Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheels Split Rim/banded Rim Type

sera_beetle

Hi guys

I have to send my insurance off today and this question came up. and i don't really understand what they mean.

Are the wheels split rim/banded rim type?

My wheels are TSW Razor Blades so can anyone tell me what my answer should be?

Thanks Very much for your help

Tim :thumbsup:

Split rim would be a full 2 piece or 3 piece rim.

Just had a look on google, it doesn't look like yours are split.

Cheers

Dave

Being TSW thought I'd imagine they are classed as "branded rims"

i know it sounds like a silly question. but when it come down to insurance i want to be 100% sure

Thanks again

sera_beetle Posted Today, 11:24 AM

Hi guys

I have to send my insurance off today and this question came up. and i don't really understand what they mean.

Are the wheels split rim/banded rim type?

My wheels are TSW Razor Blades so can anyone tell me what my answer should be?

No they are not 'Split Rim (and definately not 'Banded Rim').

However TSW Razor Blades will be classed as aftermarket wheels.

Banded rim...ha, ha now theres a description I've not heard for over 15 or more years.

Split rim quite simply means 2 or 3 piece as Rookey quite rightly said and are fixed together in their construction usually by a series of Hex bolts along the rim. Banded rim is completely (and horrifically :eek: ) different in fact if you said you had banded rims i'm sure the insurrance company would touch you!

I'll explain: Banded rims were a way of making 'Wide steel Wheels' out of two normal sized steel wheels (in the days before wide alloys were easily available). Hot Rodders in the 50's used to get two wheels (oops it would be 8 required but you know what I mean) and cut one of them in half across the rim and cut the rim of the other then weld that rim between the two pieces of the first wheel thus you then have a 'wider wheel'.

Needless to say some peoples welding abilities were not that good plus cutting the rims was not always done very acurately and accidents happened from wheels braking apart!

It was also done this side of the water with souped up minis in the 60's/70's and many a hotted up VW Beatle had it done as well.

This is one retro mod that will not and should not come back.

Some alloys are made to look split, but arn't which is cheap.

Anyway... I never knew insurance companies done it like that, so do you phone up, say some mods and then you get a form to fill in.

Some alloys are made to look split, but arn't which is cheap.

Anyway... I never knew insurance companies done it like that, so do you phone up, say some mods and then you get a form to fill in.

This is the first time I have used this insurance company (adrin flux - Highway).

and the insurance forum is huge it is real detailed, you even have to go into who installed what Mod and what are there qualifications and i just wanted to get it all right first time.

Thanks Twincam.GTi, Rookey and Karma Supra for your Advice! very helful :thumbsup:

Yeh they need to keep track and in detail cause of some of the what must be monsters they insure.

But like with Norwich Union, its probably just phone up

"Hi I got some alloys"

"Okay, well for the remaining x months that means you need to give us £x extra to cover it."

"ok"

I guess, but I honestly dont know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links