Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disasterous Roof Leaks

a. craig

Folks - I have a 1999 Yaris Verso with a roof that has never stopped leaking. Be advised that this model comes with a sun roof, but the leak does not come from a faulty roof. In fact, the problem is more than a leak, it's a deluge that Toyota just can't seem to fix, even when the vehicle was still under warranty. The dealer has thrown up his hands, I'm in throes of dealing with Toyota corporate and some have suggested the car was faulty from day one. The car comes with a Roof Rack, and a few people believe that's why the car leaks, because the weather stripping at the four points where the rack connects to the roof isn't any good, nor is the seal, itself. Anyone out there have any ideas on this problem? Must go back to the dealer next week to continue the argument. This will be the fourth time the dealer has removed the roof! Many thanks for any help that comes my way. Best - A. Craig

id tell them to have the car back til its done and demand a courtesy car im off there in a mo to moan about corroded wheels

Yeah, get them to do it. And if they say they've done it, ask, infact no, demand at least an extra years warranty. If all is still to no avail, have a look at www.whatcar.com or check out their magazine... they have a Helpline thing, which if they notice; your story will get published and they'll help you solve the problem, usually with very good results.

I see in todays Auto Express that Toyota are set to discontinue the Yaris Verso next year when the updated Yaris comes out.

That could mean some good run out bargains in the Verso's

right take off all of the weather strips, on the roof area, even round the sun roof, in fact would you rather have a sun roof or stop the leaking? if so do the following, clean all the areas where the strip were, & treat them with a solvent cleaner, dont leave it on to long, then wash it off. let it dry, fill all of the gaps with a clear silicone sealant. wipe off any excess silicone whils wearing thin latex gloves (like doctors have). but whilst wiping it push it down also to work it into the gaps. when its at this stage, put the weather strip back in, on the sealant. wipe off any sealant that get on the paint, dont worry if you miss any because it will peel off when dry. leave it for about 24hrs to set fully. do it when its dry as the silicone WILL NOT stick properly to a wet surface. also dont use coloured sealants as this will look a ******. if you apply it properly it should fully seal your roof. all the experence ive had with leaky roofs ad always been the sunroof, so if i were you i'd fully seal it up. (youve alwas got the windows :) ) any probs if you decide to do this just PM me with any questions and i'll be more than happy to help :)

right take off all of the weather strips, on the roof area, even round the sun roof, in fact would you rather have a sun roof or stop the leaking? if so do the following, clean all the areas where the strip were, & treat them with a solvent cleaner, dont leave it on to long, then wash it off. let it dry, fill all of the gaps with a clear silicone sealant. wipe off any excess silicone whils wearing thin latex gloves (like doctors have). but whilst wiping it  push it down also to work it into the gaps. when its at this stage, put the weather strip back in, on the sealant. wipe off any sealant that get on the paint, dont worry if you miss any because it will peel off when dry. leave it for about 24hrs to set fully. do it when its dry as the silicone WILL NOT stick properly to a wet surface. also dont use coloured sealants as this will look a ******. if you apply it properly it should fully seal your roof. all the experence ive had with leaky roofs ad always been the sunroof, so if i were you i'd fully seal it up. (youve alwas got the windows :) ) any probs if you decide to do this just PM me with any questions and i'll be more than happy to help :)

right take off all of the weather strips, on the roof area, even round the sun roof, in fact would you rather have a sun roof or stop the leaking? if so do the following, clean all the areas where the strip were, & treat them with a solvent cleaner, dont leave it on to long, then wash it off. let it dry, fill all of the gaps with a clear silicone sealant. wipe off any excess silicone whils wearing thin latex gloves (like doctors have). but whilst wiping it  push it down also to work it into the gaps. when its at this stage, put the weather strip back in, on the sealant. wipe off any sealant that get on the paint, dont worry if you miss any because it will peel off when dry. leave it for about 24hrs to set fully. do it when its dry as the silicone WILL NOT stick properly to a wet surface. also dont use coloured sealants as this will look a ******. if you apply it properly it should fully seal your roof. all the experence ive had with leaky roofs ad always been the sunroof, so if i were you i'd fully seal it up. (youve alwas got the windows :) ) any probs if you decide to do this just PM me with any questions and i'll be more than happy to help :)

What are you trying to do mate?..

Click the 'quote' button next to what you want, then 'reply', then just add some text in the box... :thumbsup:

Now I’m wondering if he leaves the sunroof open! :wacko:

He's only a newbie!

But yeah, it ain't rocket science... even i worked it all out!

He's only a newbie! But yeah, it ain't rocket science... even i worked it all out!
He's only a newbie! But yeah, it ain't rocket science... even i worked it all out!

:unsure::unsure::wacko: ;) :unsure::blink: