Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Strut Brace On An 02 T-sport?!

dannyb999

ok, ive got the dyna sports strut brace. and after alot of work taking off wipers, then taking out plastic covers, removing metal casing holding the wiper motor in place, etc etc, ive fitted on the strut brace. it seems to be okay... but a few questions...

1. on my ts there is a bonet switch i think for the alarm, which is bolted on and the switch is closed when the bonnet is. but its in way of the strut. where did anyone else put this? ive kinda wedged it in place as a tempory measure, but need something a bit better than that (see pics!!)

2. the brace is adjustable, do i tighten the bolt up as much as possible on it? or what, ive never fitted or used one of these before..

3. the bolts on the suspension, ive tightened them up as much as i can by hand (im pretty stong lol) but is this good enough? what if they come loose?

4. is there anything else i need to know about this brace and fittign of it??

cheers guys!

Danny

Image011.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image013.jpg

1. completly removed mine

tightened up by hand no issues but may want to check after 1st couple hundred miles

tighten all the bolts up together in bits so that is evenly tight

and btw sounds like u went through a lot of hassel 2 fit it

Hi Danny, I moved my alarm sensor around the corner a little and refited it. I drilled and taped a new hole for it but you may get away with using self tapp screws.

You should really use a torque wrench to ensure all the bolts are tightened up equally. I can't remeber what setting I did to mine now but you can work it out from the size of the nut. There should be some tables on the net somewhere. At very least you should use a spanner to tighten them up finger tight is no good.

HTH

Kevin

1. on my ts there is a bonet switch i think for the alarm, which is bolted on and the switch is closed when the bonnet is. but its in way of the strut. where did anyone else put this? ive kinda wedged it in place as a tempory measure, but need something a bit better than that (see pics!!)

2. the brace is adjustable, do i tighten the bolt up as much as possible on it? or what, ive never fitted or used one of these before..

3. the bolts on the suspension, ive tightened them up as much as i can by hand (im pretty stong lol) but is this good enough? what if they come loose?

4. is there anything else i need to know about this brace and fittign of it??

cheers guys!

Danny

Hi,

the strut top nuts have a torque setting of 39Nm.

You shouldn't adjust the nuts on the brace, just make sure the brace fits nicely over the strut top nuts, adjusting is only needed as part of finetuning your suspension setup.

Cheers, Yves.

the nuts were on so tight, i had to remove all the wipers/covers/ etc because i couldnt get a spanner in to loosen it! :S ive tightened the nuts back up with a sprocket set thing, so its on pretty tight. think that will be good enuf?

I'm new at this so you'll have to bear with me ....

Why are you fitting a strut brace to your cars?

Is there an issue with the front suspension losing it's shape on heavy use, do you notice a difference once it's fitted?

Or is it a pose?

I'm new at this so you'll have to bear with me ....

Why are you fitting a strut brace to your cars?

Is there an issue with the front suspension losing it's shape on heavy use, do you notice a difference once it's fitted?

Or is it a pose?

Not that im an expert, mainly because i dont have a strut brace, but i'll try to help....

A strut brace is fitted from the front left suspension thing to the right one. This stops any 'flexing' in the chassis which is normal on every car. The Yaris has no problems with body control, but a strut brace will stop any of this flexing (well, most of it) and this returns better body control through the twisty bits!

b1ackb1rd - They don't fit on the D4-D's cos of the intercooler if you were wondering! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to lower it for a bit more control in the twisty bits.

The d-4d is deceptively quick, you keep wanting it to go faster then arrive at a bend a sh*t load quicker then you should ... and then the body rolls over like my old dog wanting a tickle!

the strut certainly makes a huge difference tho, my car flies around those twisty bends, althought it just gives me more reason to drive like a rally driver! hmmmmm! ( only on the country lanes of course :P )

strut brace does a wonderful job on the yaris

stiffened mine up no end!