Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tints

starletcraig

ok there seems to be so much !Removed! different stories about this topic...

Does anybody know the actual law on window tints for the front driver and passenger window?

I have been told you cannot have ANY tint?

I thought you were able to have tint that let in a certain percentage of light?

HELP :help::help: HELP

craig :thumbsup:

PM a member called fimmo

He runs his own tinting business so should know the score! :thumbsup:

when i was enquiring, i heard you could have back end as dark as you want.

the law for the side BEFORE was that you could have light smoke, but now apparently you cant have any.

Although i still see alot of people with limo black tint on front windows, and they get away with it.

PM a member called fimmo

He runs his own tinting business so should know the score! :thumbsup:

I never knew that!! what are his gold emebers rates like ;)

PM a member called fimmo

He runs his own tinting business so should know the score!  :thumbsup:

I never knew that!! what are his gold emebers rates like ;)

Dont think he does it. He doesnt post very much.

I had my windows tinted by him in June, thats where he saw the sticker for the club. It cost me £170.

Anyway, he is all the way up here in Scotland!! :D

His details

Thats that then :thumbsup:

My supra windows need doing, when I bought it it have been done REALLY badly... but I got used to the dark and moody look of the tints..

I tried to experiment of doing the Mr2 a bit back, but gave up :lol:

Nah this guy made a good job of them! He has been doing it for a few years now.

My mum had her Starlet done last week.

Front windows & windscreen = NO tint whatsoever!

Rear's = Whatever you want :D

But there are some places around that will tint the front, just if you get stopped... they never did it :!Removed!:

Depends on the area and the interpretation. my tinter did my fronts 25% which i had all round. He told me he was happy to give me a receipt as he had our local cops round and they ok'd it!

Our police were briefed saying "only pull if you cant see the head and shoulders of the driver" Normal tints are fine, so are coloured (I have blue)

Effectively that only rules out dark and limo tints on the front.

as previously mentioned, anything goes on the rear and sides

Thats what I want, sides, rear and rear quarters at 25-30% legal, and subtle... I hate it when the backs are tinted more then the fronts!!!!

The thing to watch out for is the stadnardt "tint" from the factory most of our cars are tinted X amount.... add a "legal" film over that and the two may not let through enough!!!! :hokus-pokus:

MR2's look cool with the windows and top glass dome.. I tried that but there was a gust of wind just as I went to put the rear screen on and it all stuck to itself, myself and the trim... I swore lots and gave up.

Standard new cars (focus springs to mind) are coming from the factory and only just scraping the test... thats how much tint your allowed! ! !

Its a gray area, your car will not fail the mot, your get a fine and caution if stoped by the fuzz.... if your unlucky enough to get stoped by the ministy or police with the ultra rare light moniter your be given a proibition notice and told to remove them within X days oh and also a fat fine....

I have seen them cracking down on this over the last few months, I have removed many sets for customers, but to be honest they were the very dark 'sticks out like a sore thumb' darkness....

I guess your lucky if you get away with it... but im sure its not for long!

(just my opinion! please dont cry!)

unbelieveable

i got stopped last night and had to remove my tints

not a problem for me as i was manager of a tint company for 3yrs ;)

the law states that any tint on the front driver and passenger windows is illegal. PERIOD. other than the standard glass which will not be tinted more than 75% visible light transmission (vlt) is ok.

all the vehicle inspectors can do is get you to remove the tint.............

i've retinted mine already :thumbsup:

(lightman meters are not expensive at only 200 quid....all vehicle inspectorates have them now)

no points system in place as yet but if your tints are too dark (less than 33% vlt) they can place a prohibition on the car which allows you to drive the car up to 3miles with the windows down!

Blimey....

AW well the supra does not come out in the rain, so if its out, the roof is off :thumbsup: if the roof is off, the windows are down...... No one will ever know :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links