Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dastek Unichip Results

drb5

Lame. Total and utterly lame. Air pressure was down yestereday, so initial run gave readings lower in bhp and torque than before....namely 114.5 bhp was down to 109 and 107 torque was down to 100. fixed the throttle cable which wasn't giving it's full and with Unichip then fitted and mapped accordingly, it then gave an allmighty 116.8 bhp and 107 torque. On the road it does feel a bit easier to wheelspin in first in the wet, but not enough to warrant £400. Thanks Dastek, but no thanks. :(

If you are not happy with the results you can take it back and have a full refund.

Here's what it says on the Dastek (South Africa) website :-

THAT, IF WITHIN THREE MONTHS A CUSTOMER IS NOT FULLY SATISFIED WITH HIS UNICHIP, TO ENSURE THE JOB WAS DONE PROPERLY AND IF NOT, TO SEE TO IT THAT IT GETS PROPERLY DONE. IF THE JOB WAS CORRECTLY DONE AND THE CUSTOMER IS STILL NOT SATISFIED TO PROMPTLY REMOVE THE UNIT AND REFUND HIM THE FULL AMOUNT INCLUDING INSTALLATION AND MAPPING FEE**

** THIS CODE IS THE OFFICIAL DASTEK CODE BUT TERMS MIGHT VARY SLIGHTLY FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY. PLEASE CHECK THE EXACT TERMS WITH THE MAIN DISTRIBUTOR FOR YOUR COUNTRY IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE SOUTH AFRICA

Eh, i know. I was just putting this up, as no-one else on here(afaik) has tried it and thought i'd let em know, not to bother spendin their hard earned......just like i shouldn't have, but yes, i will get me money back. Dominican Republic is definately a goer then! :thumbsup: :D

I don't think a yarris engine would be able to do much to be honest in the performance stakes ..

Withought blowing the engine, all the tuning is there with the cams etc.

You gotta remember guys that on an NA the only way to really get BIG power is to increase the volume of the engine ..

I don't think a yarris engine would be able to do much to be honest in the performance stakes ..

Withought blowing the engine, all the tuning is there with the cams etc.

You gotta remember guys that on an NA the only way to really get BIG power is to increase the volume of the engine ..

Which is why i'll be driving a tubby before next summer :yes:

So, from an engine already giving more than stock performance, you got a 10.5 % gain in power, and 7% gain in torque, and you're not happy? What were you expecting, 10 second quarter miles?

Bear in mind that no matter how many performance enhancing goodies you throw at it, you still have a standard 1500cc engine under the bonnet of a car designed to take granny shopping. To get 78bhp/litre in bad atmospheric conditions is actually quite commendible. Have another run on the rollers under more favorable conditions and you'll see even more. Just to give you an idea of the effect of low pressure, on a day like today (990mBarA in london, ISO conditions are something like 1020mBarA, so thats quite a drop) my old MR2 was down in power by 16bhp. Might not sound much, but its actually a loss of about 22%! Give it another chance in better weather.

I see on your profile you got yourself a PPE engineering O2 Conditioner, hows that working out for you?

Remember the RG GTT? (havent seen one for ages).. They were only a 1400 Turbo's, but rapid. Supercharge or Turb the TS and the Power/Weight should make it fairly quick? :huh:

O2 conditioner, is getting on fine, thanks. :thumbsup:

Tbh, i didn't expect much. Been there before, not getting what you want and said i wouldn't care again, but i expected more....not that i care or owt, i don't. I knew there was a possibility i would get my money back, so i'd post up results for all to see. These results are with other mods, that....in all fairness, aren't actually any better than stock. So unless you supercharge it, or turbo it, risk melting pistons and the likes, you won't get any reasonable power increase to warrant spending such a massive amount of money on.

B)

hmm... with your exhaust, intake and chip and you're only getting around 10hp increase? that's not much...

