Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Some Amp Questions

richalees

Hey there i was just wondering if anybody could help with the following.

I currently have a JBL amp installed powering the sub and the 6*9's on tri-mode so thats 1x300w and 2x100w I have decided to buy another amp which will run 2 channels at 300W. My plan is to just power the 6*9's with the new amp as thats there max power rating and then use the old 2 100W channels to give some more power to my front components. I have decided to go for less base and more sound so thats why im leaving the one sub at 300W

The questions i have are;

Is the standard Battery ok to power two 600w amps w/o buying a power cap?

Am i right in saying that you only need 1 channel to power the component and its speaker?

Is it possible two wire the amp to the front components from the boot or is it real missions to get the wires from the boot into the front door?

Do i really need a new wiring harness or can i just cover the current cables attached to the component Speakers with a bit of tape and discard them?

Where can i buy some velcro pads to attach my new amp to the back seats?

Cheers everyone any all help is greatly appreciated.

Richard

fist of all... if you gonna buy a new 2ch amp you should use it to drive your front components... not the rear 6x9"... the 300W power rating on your Speakers is most likelly their MAX rating and that really doesn't tell you anything... if your amp is pushing around 50W RMS to each rear speaker then it should be enough - you will not notice much difference if you give them more W... the front compoenents on the other hand will love more power from an amp and that should have a big impact on your whole sound system if you have good component Speakers (the front stage is MUCH more important than the rear speakers)...

yeah, i have a good set of alpine front comps that can take 150w max so i rekon 100w max is enogh is it not? i currently have 100w max going to the 6*9's but they can take 100W RMS 300Wmax so i would really like to amp them more as i was in a friends car who had a pair of 6*9's. he didnt know the ampage but they were 250W max JVC's and it sounded absolutely awesome. I can allways fade in and out.

Always best to keep soundstage at front. And you refer to your friends car... all cars have very different accoustics, so one car could sound totally different to another. I'll try and use my home cinema and audio knowledge to help on speaker wattage too... The wattage is merely the power, the true test is waht ohms and what dB level the Speakers are running at.

For instance, you could run a 500w set of Speakers at 8ohms through 87dB, or you could run 200w Speakers at 4ohms through 88dB and the 200w ones will be much louder. Granted, they will be harder for the system to drive, but you'll need the volume lower, and lesser powered speakers are usually cheaper.

Best bet is a set of 100w speakers running at 4ohms through at a level of 88dB. You will only need a 100w amp, if any, and you'll still get an awesome sound.

Oh... this is the case for Home cinema and theatre acoustics, so it might not apply to a car, as iv said, the caoustics are so different.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links