Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Dimming Mirror For New Rav 4

mooranger

I just bought a Rav 4 XT4 D4D and I'm really pleased with it, but was dissapointed that it didn't come with the option of an auto dimming rear view mirror. I had a look on eBay and managed to get a brand new genuine Toyota mirror (with compass dispaly as well) from the USA for about £90. This came with all the bits to fit it including the plastic cover for the cable from the mirror into the headlining. The connector is already in the vehicle wiring loom, so it's just a case of removing the light unit and plugging it in. Much smarter than the manual version, and now I know which direction I'm going in! If anyone needs more advice on fitting one then I can find out the part number etc. I suppose it may be available from UK reatilers as well, nut probably a bit more than via eBay :thumbsup: !

I just bought a Rav 4 XT4 D4D and I'm really pleased with it, but was dissapointed that it didn't come with the option of an auto dimming rear view mirror.  I had a look on ebay and managed to get a brand new genuine Toyota mirror (with compass dispaly as well) from the USA for about £90.  This came with all the bits to fit it including the plastic cover for the cable from the mirror into the headlining. The connector is already in the vehicle wiring loom, so it's just a case of removing the light unit and plugging it in.  Much smarter than the manual version, and now I know which direction I'm going in!  If anyone needs more advice on fitting one then I can find out the part number etc. I suppose it may be available from UK reatilers as well, nut probably a bit more than via ebay :thumbsup: !

I just bought a Rav 4 XT4 D4D and I'm really pleased with it, but was dissapointed that it didn't come with the option of an auto dimming rear view mirror.  I had a look on ebay and managed to get a brand new genuine Toyota mirror (with compass dispaly as well) from the USA for about £90.  This came with all the bits to fit it including the plastic cover for the cable from the mirror into the headlining. The connector is already in the vehicle wiring loom, so it's just a case of removing the light unit and plugging it in.  Much smarter than the manual version, and now I know which direction I'm going in!  If anyone needs more advice on fitting one then I can find out the part number etc. I suppose it may be available from UK reatilers as well, nut probably a bit more than via ebay :thumbsup: !

Am interested but not completely sure . Does this mean that the light near / adjacent to the the rear view mirror will turn off automatically.Myabe better if you put a picture in your post so as we can see what exactly it is

Cheers

Am interested but not completely sure . Does this mean that the light near / adjacent to the the rear view mirror will turn off automatically.Myabe better if you put a picture in your post so as we can see what exactly it is

Cheers

This sounds really interesting? Do you have any pictures of the installation???? or at least the finished job?

Also, do you have the part number for it? I would be interested in getting one of these?

Thanks

Rich

Welcome mooranger, At a guess it will either be a Gentex or a Donnelly Auto Dimming rear view mirror.

These ones are either Port Installed or sold via Toyota Dealers in the USA as an Toyota accessory as you can see here http://store.yahoo.com/brandsportinc/audiremi7.html and on the Toyota USA site http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/rav4/accessories.html.

Not sure but I don't think our European RAV4's are prewired for this North American RAV4's have different wiring looms'.

The Toyota European Electrochromic anti glare Rear view mirror as fitted on the new RAV4 XT5 (Due 1st Decemeber) and many other Toyota's in Europe is a bit different and does not have a compass, I guess the Toyota European one will be mega bucks but I could be wrong. If you look at all 2004 RAV4 in the UK they all have that black strip running down behind the mirror on the front window this is where the power would run down from the roof to the mirror that is why that that black masking/tape is there but Toyota GB until now did give the option for Electrochromic anti glare Rear view mirror.

ChimChim (Of RAV4World.com posting fame) fitted a Donnelly one to his RAV4, Click on bottom link on the right of the page and he put together a howto fitting his Donnelly Mirror. http://www.chimchim.net/rav4/main/howmain.htm

One caution note is that fitting these might involve removing trim that cover the front inside pillars where the side Airbags are so speak to local Dealer might be worth a call to double check about removing these trim cover parts, 2001-2003 RAV4's don't have side airbags so not a problem.

Do you still have the part number

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back - have been away working for a few days. In answer to all the questions so far, here goes. The mirror I have fited is exactly the same as the one in the top link (yahoo) in src's post. It is made by Gentex, and came supplied in genuine Toyota packaging. I can get you the part number when I get back home on Friday. As for fitting, it went in with no problem at all. I have an XT4 2004 Rav, and when I removed the console that holds the light and sunglasses holder the plug for the mirror was there. Just a case of plugging in and re-fitting the console.

The compass is very accurate, and took about a day of driving round to calibrate itself - it shows N, NW, E, SW etc and you can turn it off if you don't want the dispaly up. Being as the connector was up in the headlining there is no problem with removal of trim with airbags behind.

I'll post the part number and a pic at the weekend. By the way I got this from an eBay member called 11oaks - Click here

They asked exactly what my model was before sending to ensure I got the right one. Maybe worth trying them to see if they can get hold of anymore?

I would definitely recommend this easy upgrade.

If you do buy one from 11oaks on eBay make sure they send it airmail as mine came by surface and took weeks! They may say on the listing that they only ship within the US but they will ship worldwide at reasonable cost.

Thanks for update moonrager, Looks like I was wrong about it being pre-wired. Might think of getting one now since it so easy to install and already pre-wired.

Scott

OK, the part number for the EC Rearview Mirror that i've fitted is PT374-42040. I'm not sure how to post pics so if you are interested please pm me and I'll email some to you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links