Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning 1.0 Yaris

jrampton

I'm thinking of a bit of tinkering with the wifes yaris looking at a HKS or TRD replacment filter panel, has anyone done this and does it make any differance ?

it'll make a noise, might notice a slight increase in throttle response... but nothing more.

only way to tune the 1.0 is a bolt on turbo :)

Well, you can increase the size of the valves etc.... but that's ever so slightly more difficult and wallet-evaporating!

what about a filter and an exhaust, i know the boy racer way is to just change the end can, but is there a stainless system for a 1.0 yaris ? I'd love to really tune one to the max to see exactly how much you can get out of a 1.0 yaris.

well... you're still not going to see massive gains, if you want the most out of it get the bolt on turbo, then add the filter and exhaust.

I had a K&N Replacement panel filter and couldnt tell the difference! I assume it'd be the same for the other makes of panel filter.

& I believe "Yaris_WRC" on here had a turbo'd 1.0l so I'd talk to him!

Matt

To be honest, is there any point in tuning a 1.0 Yaris? if you want to go faster, why not trade it for a 1.3 or 1.5...

It would make more sense IMO

I'm only thinking about tuning it as a bit of a laugh, i wouldn't go as far as a turbo etc. I'm thinking of fitting some alloys to try and give it a bit more traction and possibly lowering it slightly. Don't intend on spending a great deal of money on it.

An induction kit would be better than a replacement panel filter and there is no cat-back sytems for the 1 litre as far as I know! :(

I'm only thinking about tuning it as a bit of a laugh, i wouldn't go as far as a turbo etc. I'm thinking of fitting some alloys to try and give it a bit more traction and possibly lowering it slightly. Don't intend on spending a great deal of money on it.

well, alloys themselves wont give anymore traction..

Infact, if your after traction, then just buy more expensive [sports] tyres for your existing wheels..

alloys, although possbily wider, wont have any better grip or traction if you stick the same brand/type of tyre on them... whereas, buying a good tyre will give you improved grip over now on your standard wheels..

As I said before, the performance gains you would see from exhaust/induction/ecu are not even worth considering...

Of course wider wheels will give you better traction!!! Why do you think the F40 has 12" wide rear wheels? :yes:

Of course wider wheels will give u better traction!!! Why do you think the F40 has 12" wide rear wheels? :yes:

Ryan

Re-read my post carefully...

Wider wheels themselves WONT give you better traction if you go and stick some cheap tyres on them... grip comes down to tyre, not the wheel...

And are you trying to compare a 1.0 Yaris to a Ferarri F40 - really? :wacko:

Yes, when you have 500/600bhp going through the rear wheels, you need 12 inch wide wheels, which by the way, also have £900 tyres on them...

But i would still say, if your after better grip, spend your money on some good rubber and maybe some springs..

And are you trying to compare a 1.0 Yaris to a Ferarri F40 - really?  :wacko:

Quote me where I was comparing the 2???

And you are right, wider wheels are nothing without decent tyres! :thumbsup:

Alloys, although possbily wider, wont have any better grip or traction if you stick the same brand/type of tyre on them

I'm thinking they will surely although just slightly?

yes, if you have the same brand, but a bigger footprint, then your grip quotient increases, BUT, your lateral grip wont increase, as that has to do more with the compound, and attributes of the rubber in contact with the road....

Hence my statement...

Friggin' hell... Can i attempt to summarise this....

If you want more performance... buy a bigger engined car or spend serious money on a turbo.

If you want noise with a hint of more responsiveness... get an induction kit and exhaust.

If you want better traction... fit either 15 or 16 inch alloys with sports tryes like Toyo Proxes, or Dunlop sport 9000's and lower the suspension and maybe fit a strut bar/brace on the front.

Hope this helps in some way!

Wider wheels themselves WONT give you better traction if you go and stick some cheap tyres on them... grip comes down to tyre, not the wheel...

so say a 205 wanchung (or whatever cheepo tyre) wont have any more traction than a 165 of a reasonable brand? even though theres more rubber on the road??????

sorry i just noticed another jumping in the deepend thread, i just couldn't belive what i was seeing and i just like reading you posts the crack me up.

but, its worth mentioning a 205 tyre will likely cost more than a 165 version - so infact, that backs up my statement ;)

(just being pedantic though)

ahhh nice editing there earpl...

so to sum up...

Rubber, springs, struts etc if want to improve handling, as for performance, well you dont buy a 1.0 for performance...