Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Number Plates

daktari

Bit of a ranting ramble..........

As some of you know the law states that apart from a number plate having to conform to certain regulations in respect of letter size, spacing, flags, backgrounds ets. they also have to be affixed so as to conform to British Standard Requirements.

This basically means they have to be screwed or bolted to the vehicle. NOT STUCK ON with double sided adhesive pads etc.

Well i was following a police Volvo T5 last week and lo and behold, it had its rear number plate stuck on. No screws, no bolts. Why? Double standards? :ffs:

So i sent an e-mail to my local constabulary asking why this was. Big surprise. No reply as yet. (I`m not holding my breath) :huh:

Incidentally. I bought a set of plates for my car and was told they were legal. 3D lettering on normal plain reflective background. The only embelishment being a coloured border. Guess what? They`re illegal! Apparently they should have a BS mark on them. Oh and by the way, They`re stuck on. And they`re staying stuck!!! :D

working for Halfords i make plates on a dialy basis (when im healthy enough to work grrrr).

Halfords take the number plate laws very seriously and being the manager of the parts sections its my responsility to make sure everything is ok.

Anyway we sell 3D lettered coloured bordered plates as LEGAL plates. AND we fit number plates all the time using sticky pads!

Our plates that aren't legal have "not road legal" written on them at the bottom

Hey folks, was talking to my mate who has a GSR Lancer. He has told me that import size plates are legal? Is this true. I have heard many diferent stories??? I want import size ones on my Glanza but cant be assed getting pulled and being told, get them off!!! :)

Hey folks, was talking to my mate who has a GSR Lancer. He has told me that import size plates are legal? Is this true. I have heard many diferent stories??? I want import size ones on my Glanza but cant be assed getting pulled and being told, get them off!!! :)

on an import they are :thumbsup:

mine has sticky number plate on the front of my car, it came new from lexus like that, i must check if its legal or not :rolleyes::wacko:

Mine are stuck on using sticky pads and blue tack. ;) :P

I really do not want to be screwing them. :angry:

I have Standard size plate at the front of my Lexus (which is stuck on using double sided sticky pads), rear plate is a about import size plate on a carbon plate trim (which is also stuck on using sticky pads), i had no problems with polices yet, and it pass the MOT early in July without any problems....

My brother has his stuck on with sticky pads and has also recently passed an M.O.T, no problems to speak of! :thumbsup:

This is what the DVLA states regarding number plates, No mention of plates being stuck on?

THE LAW

The law states that,

You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers

Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

Offences may result in any or all of the following:

A fine of up to £1,000

The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN

The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BRITISH STANDARD

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This includes:

Visibility

Strength

Reflectivity

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)

The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)

A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.

There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

IN BRIEF

All registration marks including marks purchased through DVLA's sales scheme must be displayed in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (obtainable from Her Majesty's Stationery Office).

Rules for the display of number plates are set out in law, briefly these are: -

A number plate must be displayed at the front and rear of motor vehicles (with some exceptions).

Number Plates must be easy to read and meet the British Standard.

Lettering should be black on a white plate at the front and a yellow at the rear.

The background surface should be reflex-reflecting but the characters must not.

There are separate requirements for traditional number plates displayed on vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973.

Lettering and spacing must be of a set size.

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles

(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height 64mm

Character Width 44mm

Character Stroke 10mm

Space between characters 10mm

QUote from DVLA Registration plate Q&A site

Q/ Are stick-on number plates legal?

A/ No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

They want to try B&Q double sided carpet tape. Beats screws and bolts hands down. :lol:

A/ No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

They want to try B&Q double sided carpet tape. Beats screws and bolts hands down.  :lol:

I think by this they mean those stick on number plates that some old classics have stuck directly on the bonnet etc not standard plastic plates that are stuck on

They want to try B&Q double sided carpet tape. Beats screws and bolts hands down.  :lol:

I think by this they mean those stick on number plates that some old classics have stuck directly on the bonnet etc not standard plastic plates that are stuck on

Ah!. Never thought of that. Could be so. :)

Ah!. Never thought of that. Could be so. :)

that would be it. thought it seemed a little ridiculous :lol:

Mine are attached with all-weather velcro which have extra strong adhesive backing. Nice and simple to remove when a 'mod' frenzy takes me.

One of our cars has had a stick on plate now for years and years....

no problems at all :thumbsup:

It should be banned on MX-5s though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links