Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annoying Computer Niggle!

Karma Supra

I received my new laptop last week.. very happy with it, and its all set up the way I like it!

There are a couple of little things that are really annoying me though!!!!

Outlook express always loaded up on system start up, I have since installed outlook, now outlook loads up, but its not in the "startup" folder, and I can't see any options saying "start on system startup" anywhere to un check??? How do I stop it!

Windows messenger.

Its still there.. complete with plinky plonky noises....I upgraded to 6.2 and the old one is still there, despite it being unchecked from the windows setup in add/remove programs! What do I do to get shot?

Apart from those its great! silent, good Battery life... wireless is fantastic :thumbsup:

Wuwahahahah whatcha get??

This is cool because we can all go online at once ... no fighting with Milly for net access :rolleyes:

If you want to uninstall ‘Windows Messenger’ and keep ‘MSN Messenger’ which is better, then follow this guide…

Start

Select: Run

Type: Cmd

Right click and Paste this code, hit ‘Return’:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Windows messenger gone for good!

:thumbsup:

Outlook express always loaded up on system start up, I have since installed outlook, now outlook loads up, but its not in the "startup" folder, and I can't see any options saying "start on system startup" anywhere to un check??? How do I stop it!

Bit confused here, can you explain what you want?

A Vaio very nice Karma, I've got a Vaio desktop up the stairs, its not goin anywhere near the 'net though! :thumbsup:

OK messenger gone!!!! cheers :thumbsup:

Basicly, whenever windows starts, whatever the default email program is launches as well... its just annoying and I'd like it not to do it, but its hardly critical!!! I can't see anything (email related) in the startup tab on msconfig either :S

Cheers so far guys!!!!!

Ryan.. ta! I have always liked the Vaio kit, it might not be the best "value for money" stuff.. but its well built and sexy :lol: The vaio desktops are nice... but I build my own desktops for upgradability... have a nice 19" sony tft tho :thumbsup:

Try this: When you have I.E open, for example reading the TOC pages, go to ‘Tools’, Internet Options, Programmes, select the E-Mail option you want and try un-ticking (if its ticked) the box at the bottom where it says: Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser.

:thumbsup:

lol sorry.... XP pro :thumbsup: never mentioned that :lol:

I checked the programs list.... its the same setup as my desktop.... still no joy.. I ever pressed ok again incase anything was corupted...... still no joy....

how odd :rolleyes:

Best way to stop an un-wanted program from starting.....delete it :D

If you dont use outlook express then remove it from the system :thumbsup:

Should be in add/remove programs (depending on the way it was installed), otherwise we can delete the exe and remove and relevant registry entries :thumbsup:

I did remove outlook express......

I replaced it with outlook... now that start too!!!!!

Get rid of both Outlook and Outlook Express... use Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail and Mozilla Firefox for browsing... just my 2p.

When checking startup folders, don't just check under your profile, check under 'default user' and 'all users' also.

Should be able to stop it using MSCONFIG anyway. Strange.

I have to use outlook as the entire company uses the online diary feature as I have people to book my apointments for me, so they need to constantly check my diary in an up to date form....

I tried checking the other user accounts as my first "port of call"

Still no joy....

I'm wondering if its anything to do with the vaio software bundled on there???

Cheers for your help so far people.... :thumbsup:

I have Outlook on my works laptop and it also used to start up with windows. There are options available in the program to stop it from doing this. I just need to boot up my laptop and find where the settings are now...

Be Right Back ;)

I can't seem to find it in the Tools>Options Menu...

I must have disabled it in the start menu Start>Settings>Task Bar and Start Menu. If it's not already listed in the start menue, try adding it, rebooting and then deleting it, rebooting??? :wacko:

Search in Help for "Auto Start" options as well :thumbsup:

Dunno what else to sugest. I can't remember exactly what I did to disable Outlook auto start :rolleyes:

All you want to do is stop outlook from starting on startup?? and it's not in the startup folder in porgrams? if so

start -> run

type regedit

navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There maybe an entry in there for outlook.exe delete it dude :thumbsup:

and if it is not there check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Garrick, Andy, cheers..

I tried both but still no joy.....

I have tried all the logical steps... might just uninstall outlook, restart, hopefully norton will pick up where ever the shortcut is as dead, remove it, then I re install and restart.......

gotta be an easier way tho!! :ffs:

WEll I reformatted the lot...

Windows went back on from the incredibly annoying recovery disks that also installed a whole manner of other crud that I didn't want.... and all was well......

Then I put SP2 on and its doing it again.......

RRRRRRRAAAAAARRRRRR

It has to be the vaio software on it...... :crybaby:

Contact the place that sold you the laptop and software, maybe they have a way around it??? :wacko:

My first PC was supplied by Time Computers and was the biggest pile of s :censor: t ever. Even after formatting a number of times I still found Time related gubbins cropping in until I realised it was the drivers they supplied with the machine. All was good after downloading new drivers from the web :thumbsup: Well with the exception of non-compatible hardware installed on the motherboard by Time and the minute hard disk :ffs:

All sorted now... Bios update solved it...

Thanks for all your help guys!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: