Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dump Valves

aa120n

i've heard two things about dump valves.

1. they make your car quicker

2. they make it slower.

could someone in the 'know' tell me which it actually does? :blink:

They stop the turbo stalling when you release off the throttle... hence speeding up spool up for the next time your heavy foot goes down... however... the MR2 Turbo already uses a re-circulating dump valve which does pretty much the same thing.

Only problem with the stock design though is that it puts the hot air expelled from the turbo (which can get up to 120 degrees C) straight back into the airbox... :rolleyes: what were they thinking. It was done like this for noise restriction... as was the 'over-the-top' pipework and boxes for the stock air filter!

Not sure what the system is on the Supra's, but I'd imagine it's the same for the GT4's as they use the 3S-GTE like the MR2.

I wouldn't say the dump valve will necessary make your car any quicker or slower... well, certainly not noticeable. If you're relying on a BOV to increase your performance you're looking at the wrong thing.

BOV's make great noises, and protect your turbo (especially non-bearing turbos). Don't buy it as a performance enhancing mod and you won't be dissapointed!

Buy it for the grin factor... and just for the looks on peoples faces when you pass them in the street!!! (No... I'm not a boy racer! ;) )

If you want performance, do the de-cat pipe, induction kit (preferably with cold air box) and exhaust system as a first step.

I've got the HKS SSQV BOV and I love it. I'm not saying don't get one... just don't expect any more power or performance.

:thumbsup:

personally i think loud bov's are a bit embarassing, but each to their own!

Yeh, I've heard a few loud ones in my time. You kind of shake your head and think "oh my god... i bet he thinks hes cool".

When people look at you they aren't thinking 'cool' thats for sure! :P

Either of you got a turbo? ;)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Each to their own.

Personally I can't wait to hear the ptchooo after I've ran through all the revs & the engine is making the beautiful noise it so happily does.

Puts the icing on the cake :thumbsup:

WAAAAARRRMM > PTCHOOOO :D

Yep! I agree that they are nice, but when they are extremely loud its sad. I saw a Mk2 Fiesta with one that was so loud it made you jump. Its those kind of BOV's that are sad!

Yep! I agree that they are nice, but when they are extremely loud its sad. I saw a Mk2 Fiesta with one that was so loud it made you jump. Its those kind of BOV's that are sad!

Mk2 Fiesta Turbo?

I got the standard unit on my Glanza and every turbo owner in Killie was a dump valve to sound like it.... Sounds like a rally car kinda chirp ;) non of this crappy pppppttttssshhhh nonsense :lol: :P