Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question

DazH

I know a few members work in insurance on here so I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have. As some will know, my car was involved in a bizarre accident involving an incompetent council worker and a couch :D

Thing is, the accident wasn't my fault so their insurance is gonna have to pay up. I know the bodyshop manager where it'll be repaired or written off and today he rang to let me know the repair bill will be £2000 :eek: As far as I'm aware it's borderline as a write off due to it's value which is approx £3-3.5k. BUT!!! what about all the extras the car has, I'll never replace this with a car of the same spec for that kind of money :angry: Secondly if it is a write off, is it possible I could buy it back from insurance co to repair myself without it being recorded as a write off?

Just thinking (hoping) I could actually come out of this with a bit money left over to buy a cheap MR2 as a little runaround :rolleyes:

Hiya,

It sounds like your car will be classed as "uneconomical to repair" (cant remember the actual salvage category that is though sorry) and most, if not all insurers will allow you to "buy back the salvage" after they have written it off...meaning you can get the actual car back, and there are some things you have to do to get the car back onto the road, I think one of them includes getting it re-mot'ed. When you speak to them next tell them you are really wanting to keep the car and then they should go through the process in more detail.

Sorry I am a bit brief, I just take the first reports of claims and "get the ball rolling" so I don't have a lot of in depth knowledge about how claims are dealt with after we have done our bit.

Blue

he rang to let me know the repair bill will be £2000 :eek: 

:eek: Damn, I hope you get it back. Sounds like it must have been a nasty one. Why do these things seem to happen to decent cars... :(

Thanks for that Blue, will try to speak to them when assesor has been out :thumbsup:

Damage doesn't look that bad really Si, it's the labour and parts that bumped the price up, never mind I'm gonna get drunk now :D

Thanks for that Blue, will try to speak to them when assesor has been out :thumbsup:

Damage doesn't look that bad really Si, it's the labour and parts that bumped the price up, never mind I'm gonna get drunk now :D

Ah alcohol - it soothes the pain. :D

If your car is a cat C write off most insurers will allow you to buy the car back for the salvage value.

For the car to be able to be re insurered again (it will be recorded as a write off on a data base that all insurers will use) It needs a new MOT and a formal inspection from an engineer to confirm repair is all ok and up to quality for the road.

If the car is sold in the future you must provide detail that it has been written off. It will be worth 10% less than a equal non written off model.

If you have all your mods on your policy your insurer will take this into account when they offer you the pre accident value for settlement. By accepting the pre accident value they dont have to sell the car, so ask the question before you accept the offer of settlement.

Best of luck mate :thumbsup:

Would it cost more to insure if it's been a write-off?

It shouldnt. Just means that if it was written off again you would get the correct value.

Thanks for that info FineCactus, would sail through an MOT once wing and windscreen is replaced, they checked alignment etc and all it had done was knock tracking out. It's just cosmetic damage luckily so will keep fingers crossed :thumbsup:

If your car is a cat C write off most insurers will allow you to buy the car back for the salvage value.

For the car to be able to be re insurered again (it will be recorded as a write off on a data base that all insurers will use) It needs a new MOT and a formal inspection from an engineer to confirm repair is all ok and up to quality for the road.

If the car is sold in the future you must provide detail that it has been written off. It will be worth 10% less than a equal non written off model.

If you have all your mods on your policy your insurer will take this into account when they offer you the pre accident value for settlement. By accepting the pre accident value they dont have to sell the car, so ask the question before you accept the offer of settlement.

Thanks for that FineCactus, I didnt know some of that stuff!!

Is the database written off cars are added to the MIAFTR??

I have to admit been looking on Autotrader site and I've seen a couple motors that I quite fancy, I'm beginning to hope it does get written off :rolleyes:

Thanks for that FineCactus, I didnt know some of that stuff!!

Is the database written off cars are added to the MIAFTR??

Yes any car that is a insurance write of is recorded against a data-base called MIAFTR

God im sad, Im doing the diploma of Insurance for work. Day by day im filling my head with dull insurance knowledge :wacko:

Yes any car that is a insurance write of is recorded against a data-base called MIAFTR

God im sad, Im doing the diploma of Insurance for work. Day by day im filling my head with dull insurance knowledge :wacko:

I'm doing the same!! I'm also gonna do the FIT exam in April, along with 5 others in my office..so I will evemntually hopefully have an exam qualification in it aswelll..now that must be sad lol!

