Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sport Assessment

breezer

hi there,

i have to do an assessment on health and particpation for university, and have to interview someone (whos going to b my friend).

He has a heart problem, he was a blue baby when born and had to have open heart surgery when one. He has a hole in his heart.

Does anyone know what this disease or whatever is called?

CHEERS

BREEZER

PROBABLY A REALLY LONG COMPLICATED LATIN SOUNDING NAME FOR IT BUT MORE COMONLY REFERRED TO AS A CONGENITAL HEART DEFECT.

Ooops sorry caps lock was on. :thumbsup:

Nope, sorry. I should know I think as I was premature and weighed sod all. Had something dodgy with it but not sure.

Sorry for being no help at all! :D

We all have it or had it at birth, it just depends if the opening closes soon after birth. If the duct doesn’t close you will have a murmur and often surgical intervention is needed...

Patent ductus arteriosus = hole in the heart

pda.gif

After birth, the first sign of congenital heart disease is often the presence of a heart murmur. A murmur in itself is not a disease, but simply a sound.

The ductus arteriosus is a normal fetal structure, allowing blood to bypass circulation to the lungs. Since the fetus does not use his/her lungs (oxygen is provided through the mother’s placenta), flow from the right ventricle needs an outlet. The ductus provides this, shunting flow from the left pulmonary artery to the aorta just beyond the origin of the artery to the left subclavian artery. The high levels of oxygen which it is exposed to after birth causes it to close in most cases within 24 hours. When it doesn’t close, it is termed a Patent Ductus Arteriosus, or Hole in the heart!

The defect often corrects itself within several months of birth, but may require infusion of chemicals, the placement of "plugs" via catheters, or surgical closure.

:thumbsup:

my dads m8s son had it

and he cant do too much sport because his heart raises up

he knows what it is called and it is a long name

i could find out if you want