Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie: Celica Info

Rapier

Hi, Im new here and Im thinking about buying a Toyota Celica GT4, I went to look at a 1996 Jap import yesterday and I was very impressed except for one thing.

During idle the whole inside of the car vibrates with the engine, is this normal? a common fault? any ideas what it could be? maybe a worn mount?

Is there anything else I should look for when viewing one I plan to buy?

My current ride is for sale, Honda Civic VTi Turbo thats done proven 1/4 mile times of 13.9 seconds if anyone is interested then let me know.

Thanks for any help guys, maybe I can join u in the Celica owners club soon.

Nick

Good morning and welcome to the club.

I dont have a GT-4 but I do have an import the GT-R and have had no problems like vibration, that only happens when I turn up the volume on the stereo. LOL.

The Celica gang and I am sure many others will be alomg soon to help with this one.

Enjoy the site, Ash.

Hi, Im new here and Im thinking about buying a Toyota Celica GT4, I went to look at a 1996 Jap import yesterday and I was very impressed except for one thing.

During idle the whole inside of the car vibrates with the engine, is this normal? a common fault? any ideas what it could be? maybe a worn mount?

Is there anything else I should look for when viewing one I plan to buy?

My current ride is for sale, Honda Civic VTi Turbo thats done proven 1/4 mile times of 13.9 seconds if anyone is interested then let me know.

Thanks for any help guys, maybe I can join u in the Celica owners club soon.

Nick

There should be no vibration present while the car is ticking over during normal use. However if the Battery has been disconnected for any reason the ECU may have reset itself, this would cause an erratic tick over and possibly some vibration, but then only for a short while. Had the car fully warmed up and was the tickover steady? . Has anything been modded on it? Exhaust, Air box etc? If not i would be looking at a soft or insecure engine mount to start with. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

The car was warm as we had just took it for a 10 minute drive, the idle was normal, about 750rpm, if i brought the revs up to just over 1000rpm the vibration was pretty much gone.

The guy selling it said it was totally standard, the original airbox was there but i'm not sure what the stock exhaust looks like, this one seemed fairly big but it wasnt really loud just slightly meaty.

Anyone got a pic of the stock tail pipe?

Thanks

Nick

could be that the idle speed was a little bit too low? Maybe it was just slightly struggling and causing it all to vibrate? Mine is only the 1.8 but the idle speed is a bit higher than 750 and it is very smooth, no vibrations or anything.

No, it seemed like a normal idle speed to me. It sure wont need an idle speed of 1100rpm just to not vibrate. it was about 750-850 im not 100% sure.

if the engine is running properly, the only other thing which would cause vibration would be a meaty exhaust. whilst stionary at idle my exhaust is so meaty it chakes the car. i get flames and stuff, its cool and the back box glows cheery red at night.

Standard GT4 exhaust would have a twin pipe backbox. It`s possible that the exhaust could be causing the problem. :thumbsup: