Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand New Yaris - Rattling Noise

gkw33

Hi,

My new T Spirit has developed a rattling noise after 1,000 miles. :huh: Or at least I've just noticed it now. It seems to be coming from the rear left of the driver. I've checked the windows at the back but they are fine and don't seem to rattle. The rattle is only obvious when driving and going over roads that are not 100% smooth (most of them!) Motorways - the rattling generally isn't there. Is there anything I can check/do before taking it back to the dealer. Any suggestions welcome!

Yaris 54 reg 5 door T Spirit

Interior rattling?

Got a pen in the glovebox? :D

Serious tho.. check for loose things in the glovebox, door panel department etc.. :thumbsup:

Sounds stupid..

just bring it back to the dealer you bought, rattles are coveres by warranty

Checked the glovebox and also some things (car cleaning stuff) I keep in the back. It's a minor noise but VERY irritating. I heard it could be the rear light brake rattling, seems a bit loose but I don't think so.

Rattles are indeed VERY irritating, im sure iv mentioned that before!! Mine's going to Mr.T in a couple of weeks to sort out 4 squaks/rattles

1. Passenger Door... Any music above tiny volume causes a rattle, and poor surfaces.

2. Passenger Window (whole doors %$(ed!) Rattles when ahlf open, and when closed after being open.

3. Driver's seat starting to squek when i move. (probably cos im a fat knacker!)

4. Instrument binnacle STILL rattles!

It's over two years old my Yaris and these are the only problems iv had (other than the steering always pulling slightly left, but they said that's normal) So i aint complaining... Probably the best small car for reliability!

If you're talking to me... it's a Japanese one... which i only discovered recently to my absolute joy!! However, i did miss out on the TTE exhaust! D'oh!

Mine's French - thought all new Yarii were- sticker in the window even says 'Made in France' when I got it!

i had this prob in mine in exactly the same place. check the seat belt where it is attached to the panel (dont know wot its called) thats wot the prob was on mine

Sounds very simular to the rattle I had on my T Spirit. Sounds can be very missleading and often come from a different place than where you think its coming from. My rattle was found by mr T and was the brake pads rattling in the front calipars. As yours, mine only rattled on roughish roads. My advive is to

1) Take it out and wait for it rattle then brake gently and listen to see if the rattle goes.

2) If it does take it back to Toyota

Hope this is of some help

A

i had same noise different side!

mine was the back panel where the seat belt goes in,

get someone to sit in back of car as your driving and press or pull

at panel,and it stops.I took my panel off and put some foam behind

panel and its stopped it. :thumbsup:

I've had various rattles over the last few years with my t-sport. Part of it is lowered and stiffended suspension shaking things loose and part of it is interior trim gradually slackening.

Going round with a scre driver and tightening things one at a time is the best for interior - found that the rear parcel shelf assembly slowly loosens over time for instance.

Additionally the rear catch on the boot on mine dried out and rattled at a certain speed - took me and the garage three goes to identify it - simple to fix - a handful of grease in the meachnism.

The other bad one that someone (forget who) helped me with was the black plastic surround around the base of the windscreen. For whatever reason it rattled - and could I find out where! Eventually solved by a peice of draught exlcuder (I know very technicala!) being ushed between the glass and the surround - poked it down the gap so that you cant see it.

Hope this helps - but as a few have mentioned - they do like their little rattles!

Clarky

problems iv had (other than the steering always pulling slightly left, but they said that's normal)

No it's not!

Well, it's been to the garage twice and they said it's fine, apparantly its the camber of the road that allows the car to pull slightly... they said the steering is very reactive to inputs from the road (which is good when having a good drive in the country!) ... not when your tootling around town and the car pulls a titch to the left tho! Any ideas what it could be if my dealer is trying to ignore a problem?

Check the plastic coathook on the grab handle in the rear. It moves around and makes a really annoying noise... :arrgg-matey:

A small strip of sticky backed foam does the trick.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions :hokus-pokus: . I'm going to have a good look this weekend. It's really irritating me. On my daily commute on the M25/M4, (100miles a day! :wacko: ) I drown the rattle out with the Ipod/itrip!!

I must add this is only one little niggle, the rest has been great - it's a wonderful motor and I am so pleased with it.

You may want to look at the hatch latch adjustment and also look for loose items in the spare wheel well

My driverside window rattles whether it be slightly open or half open and my seat squeaks too - I was worried that Mr T would think I was being an idiot by taking her back but after reading this post I think I might take her there - she's just under 8 months old and done 5200 miles :unsure:

I can't find the rattle - suspect it could be the rear brake light. I'm taking it into Mr. T, because a loose stone on the m/way has cracked one of my front fogs :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links