#1 Xenole

Xenole

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Toyota Model: Toyota Yaris 1.3 VVT-i SR Eclipse Black

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:07 AM

Bit colder yesterday and when I turned the engine on in my Yaris, the blue "low coolant temp" light came on for 5-10 minutes. Is this supposed to happen if the car/engine is cold? If so, is it just a matter of warming up the car and is it safe to drive with it on at first?

Also, cold again last night and a lot of icy water covering all the windows. Wiped the majority of and used the wipers to clear other bits.
Got the heater on and air being sucked into the car (window heaters on too).
Are these the right settings as the windows seemed to steam up at first before improving but by that time you're nearly home unless you sit around in the car park for a few minutes?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Dougs

Dougs

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2004 Yaris T-sport (Balearic Blue) + 1991 Hiace

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:14 AM

The low coolant temp light always comes on in mine if it hasn't been driven in the last 30mins and i went out last night and mine stayed on for 5-10mins aswell so would say its normal

Not sure if you have air-con or not but if you have put the temp on cold put it on windscreen vent switch on the air-con and stick it on full blast should clear the the screen in no time at all

#3 T V O R

T V O R

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Yaris T-Sport - Thunder Grey.

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

The blue light stays on for about 1Ĺ miles in this sort of weather, just keep the revs low and drive nice and steady until the engine is at normal operational temperature.

I think itís a great feature (the blue light) never seen it before on a car.

If you want to clear you windows in double quick time use the A/C (hot setting) this also doubles up as keeping it working properly during the winter months.

Problem is the windows seem to steam up quicker when you turn it off!

:thumbsup:

#4 Viper_7

Viper_7

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Toyota Model: Volvo S60 D5 SE / Ex Yaris TS /Wife has Yaris 07 TR

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:00 PM

As said with the Temperature light...5 mins sounds about right...10 mins sounds a little long. Drive away as soon as it's safe to do so though....leaving the car standing for five mins isn't ideal.

If you don't have air-con then you need to remove the excess moisture other ways.

First need to determine why it's so humid in your car. Check you don't have any wet gear in the boot etc or whatever.
Make sure the windows are properly shut when you park up. Also a good idea to close the airvents.

Now to get rid of the moisture that's there already... get the heater on high and open your windows a good inch.

Bascially what your after is the water evaporating..and then been let out of the windows..otherwise it will just condense again on the windows when you park up.
If you can do this for say a good five miles then you should see improvements immediatly...after that it's just a matter of keeping the interior dry.

You should never need to be in a position where you need to wipe the inside of the car...this will just make it hard to see when the sun's low.

If your still having problems...need to check the door seals etc.

Winter TIP guys.

Rub a little talc onto your rubbers!. Stops them sticking in the cold!

Vipes

#5 Blue84

Blue84

True Brunette & Proud

• Advanced Members
  • 6,594 posts
  • Gender*:Female
  • Toyota Model: Yaris & MR2

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:57 PM

This morning mine stayed on for about 5 mins. There is a certain bus stop just past a roundabout near me and it always seems to go off around the same stop which is odd!!

#6 clarky

clarky

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:05 PM

Mine stays on a bit longer in the winter - but only for a few minutes ... not ten - even in the real cold mornings.

Clarky

#7 sup2

sup2

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Toyota Model: none

Posted 01 December 2004 - 09:15 PM

dont worrie bout it peeps its just as the cold weather sets in the engine is sitting in colder air so it taks a bit longer to get up to temperature, perfectly normal :thumbsup:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users