Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Security

vmail

Some of you will know that I am designing a tracker/sat nav/mobile CCTV unit

I have made a few adjustments, as you know computers are not 100% reliable so the main processor will be 2 PIC (Programmable chips) The One of the PICs will be monitoring the inputs and the second one will communicate with the Car PC, mobile phone and memory bank

The PIC system will be responsible for monitoring the voltage of both batteries

Reading in the NEMA string from the GPS Mouse

Monitoring the status of the alarm

Alert me if the lights have been left on

Alert me if I have not switched on the alarm

Check if the mobile phone is working

Check if the PC is still responding

Remote Start

I will be alerted via MSN, email and SMS

If the car is stolen, the longitude and latitude will be logged to the server and the lights and horn will flash, after 1 minute the engine will cut out

So Now the PC will only act as a 2nd Black box, sat nav, and CCTV Unit(If the 2nd Battery dies or the PC crashes the tracker will still work)

The problem is that I am trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, the PIC can only have upto 5V(6V Max) on its input pin but the Battery is 12-14.4V, I know that I can use a potential divider but that will use up too much current, does anyone else know how I can condition the voltage?

cheers rob I'll look into it

Matt, Ive never done anything like this before, its more engineering stuff with a bit of electronics and programming, the language is PIC Basic, but you might not have done it on your course

nip down to ya local maplins mate

tell them what you want im sure they can sort you out with something

Just to let you know, its illegal to instigate remote flashing of lights or horn :thumbsup:

I know this because I seel fleet management/black box systems that can actually do all this stuff, its just we are not by law allowed to do it.

Remote immobilisation is a good one.... but also illegal.

It start getting cool when the CCTV data is relayed to fixed base via 3G :thumbsup:

cheers for the comment...bugger, so its better to allow the car to continue driving and just track its location

'fraid so.

It seems criminals have more rights then anyone else these days, your not even allowed to shoot an maim robbers anymore :(

The best bet for security is make it tamper proof, i.e. backup batterys in a sealed box that contains the tracking gubbins, our system even with every sinegle wire cut to the box will still report, even with the GPS antenna moved it will drop back into GPRS triangulation...

not sure how it work but the unit will run on anything from 5 -30 volts (allowing for jumpstarting 24volt lorrys) so its possible... jsut not sure how :wacko:

If it does its not legal!!!!!

remote immobilisation once the car is moving is a strict no no (think of the disaster a bit bac with that car sat ona level crossing)

flasing lights in this country is considered by the police as an "antisocial annoyance"

Don't ask.

whats this system you talk of then? I want to learn more ;)

Since when have road traffic laws in the uk made logical sense?????? :lol:

The car would allow the driver to safely stop the car after a minute, the flashing lights and horn willcreate attention so the car can be found

but your hazard lights flash don't they...

And i'd count a stolen car as a hazard...

-Z

Yeah but you're not supposed to operate them while the car is moving.

Sounds like an interesting project though.

but your hazard lights flash don't they...

And i'd count a stolen car as a hazard...

-Z

Yeah but you're not supposed to operate them while the car is moving.

Sounds like an interesting project though.

isnt there a car, maybe a VW, if you press the brakes hard the harard lights flash automatically? what if you want to alart drivers behind you that there is a stand still in front of you?

Ive seen some cars, where when the alarm goes off the lights flash aswell,

Yeah, its a Citroen that does that - its a good point. I believe BMWs automatically activate the hazards if you crash and (I think) the airbag is activated.

Despite my silly jokes about tow-behind power supplies it does sound lke an interesting project.

Cheers,

Alan

so are they that steelable then?????? i can see some one nicking it, and riping it all out. also why cut out after 1 min???? why not just not run at all? check out this link;

http://www.clifford.com/uk/default.asp

If someone finds a way to hack into the system and Im driving on the motorway, i will have 1 min to pull over

the PIC system will only cost £50 on parts and £50 for production

use something like a 78L05 Voltage regulator, mount this straight onto a heatsink, which could also be a side of the case for your project.

This way all the voltage switching and conditioning is done internally, so the unit doesn't require further external hardware and is therefore simpler to install.

Run a 78L12 ( 12v) reg next to it for the interaction between the car's 12v rails and the 5v PIC logic.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...