Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pinging Tacoma

yaakov1

I have a 1999 tacoma 4wd 3.4l, engine pings badly, tried 91 octane no better, does not do it constantly, it has a mind of its own, any one have similar problems, I am the original owner 47,000 miles keeps getting worse, plus the dealer says its normal.

The pinging or predetonation is basically the combustion event occurring too soon causing the piston skirt to slap the cylinder bore. This can be caused by a number of things. Over-advanced ignition, combustion chamber deposits, compression ratio too high, and the wrong heat range plug can all cause this. A engine knock sensor is usually installed by the manufacturer to !Removed! the engine timing when predetonation occurs.

I would suspect that several conditions are present in your situation. First, combustion chamber deposits causing the knock and a faulty knock sensor allowing the event to take place. This situation is not normal and can/will cause piston damage if left unchecked. My advice is to bypass your current dealer and get a second opinion from another dealer or a competent mechanic.

If you choose to tackle this yourself, you will have to locate the sensor and replace it. Then perform a injector/upper combustion chamber cleaning. This should take care of the problem assuming everything else is okay. Calvert