Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Got A Beams Celica

de bong

Hi all,

I just got my celica ss3 on xmas eve and im just trying to find out a bit more about it.I cant seem to find much specific info on the beams engine e.g why does it have 20-30bhp more than a standard st202?are there any other differences? I had an impreza turbo before this. Great car but just 2 expensive to run and before that was a 1.6 twincam vtec del sol. This car was fantastic especially when vtec kicks . I dont seem to have that same punch with vvti as I did with Vtec. I thought Vtec and VVti were more or less the same . When I had the honda and when I reached 5700rpm the engine note changed and the car would take off. Does VVTI actually affect performance or is it more for economy driving?

one thing with honda and scooby's were if you reset the ecu's after mod'n you car the ecu would reconfig itself for the new mods(within it limitations of coubik). Are toyota the same?Are there any benifits from resetting the ecu?if so whats the best way to reset?

thanks

red top or black top ???

to reset the ecu take out efi fuse , press the brake a few times , wait 30 seconds then replace the efi fuse.

i dont think it learns , it more like puts it all back to factory default , what you need is a dastek uni chip fitting , that can be remapped to suit each and every mod you make.

try here http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/unichip.html

or here http://www.dastek.co.za/

to reset the ecu take out efi fuse , press the brake a few times , wait 30 seconds then replace the efi fuse.

Never heard that one before, I know it maybe a silly Q but why does removing the Electronic Fuel Injection Fuse cause the ECU to reset ?

its the fuse that supplies a constant 12v feed to the ecu's memory , take it out and its like rebooting a formatted pc.

Its probably worth resetting the ECU and run it on at least 97 octane fuel, but ideally Optimax/Ultimate etc.

All JDM cars are designed to run on 100/101+ octane fuel

After that it'll probably be Full Exhaust, De-Cat, uprated panel filter (Or induction kit in cold air box with cold air feed)

imho, its not worth mutting on a re-mappable ECU (or piggyback chip) untill there are at least a few mods on the car.

its best to fit the unichip as the last mod you do , then it only needs mapping the once.

post us a picture of ur engine bay.

one reason the honda has such a kick at 5,700 rpm is because it has so little power below that point!

she's the redtop.

I have noticed with my celica it does seem to pull from 3500rpm all the way up very nicely where the vtec did seem to only go insane above 5700rpm.

she's the redtop.

I have noticed with my celica it does seem to pull from 3500rpm all the way up very nicely where the vtec did seem to only go insane above 5700rpm.

Trust me, information on the VVTi Gen 6 is as rare as the car itself ;) .

After giving it some thought, the Red top is only fitted to the gen 6 JDM Beams celica and the black top is fitted to the Toyota Altezza 2.0 beams 3S-GE...don't know why i didn't think of that before :) .

info is available in the mr2 section on the beams.

i'd say totally performance at the top end it gives the car just that little bit extra.

The red top was a Celica/MR2 thing .. and it's not V-Tec (hate that "word") .. it's VVTi .. (similar, but it's not horrid Hon-der)

And the dual cams are for performance .. (175bhp vs 200bhp) .. and the Black top was Dual VVTi (exhaust and intake) and an extra 10 bhp.

The beams 3s-ge has variable valve timing (like lots of other modern engines). This varies the cam advance angle only. Honda VTEC is variable valve lift which varies the duration as well. The gen 7 celica 140 has variable timing, the gen 7 190 hp has variable duration similar to VTEC. Variable duration/lift is still quite rare.

I think the beams red top (celica + MR2) has variable timing on the intake cam only, and the black top beams has vvt on both cams for even more power. I thought the red top was 200 hp and the black top was 210 hp. No 3s-ge engines were made with variable lift/VTEC, which is a pity as I am sure it would have been good for 240 hp at least, providing the bottom end could take the required rpm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links