 86 model engine will run about 6 to 8 psi, take it to about 12-13. there is no point running anymore than this, not because of turbine failure (thats a Nissan thing), but simply the standard pipework and compressor eficiency wont support it. you`ll just produce heat not power.

3. Time to play with ignition timing, this is where the noticeable gains are. Standard timing is 10deg BTDC, Take this to 15 maybe a bit more. Very important that at this stage you run nothing but premium, 98 octane or more if you can get it. By this stage the seat of the pants meter will start showing a fairly noticable difference especially in manual trans cars. Set timing by jumping pins T and E1 in the diagnostic connector in the engine bay, this will defeat the advance and give you base timing.

4. This is where you will have to start spending, not much though. Exhaust upgrade is necessary at least cat back. Go 3" High flowing. That will let all the extra hot stuff out the back.

5. Now charge tempreture will start to be a problem, you are probably detonating under load allready now. The standard intercooler is a horrid restrictive thing. DITCH IT! A big front mount (I have a 300mm x 600mm x 80mm bar and plate) fits real snug behind the front bar without chopping anything major. If your car allready has the air-air this is a snack of a job, if it is the top mount water-air, its a little harder. Track down the factory pipe from a late model which joins the turbo outlets together and plumb off that if this is the case. This wont make the car feel any faster but it will rid you of the detonation boogie man that kills engines.

Sorry i didnt get to you sooner but this still might help someone out there.

:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

My supra has the same engine (Nice car by the way, I'd love a GZ-20!).

It depends what kind of performance gains you are after... it is VERY pricey to get good power of a 1G-GTE here in the uk, and it would be more cost effective to put something else in.

I have upgraded my 1G with:

balanced internals, lightened flywheel, ported and gas flowed head, two Blitz Bag turbos, Greddy intercooler and hardpipe kit, apexi safc-ii and aVC-R, mines ecu, HKs exhaust and bliz air filter.... I aim to have a healthy relaible and easy 300 hp at the rear wheels, maybe a little more ;)

Most of these bits i have accumulated over time... and they ahve certainly cost more then sticking in an easier to tune engine, like a 2jz...

Check on my forum (link in sig) for more info, as your car is basicly a mkiii supra underneath!

• 1 month later...

Got two 1g-gte engines tucked away............also one man gearbox one auto gearbox............all for sale............