Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need A Work Horse

SMW

I need a car that is economical and reliable (so I guess I'm looking at a diesel).

I plan to stop using the Lex for work as it has such poor mpg and I have to park in some dodgy places - the Lex will become the evening / weekend car and will be used by Mrs SMW to ferry the kids round etc. which I am happy with because it's so safe.

So that leaves me needing a car to get to work in - I cover about 16 000 miles a year doing the daily commute - mainly on early morning / afternoon motorway journeys.

Spec and performance is unimportant – (I've got the Lex to love) - this car needs to be a 'worker'. Starting first time is vital as I start work early in the morning and need the reliability. Returning good mpg is also important to me - that’s the trade off for having a boring car !

Running costs / insurance should be reasonable.

I'm open to any suggestions except for obvious **** like Ford, Kia etc.

Budget is around £8 - 9 000.

Suggestions . . . . .

yaris mate.. for that price you could pick up something really decenet.. if not new

Yaris diesel - you should get a phase 2 T-3 for that sort of money, or a higher spec Phase 1...

55mpg despite a lead foot - overall you're looking at about 22p per mile taking everything into account (according to Glass's).

I've covered about 20,000 miles over about 8 months this year in mine (well, 2 of them...) and I can tell you they're safe :rolleyes: as well as comfortable.

Come... join us.....

Alan

True enought Ryan...

We're thinking of something small and newish, but a diesel Golf, Passat or -heck- a Skoda Octavia would probably be the best choice...

A

I am prepared to be tied to a stake and burnt for being a traitor and heretic :crybaby:

A4?

done it again...

True enought Ryan...

We're thinking of something small and newish, but a diesel Golf, Passat or -heck- a Skoda Octavia would probably be the best choice...

A

I am prepared to be tied to a stake and burnt for being a traitor and heretic :crybaby:

A4?

done it again...

beat me to it, diesel version superb and well within budget

Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D T3 5-Dr £7,995 1,825 miles. Finished in Eclipse Black with grey cloth interior. Specification includes adjustable steering wheel, anti-lock brakes, central locking, drivers air bag, electric windows, engine immobiliser, head rests, headlamp adjustment, rear wash wipe and trip computer. One previous registered keeper. Demonstrator.

Here

beat me to it, diesel version superb and well within budget

Yeah my dad used to have the 1.9 TDi Passat and he loved it, torque was amazing and very comfortable and that was only the 100bhp version! Would have liked to have tried the 130bhp version! :D

I'd get a Seat Ibiza TDi sport (130bhp model) chip it (£400 gets you 190bhp) and the in gear times are exactly the same as a Porcshe 911 GT!....and still get 50mpg

I'd get a Seat Ibiza TDi sport

Did he not say reliable? Okay same VAG engines or wotever but its not as well put together as a VW imo! :thumbsup:

Thanks for replies - I already have a Yaris as well as the Lex - I do like it but I find cornering a bit iffy and also quite a bit of road noise which might annoy me on my 'mainly motorway' journey.

The one I have is a 1.3 GLS pre face lift.

I might try a diesel one (Yaris) but I was thinking more corolla (which I know nothing about) or maybe a Pug 306 (waits to be flamed !)

or maybe a Pug 306 (waits to be flamed !)

And if you buy one deservedly so! :P

Trust me mate, it'll fall to bits, Japanese or German is the forward! :thumbsup:

If you're doing mainly motorway miles, then small cars and hatchbacks are not ideal, but for your budget there's little to choose from that's half decent.

You did say not Ford - but I think if you look past the stereotype, the mondeo is not bad for the money you pay. Also Rover 400/45 series. Megane? If you're going 2nd hand and want to stay in Toy/Lex territory - CarinaE?

Stay away from Pugs - poor build quality and dogged by electrical faults.

astra diesels are very good runabouts. 3 door coupe.

You did say not Ford - but I think if you look past the stereotype, the mondeo is not bad for the money you pay. Also Rover 400/45 series. Megane? If you're going 2nd hand and want to stay in Toy/Lex territory - CarinaE?

Yes a Mondeo would be very good and comfortable (nice driving position) but front suspension does usually require new bushes every £30,000 miles :angry:

A CarinaE would be an ace choice.

Both the above can be bought in superb condition for half your budget.

VW Passat? :yes:

I'll get my coat! :wacko:

Don't get your coat, I've had a Passat Estate although petrol and to be honest it was a !Removed! good car, was doing a silly amount of mileage and never had any problems, the car was comfy and it didn't matter how much weight we threw in the back...

Great Workhorse as a sensible option...

Only one prob... It's not a toyota

As previously said the Mondeo isn't such a bad car (i have one :ph34r: ).

Budget wise I can't fault it, I paid £3500 1 year ago for a V 99 reg 2.0 zetec with 19000 miles on the clock (still only 26000).

It does what it is says on the tin and loves the motorway. 36mpg air con, TC, elecy everything inc seats, heated front windscreen and is very comfortable if not slightly firm.

The zetec or ghia x would be the models to go for as they have all the gadgets.

Now I will get my coat :ph34r: