Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gold Gti Mk4 Or Yaris T-sport

dannyb999

just out of interest :ph34r: performance wise, what would be the difference between a mark 4 golf gti 1.8 (non turbo or 1.8T) and a yaris t-sport??

hmm alot i suspect the golf has a great engine (well the turbo one anyway) so no chance of yaris being anywhere close but the 1.8 im not too sure as i suspect the golf to be heavy!

I was checking out some specs on current golfs

they do 2 ltr fsi 150bhp and 2 ltr tdi 140 bhp engines at the moment

the 150 bhp says 206 kmh , 8.9 secs 0 - 100 kmh

140 diesel , 203 kmh , 9.3 secs

tsport is 190 kmh , 9 secs

obviously its the weight , i would sat that the 1.8 gti may be aroungd the same , the turbo might be a bit quicker

golfs are known to be slow acceleration well execpt the top of the range

the old mk2 golf was actually quicker than the mk3 or 4 ?

I think I saw that on an old top gear episode . When you think though , the old car had much less bodyweight so that would have made a difference

the 3.2 ltr R 32 golf is something else though . Shame they dont do it now ( I think ? )

Just checked the one down

1.6 ltr 115 bhp sport ( petrol )

192 kmh , 10.6 secs

proves it then . If you see a 1.6 golf around then youre gonna ***** on it

youll give th 2 ltr one a good run for it money too of course :yes: ;)

thats a strange comparison, the Golf is a much bigger, heavier car..

And at the end of the day, 'which is faster' depends on so many factors - do you mean in a straight drag race? do you mean down a country lane? dry/wet/icey?

Hard to say . I am talking about a drag race and the figure comparisons

A turbo would have more acceleration so a drag race againg a turbo golf , you wouldnt win . the 1.6 you would win , the others , its close and I suppose just depends on driving skills

around roads and country lanes , I dont know because Ive not driven a golf

I would think it s sits well on the road with its weight , the YTS gets skittish through fast sharp bends coz its light on the road . The YTS needs stiffening and lowerering before it becomes really good at handling anyway . This is why Im hoping to change the springs and shock later on at some point

It's a Golf.. :(

The only Golf i'd spend money on is the mk1 - classic in it's own.

Like Fidgits said, both very different cars..

the golf gti mk4 was a bit of a let down, poor suspension and not fast enough to warrant the 'gti' Badge of time gone by.

mk1 and mk2 were great cars in their time, mk3 was ok.. and now the mk5 has picked it up again.

Not sure really, probably not much in it between a mk4 and a yts - ask on the golf owners forum, you'll probably get laughed out of town.

I dont like the Mk4, the Mk3 is the one I would get.

The Mk4 GTI is the worst and slowest Golf GTI they done (I think)

the golf is quicker easily

but as others said it doesnt deserve the gti Badge, only the old mk1 and 2s deserve it, if that!

the mk1 was a true hot hatch, golfs these days are nothing but lardy, overated, OVERPRICED, crates.

21 grand for the new GTI what an effing rip off! and it looks crap

The Mk4 was a TOTAL let down. The 1.8 GTi is slower than a diesel Octavia! It weighs about as much as a planet and goes about as slow. It's not much. The best was the R32, but that was a limited edition, super-expensive 4wd behemoth.

The Golf GT-TDi was much better, plenty of torque and about 150bhp i think, but it won't set the world on fire and for £17k when new... no thanks.

New one is a great car, but like Jaxx said... super-pricey.

The best, as agreed world-wide and by Lord Clarkson is the Scirroco Mk1. But that's rare now and probably expensive. The best GTi at the moment IMO is the Civic Type-R or Leon Cupra R!! A 2nd hand Cupra-R is actually pretty good value too! But can't be compared to the YTS.

Stick with a T-Sport, cheap, fun and lickety splick!

the golf is quicker easily

but as others said it doesnt deserve the gti badge, only the old mk1 and 2s deserve it, if that!

the mk1 was a true hot hatch, golfs these days are nothing but lardy, overated, OVERPRICED, crates.

21 grand for the new GTI what an effing rip off! and it looks crap

I am in agreement, in fact, i'd say everything since the Mk2 has been overpriced and overweight...

BUT

They are pretty good cars (Having driven a Mk4 GTI turbo and A3 3.2V6 (Mk5 R32)) but in no way are they 'GTIs'

In my head (which is a terryfying place) a GTi should be something light, quick and edgy. It should have a noise to it's exhaust that brings a smile every time you hit the right pedal, it should have styling cue's that are subtle, yet a tad flashy and an interior that stands out from the crowd. It's got to be cheap too, otherwise the car is becoming what it shouldn't be... an overpriced middle-aged crisis car.

