Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Buy A Rav 4 ?

AnitaM

Hi

I have just moved to the 'country' and I am thinking about selling my current car and buying a small 4 x 4.

I've been reading up on various makes and models but seem to be favouring the RAV 4.

I like the fact that it's quite small and stylish but I'd be interested to know how it handles in the wet/snow/ice on country roads etc.

Can anyone give any recommendations or reasons to avoid it that will help me decide whether or not to buy one?

Thanks

:help:

If you want something stylish you could always look at a Hilux Surf, much better on and off road plus loads of room in the back for shopping kids and pets.

Hi

I have just moved to the 'country' and I am thinking about selling my current car and buying a small 4 x 4.

I've been reading up on various makes and models but seem to be favouring the RAV 4.

I like the fact that it's quite small and stylish but I'd be interested to know how it handles in the wet/snow/ice on country roads etc.

Can anyone give any recommendations or reasons to avoid it that will help me decide whether or not to buy one?

Thanks

:help:

The Rav 4 is a 'light' off roader, it has 4 wheel drive which can only help on the 'soft stuff', but its not in the same class as 4WD with hi and lo ratio gears.

The big plus for the Rav4 is it handles like a sports car, and has good MPG and insurance.

I think if your going to use it in the snow, a spare set of rims with some off road tyre is a must, hope that some help :) .

• 2 weeks later...

:( I had a 5 door VX deisel for 10 months and changed it for a corolla , because of a few problems I couldn't live with . I found the rear door was awkward . the sunroof leaked and the gear stick rattled at 60 to 70 mph . The last two problems never did get sorted out , although it was in the dealers for three days . One other thing which got on my nerves , was that on wet days rain water would fall on the seats ( on all four doors ) .

Apart from the few prolems mentioned , it was a nice car to drive and very comfortable on long trips . I got down to southern Spain in it and have fond memories of that trip .

Check these things out if you are looking or test driving one , get one without a sunroof .

Only entry level XT2 5 Door has no Sunroof.

Sounds like you had a bad RAV4. Had two 2nd Generation RAV4's had a (2001 RAV4 VX) and (2004 RAV4 XT4) never had problems with the sunroof, Never had problems with gearbox but have heard this more with Diesel RAV4's. Rear door you live with or you buy the Toyota Door stay part and sort that issue, Never had problems with water entering the cabin and I live in Scotland which has lots of rain, Had a problem with th 2001 RAV4 VX with the roof spoiler which techinally is a Sun Shade (Which is made by www.egr.com.au and they call it a Sun Shade) with water sitting on it and ending up in the rear cargo area.

Hmmm...sorry to say the sunroof is a known problem with the Rav.

I asked a guy that works for a toyota dealership ( service manager ) ,what i should look out for when buying a Generation 2 petrol Rav 4 ,and his answer was leaking sunroof seals and the oxygen sensors on the cat can pack up :( .

• 2 months later...

I've just bought a 3-door XT3, and had it for a whole 8 days.

The area we live is fairly hilly, but even in the wet, the RAV zips up the hills with no problem at all. Not had chance to try it out in the snow/ice yet, so can't really help you with that.

I've upgraded from a Corolla, and think the higher driving position is fantastic.

All I can say is that I'm still driving round with a big grin on my face :D and absolutely loving it !

ive had a xt3 5dr d4d since last saturday and have done 220 + miles in love it to bits great car and am averageing nearly 30mpg even with sprited driving

I have an XT4 which now has over 13,000 on the clock in 9 months.

Not had a problem with the car (the CD changer failed which was replaced no questions asked at the first service) and love it to bits.

I regularly go down to Exmoor National Park and it's great out there, including off road and on the small winding roads. I've not had any problems with rain getting into the passanger cabin (unless I leave a door open while it's raining :D ). Yes, the back door can be a pain but it is easily fixed as mentioned earlier.

My family also has an older RAV four, used mainly when going horse riding. It has not shown any problems at all with the Sun Roof or gear stick. :D

The RAV4 is a great family car with 4x4 capability.

I bought the XT3 4dr in Dec 04 so had it just about a months now. Its been a great car so far which I am really please with. The sunroof take a bit of getting use to as I was not sure if it was closed properly or not but I am sure its the way I closed it. Even so its not leaked. All in all its a great car but the again I did upgrade from a little Yaris. One other thing, I bought the 2lt Auto and I must say the drive is very smooth. I now its a lazy way of motoring but its makes for a comfy ride. :D

Hi.....

I got my XT4 back in July 2004, and its covered just over 12k :eek: now (thats beats you jonbr :-) )

No problems with the car either, pleasure and comfortable to drive. I live out in the sticky, very muddy, wet, slippy lane - its behaved very well indeed.

No leaks at all :yes: - sunroof seal seems fine too. I miss the automatic a little, and also the cruise control - but thats about it!

R. :thumbsup:

Anita. I have had my three door RAV just one year. It is smart ,fast and has had no probs; (apart from mpg indication. which is being investigated)

Plenty of room for my wife and I and all our stuff :D

Doing about 33 mpg which is fine by me.

A lovely comfy car---go for it... :thumbsup: :D

Gerry.

If you want something stylish you could always look at a Hilux Surf, much better on and off road plus loads of room in the back for shopping kids and pets.

• 2 weeks later...

with sprited driving (thanks to my lead right foot) averaging about 30mpg