Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 European Imports

Uncle Bob

I've started looking at Rav 4's with a view to buying one, have driven both old and new shape, i tested one yesterday all seemed fine to start with, 3 door NRG Auto in gold, first sign it was not a UK spec car was the after-market alarm, followed by the lack of NRG badges on the front wings .

After looking at the log book it confirmed that the vehicle was registered new in Belgium.

Now i don't have a problem with imports from europe, but if independent dealers are going to sell them on, as if UK spec then that's totally wrong.

Several UK super markets sell car sourced from europe and the price is reflected in that, but i feel once the vehicle is second hand, its value should also be lower :angry: .

It seems this is an extra problem to look out for when buying a used late shape Rav4 :rolleyes:

I don't think any European 3 Doors RAV4's (New Shape) come with a sunroof for some strange reason. In Japan the 3 Door's get the option for a sunroof/moonroof.

One thing to watch is some accessories like the European spec rear spoiler which is a proper spoiler than the crappy UK spec one which is technically a Sun Shade and great for collecting water on roof and pouring into the rear cargo area (This Sun Shade is made by EGR in Australia and that is what they describe it) there are some body colours not offered in the UK that is one way spot a European Import i.e. seen a 3 Door White model the other day with white bumpers and side protection something that Toyota GB don't offer.

The top of the range 5 Door model in Europe like the UK VX/XT4 models don't come with Leather as standard that is an extra cost option in Europe.

Also some European models come with heated front seats something that Toyota GB don't offer (Note Toyota GB it can be very cold in Scotland in the Winter and cold Leather in the morning is not nice), Scandinavian RAV4 models come with Headlamp washers, Some of latest European models come with electrochromic anti glare Rear view mirror (Very poor Toyota GB did not add this one) , but unless you know about Toyota RAV4 Accessories and options it's not easy to spot a UK from European spec model other than what it says in the log book.

Thanks for the advice SRC :) ,UK chassis numbers which had 17 digits, use to start with JT1********, but the one i looked at the other day ( i think ) started with JTU, so i'm nort sure weather that's another way to tell the difference.

Hello

I got my new rav xt3 2 weeks ago try this site i saved £1800 off a new one and they are all UK Cars no imports

www.brokers4cars.co.uk

The only draw back i had to pick mine up from Croydon but worth it in the end.

Thanks for the advice SRC :) ,UK chassis numbers which had 17 digits, use to start with JT1********, but the one i looked at the other day ( i think ) started with JTU, so i'm nort sure weather that's another way to tell the difference.

The SXA and ACA are the Chassis Codes for first and second gen RAV4's. The 17digit code Starting with J is the VIN number. J is for Japan were it is built.

17 Digit VIN no. breakdown like this

1 - Country:-

2 - Make

3 - Vechile Type

4 - Others

5 - Line

6 - Series

7 - Body

8 - Engine

9 - Check Digit

10- Model Year

11- Serial No.

12- Serial No.

13- Serial No.

14- Serial No.

15- Serial No.

16- Serial No.

17- Serial No.

Not great but VIN checker here http://www.autobaza.pl/ab/en/web/productaa0100

Scott

I've got a list of model numbers/engine codes from a Blueprint-ADL disc....

Gen 1 and 2, model SXA 10 /11, Engine code 3S-FE, (also a 3S-GE used in Japan )

Gen 2 ,1.8, model ZCA25, Engine code 1ZZ-FE,

Gen 2, 2.0 petrol, model ACA20/21, Engine code 1AZ-FE,

Gen 2 Diesel, model CLA20/21, Engine code 1CDFTV.

If anyone need a model or engine code for other Toyota 4x4 vehicles, give me a shout :) .

Bob.