Is it with the CII?

If it is I've done that one. What Im doing now has about 6 exams and about 30 course work assignments. Should be worth it in the long run. :eek:

Is it with the CII?

If it is I've done that one. What Im doing now has about 6 exams and about 30 course work assignments. Should be worth it in the long run. :eek:

Yeah that's the one - it's the Foundation Insurance Test run by the CII, what's it like? Did you pass 1st go? The company I work for are paying for the revision stuff and the examination fees etc :) which one are you doing at the mo?

Just one more question (at the minute anyway :P ), how long does it take for the insurance assesor to come out, I'm getting a little impatient now, I know it's been over christmas and all that but I still haven't had any communication off the other insurance co yet :angry:

Mine have been on the phone and sent letters etc and been quite helpful, apart from the personal injury people pestering the life out of me cos I don't want to claim for injury. I wasn't injured!! but they still expect me to claim ;) No wonder premiums are so high <_<

Sorry to hear about the accident Daz... Hope it works out the way you want.. :yes:

Seems like the season for it on TOC.. along with breakins.. :!Removed!:

Is it with the CII?

Yeah that's the one - it's the Foundation Insurance Test run by the CII, what's it like? Did you pass 1st go? The company I work for are paying for the revision stuff and the examination fees etc :) which one are you doing at the mo?

Just one more question (at the minute anyway :P ), how long does it take for the insurance assesor to come out, I'm getting a little impatient now, I know it's been over christmas and all that but I still haven't had any communication off the other insurance co yet :angry:

Mine have been on the phone and sent letters etc and been quite helpful, apart from the personal injury people pestering the life out of me cos I don't want to claim for injury. I wasn't injured!! but they still expect me to claim ;)  No wonder premiums are so high <_<

Insurance assesment will be sub contracted out by your insurer. Depending on how busy the company is will depend on whan they come out. The General Insuance Standards Council say a claim should be sorted in 14 day's. But lets face it that doenst happen much! To put the wind up them quote the "A.B.I and the G.I.S.C requirements to the claim handler. If the handler knows his stuff he will get going. Then say if you dont get a assement in 5 days your going to the A.B.I etc :thumbsup:

Blue84..

I have done the 1st exam which is the foundation which i think they called "IF1"

It was ok bit boring as you would expect, 100 multipul choice. I had to go to the Moat House hotel in watford to do it. Took about an hour and a half to do. And I passed 1st time :P

What Im doing now is IF4 which is far more my kinda thing "claims handling" As Im a technical personal injury claims handler at the Motor Insurers Bureau its more related to what im doing every day.

If you get stuck on any of the assignments give me a shout on PM :thumbsup:

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Got all sorted today, bodyshop rang to say repairs had been given the go ahead, hopefully a week or so and I'll have it back :D

What Im doing now is IF4 which is far more my kinda thing "claims handling" As Im a technical personal injury claims handler at the Motor Insurers Bureau its more related to what im doing every day.

If you get stuck on any of the assignments give me a shout on PM  :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I've got to start revising for it..I've left my folder on my sideboard thinking I will remember to start revising but I havent yet :unsure: I did only get it just before Christmas though!

Ah you work for the MIB, the office is in Milton Keynes isnt it?

I've often set up claims you guys have sent to the company I work for...there is always a nice thick lot of papers too!! Well most of the time anyway :P

If you get stuck on any of the assignments give me a shout on PM  :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I've got to start revising for it..I've left my folder on my sideboard thinking I will remember to start revising but I havent yet :unsure: I did only get it just before Christmas though!

Ah you work for the MIB, the office is in Milton Keynes isnt it?

I've often set up claims you guys have sent to the company I work for...there is always a nice thick lot of papers too!! Well most of the time anyway :P

Yep the office is in MK.

And yes were not going to do the claims unless we have too. We have on average 1500 claims a week as a company. So if we can find insurance in place the first thing we do is pass them over. :D