Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem Changing Headlight Bulb?

astrobhoy

hi all,

I'm having some problems changing the dipped headlight bulb. i have the T-3x Diesel model.

I took off the engine coompartment plastic front, but because the washer funnel to the left of the engine is right in front of the headlight unit box, tere is very little space to open it up and remove the bulb. I don't see how I can get this unit open without having force the Windscreen washer funnel back, and i really don't want to screw up a 4 month old car already!!!

Could anyone give me some advice on how to do this.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Astrobhoy,

It is tight but the cover does come out. I had to change mine last week. Although my car is petrol, I don't think there is any difference on the layout in that area.

When you open the clip on one side, swing the cover as far back as you can and then pull towards the centre line of the car. I don't know if I've made a good job of explaining this but once you try it you should get what I mean.

Slightly more tricky is getting the cover back on.

Be careful also when removing the cable connector from the back of the old bulb as the mountings into which the bulb is fitted are fragile enough and can break if they get much abuse.

These headlamp bulbs seem to blow regularly. I have replaced 2 in my 2003 avensis. Toyota must have bought shares in a factory which produces them!!.

Hope this is of some help.

Joe.

thanks for your reply. I'll see if i can give it a go. When you say "pull towards centre line of the car" is it to just pull twords the engine?

I think i'm going to have some trouble with this – as the washer duct sits only 2 inches in front from the headlight unit. If i can't manage it i might take some pictures of it and post them up.

let you know how i get on.

cheers

martin

Hi Martin,

Thats exactly what I mean. Pull it towards the engine. I know it looks tight (and it is!!!!!) but it will come out with a little gentle persuasion. Its a big enough job to move the washer bottle, best avoided just for the sake of changing a headlamp bulb. Try it the other way first.

See how you go.

regards,

Joe.

thanks for your reply. I'll see if i can give it a go.  When you say "pull towards centre line of the car" is it to just pull twords the engine?

I think i'm going to have some trouble with this – as the washer duct sits only 2 inches in front from the headlight unit. If i can't manage it i might take some pictures of it and post them up.

let you know how i get on.

cheers

martin

I have the T spirit Avensis 2003 and he other day both headlamp bulbs just stopped working. I tried to replace the bulbs and found obstacles in the way to remove the covers. I contacted my local Toyota garage and they were happy for me to bring the car in. The service manager said they'd be 5 minutes for the job would I like to wait.

1 hour later 2 new bulbs, an apology about the delay and free cups of coffee..... And then they changed them under warranty....... : :thumbsup: Thank you Mr Toyota.......

the mechanisc agreed they were little b*****S to change!! :yes:

I've a 2003 TX-3 petrol and wanted to upgrade my bulbs with a couple of Philips extra bright bulbs. I tried doing it myself, but ended up paying my Toyota garage £30+VAT (0.5 hour labour) to do it. I watched the mechanic do it and it did take at least 30mins.

Both my headlights failed when 7 months old. I got the covers off and replaced the bulbs but could not get the covers back on. The light units filled with condensation and my main dealer replaced them under warranty. However, one of the new ones has just failed after 10 months. The dealer wants to charge £30+ for labour to remove the bumper etc to gain access to the covers.

This is just not good enough! The manual says its a User Maintenance task. I'm in touch with Toyota Customer Relations over it.

Both my headlights failed when 7 months old.  I got the covers off and replaced the bulbs but could not get the covers back on.  The light units filled with condensation and my main dealer replaced them under warranty.  However, one of the new ones has just failed after 10 months.  The dealer wants to charge  £30+ for labour to remove the bumper etc to gain access to the covers.

This is just not good enough!  The manual says its a User Maintenance task.  I'm in touch with Toyota Customer Relations over it.

Hi mike, let me know how you get on with it. I haven't had the chance to have another crack at it, but i really don't see how i can get access to it becase the space between the washer funnel and the unit is so tight, and the the funnel doesn't budge very much.

