Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do I Have A Gearbox Or Clutch Fault, Or Not?

mark_n

I think there might be a fault with either the gearbox or clutch on the Yaris. The gears seem hard to select. 1st is hard to get even when the car is standing still and reverse does not always select first time.

I am not sure if its just because the gearbox is new or there is a fault.

Reverse can be a bit of a pain on mine too gotta re dip the clutch sometimes

You can't get into reverse sometimes 1st time 'cos its something to do with something called the synchromesh which means you need to let the clutch out and put it down again and then select your gear!

mark_n sounds perfectly normal to me! :thumbsup:

aye....reverse is not synchromeshed and so can be hard to select.

Try shifting to second first...which will re-align the cogs..then reverse will slip in easily.

also don't be heavy handed.. don't grab the stick..don't apply any downward pressure... just slip her into gear and she'll do you good.

Vipes

Ah right. Thanks. I am being gentle with the gear stick as I dont want to damage anything. Sorry for asking such a question its just I am not mechanically minded.

get any problems... ask a question.... silly or not ppl will be more than happy to help.. not all drivers are mechanicaly minded so just cos u r not don't think it was a silly question cos it wasn't :)

Also, make sure that you engage the clutch fully, i.e. make sure that it's welded to the floor... i noticed that to be a problem when i first started driving it... for smooth gearbox you need welded down! There should be a clunk when going into 1st when it's cold and always when going into reverse.

Every other gear should have a teeny notch but go in easily!

When you get the hang of it... super slick, super quick heel-toe gearchanges are wonderfully executed!

This is a daft question -and I apologise in advance - but ... is the clutch able to get alll the way in? Is the floor mat interefering at all ?

This is a daft question -and I apologise in advance - but ... is the clutch able to get alll the way in?  Is the floor mat interefering at all ?

It shouldn't be.... the dealer should alter it accordingley, so that full engagement actually happens before the pedal can be fully pressed. If you have mats and you don't think it's going fully in, you can do a couple of things.....

Bend the pedal so it can be down with mat there, or, more sensibly take it to your dealer and they'll adjust the pedal properly. (You can do this yourself, but i can't remeber how!!)

With regard to the gear selection yes , at first it is notchy and reverse sometimes is a bit problematic . Dont worry , after youve had it acouple of months or so it gets easier and it is also true about selecting the gears . You need to be quite light and presise with it . If you are heavy handed then it doesnt go in . This is with the YTS , dont know about the other models . I drove vectras and mondeos before and the gears on those are very different . They feel " less positive/ looser " than the YAris . When its going right it should feel like a smooth but positve clunk to change gear. You can change fast but only if you are light on the stick

One question I have , has anybody got the reverse sensor kit . If so has anyone noticed any changes in the sensor operation .

From new and also as normal , if you select reverse then there is one loud beep then contious beeps when you aproach an obsticle ( as it should be )

Sometimes ive had it select reverse then beep but afterwards it continues to make 2 beeps at a time continously , even though there is nothing behind . It seems to do it once then go away after the 1st journey in the day ( so second Journey , it doesnt do it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links