In my opinion, there have only ever been three true GTi's: The Golf Mk1, the 306 GTi-6 and the Civic Type R. But the new Clio 182 Cup looks good... but i havn't been in that one, so i can't say yet!!

Oh, and i know the Civic Type R doesn't say GTi on it's rear end, but that manufacturer's preference! GTi/Hot Hatch, same difference!

Edited by seveer unaek

..a GTi should be something light, quick and edgy. It's got to be cheap too, otherwise the car is becoming what it shouldn't be... an overpriced middle-aged crisis car.
In my opinion, there have only ever been three true GTi's: ..Civic Type R.

Surely the V-Tec engine isn't classed as a Gti.. And the Type R is exacly cheap either :unsure:

Oh, and i know the Civic Type R doesn't say GTi on it's rear end, but that manufacturer's preference! GTi/Hot Hatch, same difference!

So is a YTS a Gti then? or a Saxo? :huh: :(

The best hot hatch in production right now is the Renaultsport Clio 182, and evo reckon it's the best hot hatch ever.

and when you consider it's £14k, incredible value.

Yeh but its the insurance that makes it killer.

I rekon the Colt CZT (Turbo) will be fantastic! I wanna see what price tag they put on it, the performance figures and the insurance group.

Can't wait till Feb, then my questions will be ans. All I know is what it looks like and that the range starts at £7,495.

Yeh but its the insurance that makes it killer.

I rekon the Colt CZT (Turbo) will be fantastic! I wanna see what price tag they put on it, the performance figures and the insurance group.

Can't wait till Feb, then my questions will be ans. All I know is what it looks like and that the range starts at £7,495.

According to industry insiders, the Colt turbo is going to be around £12,500. And it looks mean!

lets be honest - there is no 'True GTi' being built today..

And there are 2 reasons for that...

The first, is joyriders - back in the early 90's, cars like the Gti RS Turbo and GTE were the little :censor: favorates, so insurance prices skyrocketed.. which took away the 'affordable' portion of the GTi, which was one of its main selling points..

This meant, VW and others had to target the GTi at an older audience, one who could afford the hiked insurance premiums - but to do that, they had to start offering more creature comforts, such as air con etc...

Now this added weight, but not as much weight as the second problem - EU legislation - this alone has meant cars have actually got 1/3rd heavier, so as the cars got heavier, they needed bigger engines, which allowed the insurance company to charge yet more money, which meant the car company had to offer yet more features (eg leather) to attract a wealthier audience...

EU legislation has also meant cars have got bigger - I mean, the Mk5 Golf is much bigger than the Mk1, and even the Mk2..

The polo is actually bigger than the Mk1!!

So, due to joyriders and those idiots in the EU, this means what was once an affordable lightweight hatchback, has turned into a big, safe, comfortable cruiser with a big engine aimed squarley at affulent middle-aged people!

agreed fidgits, but that said... the 182 is a fraction more than 1000kg with a 2.0 n/a engine and something like 170bhp/tonne

got to be the closest thing in production to the original idea of a hot hatch/gti

According to industry insiders, the Colt turbo is going to be around £12,500. And it looks mean!

Cool dude! Thats cheap man.

Mmm if insurance is good I will wait another year and save up, or take out finance.

If I had one, modification wise I would only do basic things which could be reversed back to factory.

Maybe 18" alloys, it comes with 17" so 18" should be no problem.

A bigger better backbox.

ICE System

Maybe a Carbon Fibre bonnet.

I would consider the red at the moment, but I havn't seen the full colour line up.

Owning a Mitsubishi of sorts is a must in life.

ooo the specs are sexy:

ENtry is a 1.1.

Now the 1.5 Turbo charged:

150BHP at 6,000RPM

16 Valve

Sport Suspension

15" Disc Brakes

0-62mph in roughly 8sec

Top Speed 130mph

16" alloys (not 17"s my bad)

Plus spoiler and all that jobby. Those specs aren't final but give a rough idea.

The IS200 puts out 150BHP!!!

agreed fidgits, but that said... the 182 is a fraction more than 1000kg with a 2.0 n/a engine and something like 170bhp/tonne

got to be the closest thing in production to the original idea of a hot hatch/gti

but compare it to the Golf GTi Mk1..

the golf had similar performance from a 100bhp 1.6 ;)

And lets not even start on the insurance for the Clio !

We've had the new colt for quite a while over here now (about 6 months I'd say). Nice looking car, but no sign of the 1.5 Turbo yet. Has it been released in 'The land of the rising sun' yet? LOL

We have the 5-Door Colt, thats been out a fair while now, Im on about the 3 Door version.

I think they are doing a 3-Dr 1.5 Non Turbo, so will have to check the spec on that, cause it may not be that bad. As long as the look is similar or upgradable to be the same as the turbo.

Wow, me not thinking about performance... how odd.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links