Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 In The Snow

djsmail1

Merry Christmas everyone,

I've just experienced the handling properties of my new Rav (54reg, xt3 5 door) in the snow for the first time. I wasn't impressed. I could feel it sliding all over the road. My old freelander wouldn't have done that. But then the snow turned to ice very quickly so perhaps I'm being unfair.

Question then is what the rest of you think about your Rav in the snow? Is it good? Is it best to leave it at home? I bought the Rav on the expectation that it would be a great all weather vehicle. Just a bit concerned now that maybe it isn't.

Thanks

Dave

Had the Rav4 for 2 Months now and no snow in Cambridgeshire yet !!

Our Xt4 has Vsc and traction control so we might fare better.

Will let you know if/when it happens.

Haven't got any snow yet so can't say. However, on a greasy road I get very bad understeer on small round abouts and the VSC does not kick in. But, in other cases when I have not felt any movement the VSC has kicked in.

Having said that, I do drive mine quite hard so it's to be expected though :o

I think it's probably not too fair to expect the Rav to perform that well in snow or ice as the tyres fitted as standard are not intended for snow use. I've driven all sorts of 4wd vehicles (military) and none (incl LR etc) are any use unless the tyres are the right tread type (or chained/studded) for snow. In fact being 4wd on road tyres will make the vehicle worse than 2wd in really slippery conditions as all 4 wheels are spinning instead of just 2! Sounds odd but that's true.

Merry Christmas everyone,

I've just experienced the handling properties of my new Rav (54reg, xt3 5 door) in the snow for the first time. I wasn't impressed. I could feel it sliding all over the road. My old freelander wouldn't have done that. But then the snow turned to ice very quickly so perhaps I'm being unfair.

Question then is what the rest of you think about your Rav in the snow? Is it good? Is it best to leave it at home? I bought the Rav on the expectation that it would be a great all weather vehicle. Just a bit concerned now that maybe it isn't.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

So far no snow in the Netherlands...but i'll keep you posted!!

Sold my Rav 4 in the summer of 2002 ,so never got to drive it in the snow :( , would have been fun as it had town & country tyres on it :) .

The week before Xmas experienced first bit of snow in South Wales in my new RAV4 XT5 and was actually very impressed. My parents have a ludicrously steep drive and at a family do my RAV was the only vehicle that got to the top. I'm not an experienced 4 wheel driver so I have little to which compare but it certainly did the job I imagined.

• 1 month later...

I've also experienced poor roadholding, even in a light covering of snow, in my 51 ukspec Rav NRG, but never had any problems with my previous 3 ravs, can anyone recommend any good tyres to use instead of the Bridgestone Duelers it came fitted with.

mines got toyo tranpath tyres on it and they are top drawer! check out toyo website for details :thumbsup:

Thanks to you wealthy people I probably wont be joining you with a new Rav 4 after reading Dave dismail1s letter.

I have a Rav4 1996 5 dr Automatic, in excellent condition, dealer serviced and normally love it BUT since the recent snow I am very wary and unlikely to have another.

It slid all over the place trying to pull off my sloping drive and slid easily at very very low speeds on the road even when not under braking.

My wifes ancient Fiat Pand Selecta 2 wd AUTOMATIC (yes automatic Panda) did everything totally unfazed.

It pulled straight off the drive, travelled fine at all speeds and braked as normal no problems at all on packed frozen snow.

No I will not be buying a Panda but am certainly thinking that either conventional 4 wd is the way to go or maybe a four wheel drive car like an Audi is better.

The RAV is great in other ways and pulls my caravan suberbly.

V. Dissapointed

R1Dave

Hi Dave,

First time sinds 20 years there has been falling serious snow in the Netherlands.

Near by Schiphol we have +/- 10 till 15 inch snow.

And the first time driving with our RAV in the snow was a great experience!!

So much grip (without traction crontrol) with the Bridgstone's!!

I would say use the original tires the're fine.

Jaco :)

Dave, what rubber do you have on your wheels?

I ask because I have a 2004 XT with the standard Bridgestones fitted. Drove it in the snow a couple of weeks ago was very impressed, considering that they are standard road tires not off raod or snow tires.

I only slid once and that was because I pushed it to see what would happen. At all other times it was very stable and did not slide once. The time I pushed it I was very, very impressed with the way the electronics handled the situation and had me back on track very quickly with no fuss.

I ask because I have a 2004 XT with the standard Bridgestones fitted. Drove it in the snow a couple of weeks ago was very impressed, considering that they are standard road tires not off raod or snow tires.

I only slid once and that was because I pushed it to see what would happen. At all other times it was very stable and did not slide once. The time I pushed it I was very, very impressed with the way the electronics handled the situation and had me back on track very quickly with no fuss.

Thanks for replying, Mines got Michelin Syncrone Road tyres

Dave

Hey guys, I live in the Scottish outback where snow is a frequent friend. My 2000 gx 5 door has seen plenty of the white stuff and I personnally am ex military being used to land rover etc. May I make some suggestions. Firstly sort out the tires. I am running Michelin 4x4 Synchrones. Secondly remember that there is a lot of power going to the wheels so be gentle with the right foot.....mine gets really skittish if planted firmly to the floor. Believe me this machine can handle anything the uk can throw at us!

Absolutely! Get the tyres sorted and you'll be away. If RAVs were useless in the snow then my parents wouldn't be on their third. This year I'm even running my Yaris on winter tyres and the difference is phenomenal.

The stock tyres are perfect for town and normal to mucky road use, but snow is slightly different.

Good luck,

Alan

Absolutely! Get the tyres sorted and you'll be away. If RAVs were useless in the snow then my parents wouldn't be on their third. This year I'm even running my Yaris on winter tyres and the difference is phenomenal.

The stock tyres are perfect for town and normal to mucky road use, but snow is slightly different.

Good luck,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Are the winter tyres also Brigestones?

Jaco

Hi Jaco,

My parent's tyres are Bridgestones fitter to a 2005 XT5 D-4D, but the ones on my Yaris (a 2004 D-4D) are Vredstein Snowtrac 2s - aeons better than the standard fit Goodyear GT2s.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links