Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Technical Information Request On Rubber Plugs

Alberto Michelatti

I picked up a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i sedan automatic from my dealer on 12/14/2004 and some days later I found in the glove compartment two rubber plugs (Toyota part number: "90950-01550") in a transparent plastic bag.

Watching this bag by day I found, in some languages, this notice: "IMPORTANT - TO PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTOR: INSERT THESE RUBBER PLUGS INTO THE HOLES OF THE CENTER FLOOR SIDE MEMBER EXTENSIONS"; on the bag there was also a drawing showing the point in which the rubber plug, on every side, must be applied to.

I checked under the floor and actually there was two holes exactly of the same size of the plugs; I figured that these holes are two of the holding points of the bodyframe on the production line and that the plugs pourpose is to avoid that dirt, water and salted gravel can reach structural elements of the car, causing potentially rust: so I fitted it on in two minutes.

Thinking obviously of a forgetfulness by the dealer's prep guys, I sent him an email explaining, in a kind way, what he should have to remember to his employees.

Some days later he told me by phone that the plugs are intentionally leaved off because the cold and wet climate in which I live (I live near Trento, in the Alps, more or less between Verona - "Romeo & Juliet" - and Innsbruck, Austria) can favour moisture stagnating inside bodyframe, causing potentially rust; he told me too that in case of hot and dry climates these plugs are fitted.

Absolutely not persuaded by this explanation (if the dealer is true, why the word "IMPORTANT" is in red? why there is no notice like "for dry climates only") I made some investigations in internet, finding nothing of official: someone says that these holes are for shipping tie down transportation pourposes; someone says that they are for water draining pourposes; on one Honda Odyssey fun site ( http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.p...15&pagenumber=1 ) they say that the plugs (similar to Toyota ones) are not fitted in Japan for shipping reasons and that, on some models (Honda Pilot, for example), they are plugged just to reduce noises inside the cabin, and they are not intended for water draining pourposes (in fact all around there are many others holes, i.e. the area is not water tight).

So, there is anyone that please can help me to find out or send me possibly an official Toyota tech paper which explains exactly for what these plugs are intended for and, possibly, what are the consequences for non fitting them: rust by salted gravel entrance? more noise only?

The story of fitting-non fitting them depening by the climate is official or not?

Thanks to everybody for every possible tip!

I personally would keep the plugs in. It does not seem a good idea to have holes in body members which will let in potentially large ammounts of moisture etc. Perhaps you could spray inside the box sections with a damp proofing compound such as `waxoil` before fitting the plugs? :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome,

Put the plugs in, it will give you less road noise. The TSB is for a Camry but it was the first related document I found in my collection. Hence also the difference in part numbers (90950-01259 vs 90950-01550)

pg009010ps.png

Cheers, Yves.

Welcome to the club Alberto.

I would agree with daktari and use a moisture repellant :thumbsup:

Les

Thank you all for the tips (I can reply you only now because of Christmas celebrations with my relatives, sorry...)!

Soon I will check under my car floor to see if in the area of the holes there are small water draining holes, like in Honda cars: if so, i think i can leave the plugs in without any problem; if not, I think that until I find an official Toyota tech paper explaining the pourpose of the rubber plugs, it's however better to listen the Toyota engineers who projected the car (on the plastic bag there is the mark "made in japan") rather than my dealer's prep guys: so I'll leave the plugs in.

Thank you for the anti-moisture wax compound injection advise but, in my opinion, i think that the car internal bodyframe structure is already treated so in the production line, and, surely, all the body steel is zinc-coated (in Italy the rust side-to-side corrosion warranty is of twelve years): what I don't like is thinking that, leaving the plugs off, from the two holes (which are near the rear wheels tyres) salted gravel can reach and scratch the production applied anti-rust coatings and treatments: due to zinc-coated surfaces, the corrosion wuold be restricted, but I don't like this idea at all; moreover, small pets can reach from there sophisticated electronical circuits (VSC/ABS/EBD/BAS/TRC) and systems like that.

Thank you all.

P.S.: I'm not sure I'll can reply you daily, so excuse me for it (and for my bad english too)!

P.S. II: Thank you yvvan, you have found what i was looking for!!!

I'm very sorry... I forgot it... merry Christmas and happy new 2005 to you all!!!

Hi to everybody!

Excuse me if I haven't replied you earlier, but I was still waiting for an answer from Toyota Europe Customer Care (please, don't start laughing... give me a minute to explain...), which, with very kind manners, have gived to me the same answer that you gave me too (Yves, thanks a lot again!!), but, now, this answer is Toyota-Europe-Customer-Care official, for all the Toyota Owners.

This is the answer, in relation to fitting-non fitting the rubber body plugs (Toyota part number: "90950-01550") depending by the climate:

"Kind customer, in relation to your request we wish you to inform that the "body rubber plugs" must be inserted in their respective holes regardless of the climate" (I wish I have translated correctly).

For the italian people: "Gentile cliente, in relazione alla sua richiesta desideriamo informarla che i tappi "fondoscocca" devono essere inseriti nel loro alloggiamento a prescindere dal clima".

The Toyota Europe Customer Care e-mail address is: "Customer.Info@toyota-europe.com"

Cheers, Alberto.

P.S.: I'm not sure I can reply you daily, so excuse me for this (end four may bed englisch to).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links