Cheers

Astro

Toyota now sell a long life bulb, these should be fitted by your dealer instead of the orriginal bulbs free of charge if car is under warranty.

i fittted high power bulbs and melted my headlights so be carefull.

Toyota now sell a long life bulb, these should be fitted by your dealer instead of the orriginal bulbs free of charge if car is under warranty.

Thanks for the input. I have passed the info about longlife bulbs to the main dealer and customer relations. Both said they haven't heard about them and the dealer will not change the bulbs under warranty. Discussions are ongoing.

If you could supply a part number for the new bulbs it would be very helpful.

Were the bulbs that melted the headlights the same wattage as the originals i.e. 55 Watts? If yes, I'm not sure how they could have melted them. The heat output should be the same as the originals. Were they faulty?

My dealer has just replaced both of my headlight bulbs free of charge :D - after discussions with the customer relations department. I think all parties agree that there is a design problem here and, in my opinion, they should rectify the problem - including fitting replacements free of charge.

The phone number for Toyota Customer Relations is 01737 363633 :thumbsup:

well, i eventually got them in, but what a !Removed! hassle!!! Probably took me about 45 minutes and a real wrestle with the cover getting it back on! Eventually had to try to bend the small 'clip-in' bit which goes into the gap to lock in; had to heat that up over the gas cooker to bend the plastic, very slightly, back, and then i got it in. Would'nt recommend you do this though.

The bulbs look nice though!!

:thumbsup:

Astro

well, i eventually got them in, but what a !Removed! hassle!!! Probably took me about 45 minutes and a real wrestle with the cover getting it back on!  Eventually had to try to bend the small 'clip-in' bit which goes into the gap to lock in; had to heat that up over the gas cooker to bend the plastic, very slightly, back, and then i got it in. Would'nt recommend you do this though.

The bulbs look nice though!!

Astro

H guys, just found this nice forum. I have a 2003 1.6 new shape Avensis and have experienced a similar problem with my lights. I tried to replace the bulb on the drivers side but found the washer tube was blocking the headlamp socket. Eventually got the thing out after loosing some skin off my knuckels. Changed the bulb but broke the clip when putting it back on. Had to get my own mechanic to do a diy job on it to fix. I know I probably should have taken it to the dealer but the manual mentions nothing about removing the washer tube first. The problem now is that since then the lense gets all fogged up whenever it rains or is cold. I am going to chance bringing the car back to the dealer to see if they will do something for me under warrenty. It is my 3rd Avensis that I have bought off them so I am hoping they will show some goodwill towards me and replace it under warrenty.

Overall I am pretty happy with the car (since its my 3rd one) but this is definately a design flaw and should be sorted by Toyota. I will let you know how I get on.

It is really bad, and that washer tube is a nightmare to get past. I ended up cutting my hand badly trying to force it in!!! They really ought to get that sorted.

Get in there!!! :censor:

AstroBhoy

hehe .. just a little thing I'd like to share

I currently have a 2000 VW Polo TDI for my far distance driving (no worries, I've ordered an Avensis 2005 D4D Wagon ;-) )

Well anyways, in the instruction manual for this Polo it says that changing lightbulbs is advised to be done buy a mechanic, due to the technical circumstances of the car .. LOOOL .. the system is the same as allways, the only technical circumstance is that the covers are made so they are incredibly hard to get to and took me ½ an hour understanding how it was taken apart - now knowing how, it will probably take me 5 minutes next time

Seems like the longer service-intervals on newer cars forces the manufacturers to make the little things impossible to do by yourself

:-D

Thanks for the advise Meanoldmike.

I was fobbed off by the dealer this afternoon on the bulb failure on my 18 month old T4.

A quick call to Mr T and they confirmed the problem.

A call back to the dealer quoting this and they are doing it while I wait first thing in the morning. Now off to get a refund off Halfords.

