Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Discs... Pic Inside

eternity575

thats that damn grinding noise ive been hearing for the past 2 months...

toyota replaced all the brake pads for free as part of the warranty.

and now i have this damn thing ..

is there a way to clean it?

thnx!

bah.jpg

pic is no good

discs look completely normal to me.

yeah completely normal :unsure:

your not gonna stop that happeneing

discs look completely normal to me.

NORMAL?????.. I can't beleive you guys are saying this is normal... look at your own discs i bet they are not like that.

NOT normal take it back to the shop get a NEW SET OF DISCS AND PADS .. i look at discs every day of every week as part of my job and the only time u see a rusty ring around the disc is wen the pads are not making contact with it... either u got the wrong pads put in or your discs are faulty or maybe even some kind of break imbalance........ does ithe car shudder under breaking.. if so warped disc(s) does it pull to the side under breaking if so imbalance of front breaks.

get it back to toyota for a check if they say all is ok then go for a 2nd opinion to your local garage... get any faults in writing then take it back to toyota and DEMAND they sort it

That rust is not on the disc surface though? I have seen that on many cars and seems completely normal to me as I have seen it so many times! :yes:

cfc your wrong mate , rust always appears where the pads dont connect ,they dont contact 100% of the disc surface. also the contact area can rust overnight even an hour or so when wet , and clears after a few presses of the pedal.

Yeah, normal. Rust forms very quickly on that part of the brake... wash your car and you'll see it. Then after a few presses of the brakes when driving you'll hear a grinding noise, then all will be well!

if you dont want them rings , replace the discs every 4 weeks or so . or buy some silver polish , :rolleyes:

Yeah, normal. Rust forms very quickly on that part of the brake... wash your car and you'll see it. Then after a few presses of the brakes when driving you'll hear a grinding noise, then all will be well!

the problem been constant for 2 months didn't go away after a couple of presses

The rusted part of this disc is on the face and i know that disc don't contact the full surface area,,, but this is a little excessive and if you take a closer look at the disc on the left hand side ... the rusted part is unequal ( it seems to narrow slightly ) this is y i think there is a possible problem.. if it was normal it would have even wear. this narrowing could be the start of a warped disc which would explain why the disc isn't making the proper contact.

It is possible that the pic was taken after a very short drive and that the discs haven't cleaned away all the discolouration which happens over night... in which case the discs are not rusty as described but only beginning to tarnish slightly... (looking at photos doesn't help you see wat ur looking at we all need to see things like this in the flesh to give the best advice.)

I stick by the fact that even although the pad doesn't contact the full surface of the disc in this case there should be a little more contact being made than what the picture seems to suggest... 1cm is too much should only be about 3 - 5 mm of the disc that doesn't have contact with the pad .

The pic doesn't really show very good if that "ring" of rust is on the face or on the edge of the disc.

To me it doesnt really seem abnormal, however if all of that rust is on the face it would seem that the pads are smaller than they should be.

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words, but this one is only telling a very confusing story.

Yves.

smaller pads would rattle like crazy, if his brakes are working fine then all is good rust rings are completely normal , its nothing to worry about and something you wont ever stop happening.

I'd tend to agree with CFC here.

Sure surface oxidation is normal...but the area not covered by the brake pad in the picture shown is overly large.

Sure the pad does not cover the entire area of the disc...but it's pretty near...if a cm was left without contact then the edge of the disc will soon corrode.

vipes

i wish i knew...

they changed all 4 of them...

BUT i think they did something wrong..

could those stupid asses put in a 1.0 or 1.3 pads? i saw that the OLD pads had a slit between them and the new one dont..

how can they attach smaller pads?

They may have put the wrong pads in meant for a different model probly the same fit but smaller surface area on the pad itself.. i'd go back and ask if there is a difference between them and ask to see... if they are different then tell them they have fitted the wrong pads to your car

My car is only 5 weeks old and rust is already forming on the brakes, are your brakes anything like these as your picture is too blurry, with the rust on the outside of the brake disc.

KIF_1360.jpg

white dawg man, (eternity :D ) maybe your pads are the wrong ones??????????????/ seams a wierd one....

get yourself a spell checker mate

theres slang and theres plain stupid! :lol:

dont grease them though mate :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links