Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Another T Sport After My Write Off

admanirv

Hi guys,

Maybe most of you read my posts when i sadly wrote off my t sport, now its came to the time to look at buying another one. Im buying ones privately and would like some thoughts please. As i looked at one the other day

a) More or less imaculate inside and out

B) has done 17000 miles

c) has brand new tyres all round - Pirelli ones

d) Had its first MOT as its just turned 3 years old (its a 51 plate) - year of manfacture 3 jan 2002.

e) alloys etc are fine

d) Not heavy rust but moderate rust on the drums on the back, and slight rust on the front ones? calipers and disc are fine.

e) Engine bay is quite dirty

f) Runs ok, when idles etc

f) One lady owner - has full service history, receipts, receipts for tyres, V5 seem ok.

g) has new mats and a cargo net

h) Did a hpi thingy check on it

Few things im a bit concerned about-

The drums are rusty - how can i clean them up? should i be really concerned with rust?

She has just put 4 new Pirelli tyres put on 2 week ago, i thought you'd get more out of them, makes me wonder if its been clocked etc (tinkered with milleage?)

Where is the VIN number located and paint code?

Just coming up to needing it 3year service - how much am i looking at?

Any thing else to point out?

She wants £6100, any opinions, thoughts things to look out for.

Hopefully fingers crossed ill be a proud t sport owner again! :lol:

Hi guys,

Maybe most of you read my posts when i sadly wrote off my t sport, now its came to the time to look at buying another one. Im buying ones privately and would like some thoughts please. As i looked at one the other day

a) More or less imaculate inside and out

B) has done 17000 miles

c) has brand new tyres all round - pirelli ones

d) Had its first MOT as its just turned 3 years old (its a 51 plate) - year of manfacture 3 jan 2002.

e) Alloys etc are fine

d) Not heavy rust but moderate rust on the drums on the back, and slight rust on the front ones? calipers and disc are fine.

e) Engine bay is quite dirty

f) Runs ok, when idles etc

f) One lady owner - has full service history, receipts, receipts for tyres, V5 seem ok.

g) has new mats and a cargo net

h) Did a hpi thingy check on it

Few things im a bit concerned about-

The drums are rusty - how can i clean them up? should i be really concerned with rust?

She has just put 4 new pirelli tyres put on 2 week ago, i thought you'd get more out of them, makes me wonder if its been clocked etc (tinkered with milleage?)

Where is the VIN number located and paint code?

Just coming up to needing it 3year service - how much am i looking at?

Any thing else to point out?

She wants £6100, any opinions, thoughts things to look out for.

Hopefully fingers crossed ill be a proud t sport owner again!  :lol:

The engine bay shouldn't be dirty at 17000 unless its been running over very muddy roads.

Check the discs for ridges on the outside. They should show some wear at 17000, i.e.small ridge. If there's no ridge the've been replaced, strange, and if there's a deep ridge its either done a lot of miles or been very heavily used. A discussion would be needed.

Well is it actually a T-Sport? T-Sports have discs all round and not drums at the back!!! ;)

Apart from that it sounds fine! :thumbsup:

Well is it actually a T-Sport? T-Sports have discs all round and not drums at the back!!! ;)

Apart from that it sounds fine! :thumbsup:

Yeah sorry about calling them "drums", i dont what there called, there a cylinder thing between the alloy and the disc

Is the "rust" on the surface of the discs? Did you notice this after a test drive or had the car been left standing for a while.

If it's just on the surface then this usually comes off as soon as you move the car and apply the brakes. AFAIK it's normal.

[EDIT: Darn - ignore me, I just re-read your post and you didn't mean the discs at all - sorry!]

Is the "rust" on the surface of the discs? Did you notice this after a test drive or had the car been left standing for a while.

If it's just on the surface then this usually comes off as soon as you move the car and apply the brakes. AFAIK it's normal.

[EDIT: Darn - ignore me, I just re-read your post and you didn't mean the discs at all - sorry!]

No theres no rust on the discs, there is rust on the cylinder thingy (damn i dont know the name!) the circle between the back of the alloy. Between the alloy and the disc

No theres no rust on the discs, there is rust on the cylinder thingy (damn i dont know the name!) the circle between the back of the alloy. Between the alloy and the disc

heres a pic which the other guy has used, the guy from israel

http://www.kehila.net/1.jpg

You can see the but between the disc and wheel

Has to be the hub then..., bit of a rub down and some silver paint/spray and it should look good as new :thumbsup:

If it's the hub... no problems... probably been sat in damp for a bit... rust builds quickly, but comes off quickly too!

The tyres are fine... no clocking there... just means that the woman has been fairly spirited as tyres should last between 16-22k miles with average driving. (mine were almost bald at 18k)

When you say the engine bay is dirty... how do you mean? Oily? Embeded dirt? Or is it just general dust and dirt around the edges and on the engine? If so... she's never cleaned the engine or hasn't for about a year and this is fine.