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,

I found this post really helpful!

Got the bulbs on the headlamp changed. Saved money man! The problem, I have faced, as always is replacing the clip.

Two tips for all:

1. Remove the power supply and then remove the clip.

2. Replacing the clip is tough, almost impossible. The trick is to adjust the bulb into the correct place and then replace the clip.

I can sympathise with your problem. I recently had a similar experience trying to change the bulb myself, unfortunately breaking the bulb holder trying to do so. After a phone call to my local dealer I was shocked to find out it was going to cost me £180 for a complete new headlamp.

I contaced Toyota customer service with no joy they didn't want to know.

I returned to my dealer who kindly agreed to replace said part F.O.C.

Beware these bulbs are very difficult to replace and not all dealers are as generous as mine.

Gordon Lamb Chesterfield :thumbsup:

Hi all.

Hive replaced my head lamps once it was a hard job but i ended up doing it and after the first time i saw it was real easy to do but i broke the lamp plastic suport and toyota ended up replacing the entire light under warranty.

When i putted the Phillips ultra white lamps toyota sayd the will not be responsable for the head lamp melting . And now the old head lamp is foggy and i dont know what to do , if i go to toyota hey will certanly say it is because of the phillips lights that are to hot.

What do you think ?

Hi all.

Hive replaced my head lamps once it was a hard job but i ended up doing it and after the first time i saw it was real easy to do but i broke the lamp plastic suport and toyota ended up replacing the entire light under warranty.

When i putted the Phillips ultra white lamps toyota sayd the will not be responsable for the head lamp melting . And now the old head lamp is foggy and i dont know what to do , if i go to toyota hey will certanly say it is because of the phillips lights that are to hot.

What do you think ?

Hi all.

Hi there You could argue the point with Toyoya that the hand book says this is an item you can change yourself and as such you tackled the job. However, it's clear from the amount of comments on this subject its clearly not an easy job to do. I was thinking on changing my bulb to brighter ones, did you have a problem with the glass melting

What do you think ?

• 1 month later...

My son has a 1.8 2003 Avensis. A dealer has just charged him £70 to change the front headlight bulb. Is this a rip off or a fair price? It seems an excessive price to pay for a bulb change.

Sounds to me like even the dealer removed the washer bottle to change a bulb! Hence the ridiculous price. just my opinion BTW. ;)

• 3 years later...
Sounds to me like even the dealer removed the washer bottle to change a bulb! Hence the ridiculous price. just my opinion BTW. ;)

just for those who landed here recently, yes, you can change this bulb yourself. The trick is to unclip the back cover, swing out as far as possible (pushing the Battery out the way or flexing the screen wash tube out the way) then pull towards the centre the engine bay to lift it off.

Then change the bulbs.

Then, look long and hard at the cover piece, understand how it works. Then using a strong light placed behind your head, feed the tongue tab into the slot on the outside of the light fitting, then swing the cover out, to allow the tiny 'annoying guidance tabs' to sit outside the water seal, THEN once with the tiny 'annoying tabs' are outside the water seal, hinge the cover back into place.

The secret for me was the strong light, I could see under the cover all the time (usually its too dark to see) in order to thread the tongue tab on the cover into its receiver on the light housing (around 5-10mm of space to see behind the cover, but it's enough) and from there the rest was easy.

So heres the vital sequence for putting the cover back on (ie the hard bit)

1. slide tongue tab on cover into receiver for the tab on light housing. Push as far as you can till the 'annoying tabs' hit. I needed a strong light behind my head looking under the cover to see where the tongue tab is being slotted.

2. Swing cover out, towards back of car, to allow annoying tabs to clear the housing water seal and push home the tongue tab into place into the receiver for the tab on light housing.

3. Swing cover back into place and clip back into housing

The charge in Finland is 70 euro to do this including the bulb. I think that they don't need to charge that much if they just do what I've done above. It really isn't that hard.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links