#1 tomaddo

tomaddo

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Toyota Model: Starlet gt turbo

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:59 AM

I drive a starlet gt turbo which has a ct9 turbo as stock. Im looking to upgrade and would like to stay using toyota turbos as if i was to go for a garrett i would have to get a custom manifold made up whereas the ct12 will only need an adaptor plate. Anyway, i've been told that the Japanese ct12 which is on all mk4 imports is a different turbo to the us spec one. The jap one having more lag and as i only have a little engine the less lag the better. So im looking for a us spec ct12 from a mk4. I was wondering do the uk supras use the jap spec one or the us spec turbo as it would make finding one alot easier than having to find one from the us.

Any help on this would be great.

Cheers, Tom

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 adi

adi

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:06 AM

The UK supras use the US spec CT12's, but youve got your lag the wrong way round, the j-specs will have lower lag as they are ceramic and smaller than the UK/US steel equivalents.... the turbo outlets are also different.

Remember that other engines use the CT12's as well.. the 1JZGTE uses CT12A where the 2JZGTE uses CT12B. Make sure you get the right ones as the design of each is different.

#3 tomaddo

tomaddo

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:28 AM

Ah, is it true thou that the us spec turbo can be boosted up to the 16-17 psi mark whereas the jap spec one is only capable of 14 psi max? Anyone know where i can source a uk/us spec turbo?

Tom

#4 Monster-Mat

Monster-Mat

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 1,433 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 2 Lexus-- 1 Toyota

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:50 AM

i may possibly have the turbos spare soon, depending if i replace with HKS

PM ME IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS

#5 tomaddo

tomaddo

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 12:12 PM

Will do mate. Are yours jap or us/uk spec?

#6 adi

adi

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 01:09 PM

Ah, is it true thou that the us spec turbo can be boosted up to the 16-17 psi mark whereas the jap spec one is only capable of 14 psi max? Anyone know where i can source a uk/us spec turbo?

Tom

nope they can both run 16 or 17 psi easily enough.. what youre thinking of is the fact that the CT12A turbos on the 1JZ can only be run at 14 psi before the possibility of failure.

#7 Monster-Mat

Monster-Mat

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 1,433 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2 Lexus-- 1 Toyota

Posted 27 April 2003 - 01:25 PM

jap spec...40,000 miles

#8 chris888

chris888

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts
  • Toyota Model: toyota corolla 1.6gli

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:27 AM

good day tom!im chris from the philippines, and i read about your queries regarding ct12 turbos.hows your car doing now?did you upgraded from ct26 turbo?anyway, i just bought a ct12 turbo from a local surplus supplier here in our country, i think its a uk/us version because its steel made.im so sorry to bother you but im searching for an answers if i can retrofit it into may toyota corollas 4af engine?what are things will i consider?
again my deepest sorry for bothering you.your help would mean a lot to me...thanks...

regards,
christopher

#9 KPARRIS-JONES

KPARRIS-JONES

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 7,790 posts
  • Toyota Model: Early Spec GTi-16 4A-GE
Contributor

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Chris you'll find that the OP won't reply as he has most likely left the forums having been absent for so long. ;)

Check the post dates and it will tell you how recent it is. :thumbsup:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users