Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Standard Celica Alarm

sotal

My Alarm has gone off 3 times in the last week :ffs: with no apparent reason. I have found the info mrfil13 posted in the pinned topic about finding out what caused the alarm to go off, but where are the interior sensors? On other cars I have seen you could see funny little sensors on either side of the windscreen - but I can't find anything in the celica.

Somebody also told me that if you leave the air vent open, the wind can set the alarm off. Is this true?

Any info or anything to try would be great. :help:

Thought i would add something about the stock alarm.

If the alarm goes off, to find out what set it off, check the red light when you put the ignition on.

If the red light flashes 5 times quickly in 3 sets then it was the doors that set it off

4 times quickly in a set of 3 its the boot or bonnet

3 times slowly it was the interior sensers.

the ultra sonics work off air pressure , so leaving a vent open in theory may set it off .i had a stock alarm in my old celica, didnt notice any sensors in that one.

cheers marc,

Seems strange if it is the vents - don't know of anything I have changed recently. I was thinking there would be a little ultra sonic sensor somewhere that I could clean

oh well, atleast it reminds the neighbours that it has an alarm! So they shouldn't go nicking it!!! :D

I have a clifford concept in KITT and over the last week it must have gone of at least 20 times. Its a good thing it comes with a lifetime guarauntee... I am going to need it at this rate . :angry:

The chap came out to look at it and he said the proximty sensor was to sensitive Some lose change was interfering with the rays it emits sp? :eek: and has adjusted the setting accordingly.

strange....... no one has tampered with it since he installed it almost a year ago. ;)

Ash :thumbsup:

If it's the standard (TVIS or something) alarm then the sensitivity can be adjusted - I had to have that done on every Celica I've ever had (2 gen6's and a gen7).

It's nearly always the ultrasonic sensor that sets off car alarms. It's an analogue measurement, whereas things like door switches are clear cut, open or closed. They nearly always have a sensitivity pot that can be adjusted. You just need to find it... Trimming component values can creep slightly over time making these things more (or less) sensitive.

Some ultrasonics are set so sensitive, even a fly trapped in the car can set it off, but that's unusual this time of year. I think ultrasonic sensors detect air pressure changes, so leaving a window ajar, or a sunroof open can trigger them. I guess if it is windy, then air blowing in through the vents could set it off.

Asha, an ultrasonic sensor should not be affected by coins. You may well have a microwave sensor instead/as well, and that could well be affected by metal objects. If I park close to another car, and it is raining, my microwave sensor sometimes complains. Microwave sensors need to be centrally mounted in the vehicle, so they are usually found behind the courtesy light, or more often somewhere under the centre console. They also have trimming pots for sensitivity.

It's nearly always the ultrasonic sensor that sets off car alarms. It's an analogue measurement, whereas things like door switches are clear cut, open or closed. They nearly always have a sensitivity pot that can be adjusted. You just need to find it...  Trimming component values can creep slightly over time making these things more (or less) sensitive.

Some ultrasonics are set so sensitive, even a fly trapped in the car can set it off, but that's unusual this time of year. I think ultrasonic sensors detect air pressure changes, so leaving a window ajar, or a sunroof open can trigger them. I guess if it is windy, then air blowing in through the vents could set it off.

Asha, an ultrasonic sensor should not be affected by coins. You may well have a microwave sensor instead/as well, and that could well be affected by metal objects. If I park close to another car, and it is raining, my microwave sensor sometimes complains. Microwave sensors need to be centrally mounted in the vehicle, so they are usually found behind the courtesy light, or more often somewhere under the centre console. They also have trimming pots for sensitivity.

Thanks for the info my sensor is just infront of the gear stick. :thumbsup:

Lift out the gear lever surround, and your see a electrical unit with an adjustable screw drive slot....adjust and test.

Cheers Bob :thumbsup: ,

I'll have a look - It hasn't gone off again since I posted, so I'll wait till next time it goes off.

I'll turn it left first 1/4 of a turn and see if it gets worse, if it's worse then I'll turn it right 1/2 turn and see if that improves.

Does that sound the right way to test it???

When i had my Gen 6, i took a look at the adjuster ( out of curiosity ), seem to remember it having + & - on the screw :)

• 2 weeks later...

to check for ultrasonics going off a sat in the car, set the alarm waited a few mins then moved around abit till they went off, i never managed to find an adjustment screw, but when the guy came and removed my alarm which was behined the glove box there was an adjustmant screw on that.

My Alarm was going off everytime i set it so i got a new alarm. The ultrasonics were well an truly screwed.

If its happened all the time i would presume the setting is to high for your motion sensers, but if it's just started happening i would presume something is screwed, when i got my new alarm fitted the fitter said the alarms start to screw up around 90k on the gen 6.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links