Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Getting A Yaris

sotal

I've got a celica, and we are thinking of getting a Yaris for my wife. Is there anything to look out for?

She wants:

alloys

body coloured bumpers

spoiler

good mpg

not bothered about 0-60 speeds or anything.

have there been any major faults?

is there a particular model with all those features above?

is there any models to avoid?

what's insurance like on them - guessing it's cheap?

No major faults to speak of, the only model that features the above things are the T-Sport but I don't know it would be worthwhile buying a T-Sport if ur wife is just goin to drive at low speed and un-enthusiastically, no models to avoid and finally yeah the insurance is very cheap, the T-Sport is in IG 7 and the 1 litre's in IG 2! :thumbsup:

We were thinking of the 1.3VVTI with 50MPG

should be nippy enough and economical enough, but is there a model with alloys, body coloured bumpers, spoiler (oh and just remembered side skirts)

Don't really want a T-Sport as they are a bit new and expensive.

Surely it's not just the T-Sport with all those features??

1.3 T-Spirit has alloys and colour coded bumpers but u would need to buy a spoiler over and above that I think! Also no side skirts on anythin apart from the T-Sport!

Very good little cars though, you won't be disappointed! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

can't find a T-Spirit old enough to be in our budget!

Will keep my eyes open - :eek: want to stick with Toyota as it's the best I've had so far, (but it didn't have too much to content with - Rover, Ford, Peugeot, Seat) The others didn't even come close in comparison to the Toyota.

Try a 1.3VVTi Yaris SR. Lovely alloy wheels (better than TS in my opinion). Body coloured bumbers and a spoiler (even a performance backbox as standard!). Only thing it doesnt have is sideskirts.

Try a 1.3VVTi Yaris SR. Lovely alloy wheels (better than TS in my opinion). Body coloured bumbers and a spoiler (even a performance backbox as standard!). Only thing it doesnt have is sideskirts.

They are indeed the best wheels! Check my garage link below for pics! The performance back box is only on models pre-2002 though... because i didnt get one! Darn it!

The older equivalent of the T-Spirit, the CDX model, would probably have the optional extras you want, so that might be worth having a look for.

I think you can have a CDX in either 1.0 or 1.3. Insurance costs are low, and fuel economy should be pretty good on both. I've driven the 1.0 and 1.3 (as loan cars during servicing), and thought that both permormed well for their engine sizes.

I've covered nearly 60,000 miles in my T-Sport now, and haven't had any serious problems with it. A couple of things to look out for-

- Rattles and squeaks. The common ones will be probably be talked about on the forums somewhere, and they're generally relatively easily to sort out. They can be quite annoying, but the extent of the problem usually seemed to be limited to something working lose. Things have settled down now, so if you're buying a 3 year old car, you may not have any problems here.

- Avon tyres. My Yaris didn't like the Avon tyres I had on the front a while back - I got intermittent vibration through the steering wheel at 70mph which no amount of balancing seemed to fix it. Switching to Dunlop Sports seemed to do the trick

- Clutch Judder. Have a read of my 'Clutch Judder' thread for details (should be fairly near the top of the list cos I've just posted to it).

Thanks everyone, now I know what to look for.

Slighty worried after reading other posts about the Yaris having lots of niggly faults but I suppose you get that with any car.

John23 - My Celica judders a bit if I need to go fast at the first couple of junctions on a cold day. I've been told not to worry about it, and to try and keep it slow for the first 3-5 minutes of the journey. Also helps oil to circulate before going fast. It only happens for a couple of months in winter whilst it's cold but it's probably a sign that the clutch is starting to wear.

I will try to find a reasonably priced SR or CDX

Cheers :thumbsup:

What's a niggly fault? I'm on #3 with no problems whatsoever...

As folk have said, a CDX, SR or T-Spirit are the way to go, but there's nothing wrong with the 1.0 engine as it punches well above its weight.

Have fun,

Alan

people talk about faults!!! you dont hear from the rest of us who dont have faults cos it aint sumthing we've had. generally very good reliability. my mums only had 1 prob in 5years of owning the same yaz.

Faults that I've occured:

1.Taxi drivers pulling into the side of me.

2.People opening their doors into me.

3.Two flat tyres.

4.The passenger window seal being a swine to re-fit after putting uprated Speakers in the door panel.

5.Someone nicked my aerial.. (made a new one instead)

6. :huh:

That's it..no problems with the car as such, just other people :D

That's it..no problems with the car as such, just other people  :D

:ffs: :censor: :ffs: :censor: :ffs: :censor: I hate that! Iv got a right dint in my drivers door... soooooo annoying!!!

That's it..no problems with the car as such, just other people  :D

:ffs: :censor: :ffs: :censor: :ffs: :censor: I hate that! Iv got a right dint in my drivers door... soooooo annoying!!!

That's why you find two spaces next to eachother, accidently loose all your vision for a moment, and accidently park over two parking spots. By then then engine has failed and you HAVE to park there :)

Iv got a right dint in my drivers door... soooooo annoying!!!

You haven't seen my door mate, ask any of the Scottish lads! :(

Iv got a right dint in my drivers door... soooooo annoying!!!

You haven't seen my door mate, ask any of the Scottish lads! :(

Don't need to ask, iv seen enough posts about it! They usually go like this:

"Get that door fixed!"

"What about the huge door dint??"

"Forget the mods... fix that door!!!"

Etc...etc...etc!!

P.S. Get that door fixed!!

You could get a 1.3 CDX and get side skirts/spoiler at a later date!

I mean as long as you have the car, the accessories can come with time!

I had and will have a T-Spirit (wrote off old one, awaiting new one!) 1.3 and its a top car, enough power to get about but all the mod cons too and cheaper on the insurance than the YTS.

I think its insurance group 4, not sure what group the CDX is, probably about the same.

They are top cars indeed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links