Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aluminium Dust Caps

dave5282

Okay guys.

Last friday I had a ppuncture in my co. car.

I took it to the tyre place (well know nationwide company) where the guy said. why oh why have you got aluminium dust caps. I said "well to be honest I got sick of the little kids nicking all the others, so I went to the local motor factors explained what what was happening and he said try these hex shaped ones, there is a little tool to tighten them up a little, you need it to take them off too, so the kids wont be able to do it with there little hands".

An apparent fatal error, to re-cap, this is my first co car, I am paying a fair bit out of my own pocket to have this car as I upgraded. I have just put 98 pounds worth of tire on the company account, I am soaked after changing the puncture in the rain..and he says.....oh dear you will need new valves putting on all round, the aluminium had siezed onto the valve tops and there is no way they are goin to be parted from the valve should you need to top up th air/or in a service etc. I was and still am gutted!

Thought I would just worn you guys

Yes.. i see this everyday (i am a tyrefitter) the alluminium caps "fuse" to the brass ends of the valves and are virtually impossible to get off... you could try (if the garage gave you them back) soaking them in hot water.. this sometimes lets you remove them.

the best valve caps are the black plastic ones.. no-one steals them and they don't seize on... but if you want fancy ones get steal ones not alluminium

Do you know of any other way of shifting them, and how much I am likelly to have to pay to have new valves put on the other 3 tyres???

I got the steal ones that have a 1mm grub screw that screws in the side, it means you don;t have to put them on that tight, but they are still harder to nick!!!

A mate of mine bought me some really nasty gold ones for my supra and I had to put them on as it would have been rude not too :lol:

two were nicked tho.. (chavletts on bikes???)

new valves should only cost around 3 - 5 quid for standard rubber valves.. high speed metal valves should only be around 5 - 8 quid.. both these prices should include fitting.

new valves should only cost around 3 - 5 quid for standard rubber valves.. high speed metal valves should only be around 5 - 8 quid..  both these prices should include fitting.

Thats okay, I'll get them done before the next service and go back to having my black ones nicked by local grubby handed chavsters.

Although I may smear them in chilli or paprika, that way the theiving scum will get a shock should he rub his eyes, or anywhere more sensitive!!! :ffs: :eek: <_<

i just tend to stick with the black plastic ones!

stop the little gimps having away with them and needing to get too close to the car for no reason at all!

You can’t go wrong with a pack of black ones from Halfords. Something silly like 50p for a pack of 5. I carry spare in my ash tray just in case.

I would love some nice metal ones but they would last less than 5 minutes. I may as well throw my money out of the window on the way home!