Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

16z Vs 17z

Crisis

I am undecided as to which is better. You can normally get them for very little price difference.

Only thing that puts me off 17z is the "acceleratin loss"

I was going to stick with 16z. But then, the Veilside kit comes along, and basically that needs 17z to be pulled off well and lowered 30mm.

Is the lose of power due to the wheel weight? What if I got Oz Racing 17z? Would it be overly noticable?

I know 16z tyre size should be: 195/45/16

What about 17z? What would be best to keep them faster? 205/40/17?

I've been using a Tire Calculator and their isn't much difference in the radius of those. So Im guessing this speed loss is down to alloy weight. So which makes are the cheapest?

Is their much difference in acceleration change btw 16z and 17z? I know 15z are the best for speed so your probably thinking... "Why not just 15z?". Well I like big wheels, nothing to ground breaking I know.

Also with arch rolling. Does it NEED to be done for 17z? Or with the right offset and tyre size could it be pulled off? Probably get them rolled anyway, cause I hear its not to much (how much are they for people who have had them rolled)?

So in summary:

1.) How can I keep acceleration (or alot of it) for 17z?

2.) Whats best tyre size for 17z?

3.) Best make for light(er) weight alloys.

4.) Arch Rolling? How much?

5.) 16z make the car accelerate slower anyway, so is 17z really that much more?

My thoughts at the moment are

Either 16z, lowered 40mm, [Eventually Booster]

Or 17z lowered 30mm, [Eventually Veilside]

Pretty much I dont wanna change the alloys. So I need to make an early decision which will decide the cars future.

Also T-Sport. Cause I will fit aftermarket rear lights so the rear Veilside valance isn't a problem.

So in summary:

1.) Get lightweight 17z if you want to keep acceleration. Very expensive though.

2.) 205/40/R17 I think is the best tyre size option.

3.) Mainly race spec Japanese alloys are light. European 'in Halfords' usually aren't that light. But be prepared to pay a lot (£1000 +).

4.) £50 a corner? Infact I have no idea.

5.) Depends on the brand/weight. I didn't notice much difference with my 16z. But my mate, in a faster car, noticed a BIG difference with 17z on. Much slower. This is usually because the stock alloy's are actually quite light!

P.S. I think if you get offset of 42 you can lower and it won't rub on 17z. Buy at your own risk though. Plus the deeper the offset the more it'll look like the wheel is hidden away under the arch.

Also why lower more when running 16z? Its the same rolling radius....

Excellent responce from you s0cks, just like I expected.

I never really understood the whole offset thing.

It also seems that to get veilside on the T-Sport will prove hell like.

I noticed the 205/40/17 and 195/45/16 had similar rolling radius.

I guess it will be good ol 16z. Winning the war again. Cause the Veilside with 16z would just look lost I think. Also being a speed manic and a student I guess the 16z would be best, as would the booster.

Cheers s0cks. Glad to hear the 16z are satisfying you.

Everyone thinks, it comes purely down to the wheels, for the weight, but it isn't totally the case. The tyres and air to fill them, which add's a lot to the weight as well.... :thumbsup:

Everyone thinks, it comes purely down to the wheels, for the weight, but it isn't totally the case. The tyres and air to fill them, which add's a lot to the weight as well.... :thumbsup:

Speaking as a Tyrefitter.. i HAVE to agree... you wouldn't beleive the difference in wieght from one tyre to another.

"branded" tyres are usually lighter than the cheaper budget tyres tho.

I'm sure any good tyre retailer would be more than happy to let you feel the difference.

Stay away from Pirelli's... utter crap. (personal opinion)

17s, they look mint and dont slow you down THAT much! its only marginal! and mainly in your head

205/40/17 is best, suppose you could squeexe 215's on but mite baloon and look crap

OZ or if you can afford it go for some proper jap rims

cost me £30 an arch and then a furthar 100 quid on buing various stuff to move the arch liners

NO! as long as the rolling radius is nion the same you wont notice much difference at all

and go for an ET38 offset, less chance of scrubbage, i had 40's in fact and they were even better, but probably on the border line of knocking the geometry out

Knowledge!

Sounds like good.

Another quick thing(s)

So, I fit 205/40/17 and I have an offset of ET38. Would I need to roll arches then? Or could I leave it and roll em later when it comes to lowering about 30-40mm.

Probably going to get Oz Racing wheels anyway, cause they look quality and I just like them... alot.

O yeh, what tyres would you recommend then cfc. Cause I have no idea. Probably go for the ones the garage recommends.

you should be ok without lowering with no arch mods

although itll look like an off roader

and spend GOOD money on tyres!

dont let the garage give you cheap pants tyres like Nankangs as a package deal! the deal will seem cheap but thats cos the tyres are!!

insist on some good ones or buy them separate, toyo proxes are a common favour

*takes notes.

I find alot of garages have like their own deals with tyre brands. So certain garages will sell budgets and then their top line one is always "Goodyear" or something.

Toyo Proxes... seen a few ppl with those on here.

Toyo Proxes T1-S here aswell! I'll be getting Toyo Proxes T1-R next though cos they have superseeded the T1-S! :thumbsup:

what alloys did u have on ur yaris rob? must admit, not seen many yaris's with nice wheels than those, stylish and not to over the top. were they fairly lightweight?

the ones in the garage are wolfrace excite twin blades

i bought them cheap (only 250quid for the wheels)

was in the process of getting some jap rims but crashed the car and wrecked one of my urban racers! and couldnt afford expensive jap wheels :crybaby:

so had to stick with them, they looked kinda cool then i noticed umpteen chav cars end up with them, and found out its a design used by about 4 companys!

Yeh, the companies share the designs. I have those wheels. The wolfrace excite twinblades R08s! In 15" on my Polo. Not bad, bit of a !Removed! to clean all the bits though.

get december banzai theres a supercharged yaris in there lowered on 17's offset ET40 which would prob be best option may not even need arch rolling

and toyo's rule ill never buy cheap tyres again

O yeh, what tyres would you recommend then cfc. Cause I have no idea. Probably go for the ones the garage recommends.

Toyo T1-s are eally good.. or the new Toyo T1-r's..

if they are a little expensive for you.. a cheaper option but still a descent tyre would be Khumo.. better than Falken.. Nankang.. Maxxis.. Stunner.. Stomil etc.

How much are the Proxies then?

I mean looks like you can get 16z with budget tyres for £500 to £600 mark. So how much is it going to add? £200 for the whole tyre upgrade?

Crisis, I'd be tempted to buy the wheels not in a bundle but just separately and then get ur Toyo's off Envy, it'll probably work out cheaper for you! :thumbsup:

really?

Cause I goto this place in Clevdon. Dont a top job with my current alloys. Cheap as chips, even through in all the locking wheels nuts etc for free.

Thing is, if I did buy seperatly, would have to:

a.) Pay Postage

b.) Pay a garage to put the tyres onto the alloys.

c.) Pay a garage to balance.

I know not much, and I will probably do a price check when the time comes, but maybe easier for me to just do it their and then. Perhaps order tyres before hand and take them down with me! Hehe.

Will see.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links