Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Matrix

Rookey

Hi guys,

Just been checking out cardomain, and have found this Toyota called a matrix...

Does anyone know of it?

Did we ever have it in the UK?

heard of it yes, think its based on the corolla platform???

and no we dont get it over here :(

Thats a shame..It looks kinda like the yaris...but an estate type thing..quite funky i thought!

What does everyone else think??

matrix_race.jpg

It's a US and Canada-only product... we get it in lieu of a Corolla estate. Available with the 1.8 1ZZ-FE rated at 130 bhp with a 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto gearbox in base and XR models, plus the 1.8 2ZZ-GE in the XRS you guys get in the Corolla T Sport and top model Celica, except it puts out only 170 bhp, as Toyota says they've tuned it for more midrange torque (127 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm). Even so, our Celica 2ZZ-GE only puts out 180 bhp, compared to all of yours, which put out what, 192 bhp? Base and XR models also have the option of all-wheel drive (with automatic gearbox only), which reduces power output to 123 bhp and 118 lb-ft from 130 and 125, respectively.

Never been much of a fan of it, but oh well... Here it is on Toyota's website, with a revised front fascia for the 2005 model year (don't even get me started on the stupidity of US's model year scheme)

http://www.toyota.com/matrix/

On a side note, the Matrix has a sister product, much like the Corolla used to... Back in the '80s, the Chevrolet Nova was a Corolla twin (actually, it used Sprinter sheetmetal, like later models) built at the same Fremont, California NUMMI plant (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc.) as Corollas at that time. Later, the GM counterpart became the Geo Prizm, then the Chevrolet Prizm. That ended with the introduction of the 2003 Corolla... Then came the Pontiac Vibe. Interestingly, the Vibe is built exclusively at NUMMI, while the Matrix is only built at Toyota's Cambridge, Ontario, Canada plant. Another interesting note: Toyota chose to sell the Vibe, and not the Matrix, in the Japanese home market, as the Toyota Voltz. Anyway, I'll shut up now... here's a link to the Pontiac website on the Vibe:

http://www.pontiac.com/vibe/