I was planing on doing similar mods to my car but now I'm not sure if I should spend that money... I thought you could get that much increase with a good exhaust & intake and maybe go around 120+ hp with a chip.. but 116hp... hmm...

thanks for letting me know i was considering having mine remapped but now no thanks! the yaris chip does its best anyway

Unlucky drb5. Not sure what the problem is. Whats that? A grand's worth of breathing mods? £400 chip and only 105 to 116? Its just not fair.

Kind of sucks, that the car is a fairly poor car for performance mods. Not that it isn't nippy enough - but would have been nice.

This kinda ruins my plans for the Yaris. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm wondering what the point is.... spend my money on other stuff.

hmm... with your exhaust, intake and chip and you're only getting around 10hp increase? that's not much...

I was planing on doing similar mods to my car but now I'm not sure if I should spend that money... I thought you could get that much increase with a good exhaust & intake and maybe go around 120+ hp with a chip.. but 116hp... hmm...

thanks for letting me know i was considering having mine remapped but now  no thanks! the yaris chip does its best anyway

Unlucky drb5. Not sure what the problem is. Whats that? A grand's worth of breathing mods? £400 chip and only 105 to 116? Its just not fair.

Kind of sucks, that the car is a fairly poor car for performance mods. Not that it isn't nippy enough - but would have been nice.

What exactly are you lot expecting? Its a 1500cc sewing machine engine for goodness sakes... and given the low ambient pressure, i think he did !Removed! well to get the figures he did. Anyway, you cant judge on numbers alone, (although frankly a 1.5 litre shopping cart engine putting out that kind of power sounds very healthy to me), Lets take a look at the power/torque curves before and after fitment, and see what's really going on...

Remember this car and engine was never designed with increased power outputs in mind. Given the low cost of the chip, I'd say it was the most bhp/£ you're going to find. (And thats real bhp, not the kind of "10% extra" max power air filter <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s...)

Fair points GSB, but i'm thinking with the same mods on say, a Peugeot 106 GTI, you'd get more? Maybe not, i don't know, but would have thought you could have got more.

If i could be ar5ed putting the graphs up, i would, but i can tell you that the curves are pretty much exactly the same, except it takes MORE of a dip down, at 2,700 revs in the torque. BHP is near enough the exact same, although doesn't take any dip after 6k.

Looking at the graphs from Thursday, from run 1, when Jerry initially tried the car, it got 109 BHP and 103 torque, but with the adjusted throttle cable, a bent accelerator pedal(wasn't going all the way down :wacko: ) and the chip, it went up to116.8 BHP and 107.4 torque. Maybe it is not too bad for the wee car, but not enough for me to say, i want to keep the chip. Thats all. ;)

Fair points GSB, but i'm thinking with the same mods on say, a Peugeot 106 GTI, you'd get more? Maybe not, i don't know, but would have thought you could have got more.

Its possible, but then the 106 engine is a very old design, the 90bhp unit in my '97 106 is now seeing service in more modern cars like the Citroen C3 and C4 with an additional 20 or 30 bhp. Toyota dont seem to leave lot of room for improvment in the latest engines, which makes it harder and more expensive to get even a little bit of extra power. Think back a few years to the old A-series engine in the mini, with a bit of work and not too much expense you could double the power output! modern engines are so well designed now that there is really very little scope for easy improvements.

Coolio. :thumbsup:

See where your going there. Too used to the Scoob still, lol. :rolleyes:

At least, it's now been tried. Maybe it'll help people to not let them waste their money on them. ;)

Only 116mph *****!!! On the 106 mate they have 120bhp as standard with a chip, filter and exhaust they do 180bhp :eek:

Its a 1500cc sewing machine engine for goodness sakes
a 1.5 litre shopping cart engine

theres no need for that :angry:

theres no need for that  :angry:

Just trying to hammer home the grim reality that this aint no cosworth YB, its not going to be easy to extract more power with out really going to work on the internals. Put it this way. 150bhp would be a "nice" amount of power for the Yaris to play with, but thats going to need a specific output of 100bhp per litre, something only a handful of production cars actually manage, and usually only with the aid of stratospheric rev limits. It's not realistically achievable on the Yaris without resorting to Forced Induction.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links