If it's oily... that's bad... walk away.

VIN Plate is on the drivers side of the engine bay, past the washer-fluid bottle on the left hand side.

3 Year service is only intermediate, not full, so it should be about the same as your 1st service (unless parts are needed).

£6100 seems a tad steep, even with the low mileage, BUT... if she's put new mats in... could have been driven around town all it's life... stop/start kind of stuff... that's bad for car too.

Make sure you take a full test drive... AT LEAST an hour, covering all kinds of roads and speeds... try taking it to a tight car park too to make sure the steering and clutch etc are ok.

If there are any dodgy noises, a stiff clutch, knocking suspension etc... walk away... could be large repair bills.

But... after saying all this... take it as reasonable... you can't expect it to be perfect... it's three years old, but it's a toyota, so unless the wife of hitler has had it... it should be fine as they can take pretty much anything anyone throws at them!

Hope all goes well!

Simple, say you'd like a mechanic to check her over..and if the mechanic gives the all clear..then you'll take it...if you have pretty much made your mind up.

If they um and arrr...walk away...if they don't mind.... sound....they have notihng to hide.

Rust on Yari's hubs are normal...they are made of iron....only the newer models are made of steel..or have been galvanised....rub down with a wire brush..and some metal paint..no probs.

Tire wear depends on the hardness of the ire...and driving style. form what you say.. don't think there's an issue with clocking.

Mucky engine bay is better than a clean one..at least they havn't tried to cover anything up. check gaskets..check for any sblue smoke from tail pipe on starting.

try and test drive the car from cold...ie get to drive it when it's ocld and warmed up..not just warmed up.

6.5 k... go for 6k..and meet in the middle..it's not toooo bad a price for the mileage.

Check she stops in a straight line under heavy breaking.

listen to the "whine" when you go lock to lock ( never do this normally) if she wines badly...then the power sterring is a little tired. ( due to using full lock alot)

but.....from the first line..ask if they would be happy for a mechanic to check her over..their response wil lspeak volumes.

Vipes

Thanks you guys, you have been most helpful and appreiciate your help, i wish the guys on the fiat forum were as helpful (yes..i owned a fiat punto sporting mk2 beforehand then moved to toyota!).

Yeah engine bay has grime and bit of dust, doesnt look like shes cleaned it at all, i had a test drive and she took it onto the motorway for a bit, doing tight corners and putting her foot down, seemed ok to me.

No oil splatted on engine.

The general consensus is £6100k without its 3 year seevice, is too steep price to pay? - i thought it seemed resonable

How much would a three year service cost me?

thanks again

I wrecked my first set of tyres after about 15k... and the pirellis are the best I found to replace them with.

My engine bay gets in a right old state because of motorways and bad weather so that shouldn't be an issue either.

The hubs do corode quite quickely - especially at this time of year. I cleaned and painted mine later last year and have had to do the same again recently.

17k is a tiny mileage for a yaris - mines is just about to touch 80k without any real hassles.

Take her for a test drive and chuck her about for a bit - often the best test...

Clarky

3rd service will be about £150 i think. I'd ask her to take £6000, to account for the expense you've got to pay.

Just buy the car!!! Theres no way ul ever find a 51 plate T-sport with 17000 miles on it for under £6500 so go for it.

Well not up here in scotland u wont

ROSSNOVA is right, I'm looking for one at the moment (in Kent) and dealers want £7k for one with 25k+ on the clock. Cheapest I've come across is £5995 with 40k (trade).

So go for it and good luck!

:thumbsup:

ROSSNOVA is right, I'm looking for one at the moment (in Kent) and dealers want  £7k for one with 25k+ on the clock. Cheapest I've come across is £5995 with 40k (trade).

So go for it and good luck!

:thumbsup:

Hello, yeah she oringinally wanted £6250 but it needs a 3r year, the most i got her down to was £6100.

Seem to be resonable, its got new Pirelli p7 tyres all round too, they most of cost baout £50 each

I paid £6300 for mine. Its a 51 plate & it had 23000miles on the clock when i got it in august

To be honest looking at your first post I think I would snap her hand off for £6100, and if you get here to £6000 cash then I would be VERY happy :thumbsup:

To be honest looking at your first post I think I would snap her hand off for £6100, and if you get here to £6000 cash then I would be VERY happy  :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, ill see what happens

It’s immaculate, has new tyres, new MOT, HPI clear, one owner with FSH receipts etc then what are you waiting for?

What colour is it?

If you don’t have it will go to someone else who hasn’t dithered!

It’s immaculate, has new tyres, new MOT, HPI clear, one owner with FSH receipts etc then what are you waiting for?

What colour is it?

If you don’t have it will go to someone else who hasn’t dithered!

Its a thunder grey, just it needs it first year service and road tax, she wanting £6100 for it, oringinally it was £6250