Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Out Of Topic

MrWinkey

I know this has nothing to do with Toyota, Cars or the Yaris, but i need some advice on a matter that is driving me crazy.

I have been working since July, planning and researching a new business i am going to set up. I have found some premises that are ideal and have been trying to negotiate the lease since October. It is a long story, but there have been various problems leading to the lease only just being ready for signing now.

Well, my dilema is, the premises i have found are right below a Gym, and I want to open a Fitness Store. Now the fitness store will sell all things related to fitness (not sports), which obviously the Gym has available for its clients.

Now i have had a phone call from the guy who runs the Gym saying he has just found out what i want to do witht he vacent shop below him and he insist that i will take a lot of business from him. He sell very small amounts of Supplements and a few accessories (only to his members though). Now my store will sell a wide variety of both of these, so he may loose a small amount of custom to those who want another brand of supplement or accessory. But on the whole i feel he will not loose out as he sells to his members and they willl be loyal to him.

Anyway, the lease which i am negotiating is only a short term as it is being assigned to me from a company htat went bankrupt, so i am getting the remainder of a 20 year lease, which is up next August. The guy who owns the Gym has been there about 20 years and leases the whole top floor of the building (about 50%) which makes him the landlords biggest client. So as you can imagine the Landlord has a very large loyalty to him.

So, to my problem (at last i here you cry). The Gym owner has kicked of big time and threatened me. I believe his exact words where "you had better have some big mates that can look after you". The said that no one is going to take a penny from him and if i open the shop it would be war.

Now, i want to start the business in order to give me an easy life and i dont want to get into a war with some idiot, so i can do without this. I could just go ahead and open the shop and have an all out war with him (as he owns a gym and has some big lads training there, i assume he knows some hard lads, but some of my best mates are extremely dodgy and i could very easily have him done over), but i think this will obviously be an open war and the landlord would get to know about it and it would cause problems with the other tenants. So, when my lease is up next August, i assume the landlord we boot me out, as he will be loyal to the gym owner and it is easier to let a prime bit of space like i am wanting, rather than a whole upstairs floor.

If i were to get booted out, that would mean having to relocate the business and loose money through not trading and possably not be able to find anywhere suitable. But the main reason to not want to move si that the shop fit is going to cost about £25k and i cant afford to pay this out again in a years time.

So, i think i have covered everything here, so what do you people think i should do.

I am thinking of walking away fromt he shop, but having him done over anyway, as i dont take kindly to threats.

What do you think?

Well I think this should be in generals! :P

About your dilemma though, honestly don't know if it would be worth the hassle mate, it seems clear to me you are going to get kicked out come August and that would put you out of pocket of £25k but who I am to give you advice? We don't really know much about your circumstances although you have explained it well! :thumbsup:

I imagine the only people that purchase from him would be his members (as you said).. and yes, if this gym is like my old one, there are some extremely well built (needle jabbing) testosterone fueled - bear like - freindly fella's ...

Tough one.

He sounds like a d*ck, he must realise that he owns a gym, and not a Supplement/Health store..

Hmm..

I'd look for an alternative. As replacing windows and the like are not cheap..

Is it in an ideal location..? :huh:

It doesn't sound to make business sense to pay out 25k to set up and walk straight in to a dispute only to have to relocate and payout again. IMO

Cheers for the replies Guys,

this is really driving me mad. I hate D*cks and have never backed down from anything in my life. I feel if i leave this, he will think he has scared my off or won the battle.

I spent 10 years working on the doors and have had to put up with D*cks all that time, trying to threaten me, and i never back down, even if it means getting a kicking.

I dont want to sound like a Chav, but he really doesnt know who he is messing with, everyone i know is Dodgy as hell and as i am in the same trade as him, i know some huge guys that are also very dangerous.

But i dont want to get into that, but my pride is at stake here and its killing me.

I think i have resigned myself to forgetting the shop, but i dont think i can walk away.

Has anyone got an alternate suggestion?

Find somewhere else... really not worth the hassle. I know somebody who owns a hairdressers, and the sarnie shop next door has had problems with rats, meesing up the toilets, causing damage and all sorts and when the guy i know questioned him about it, the sarnie shop owner was VERY hostile and told him to get stuffed or he'll be stuffed.

To solve the problem... the hairdresser had some burly fella's make some enquiries... problem solved.... or so he thought.

Couple of month later... all windows smashed, all interior stuff smashed and a note saying... 'Told You'.

After insurance pay out etc etc... and about a year of putting up with all this other guys crap, he got the police involved who set up camera's and made enquiries... two months later... the guy was arrested for breach of peace, threatening behaviour, disregard of health & safety, criminal damage and to top it all off... he was money laundering and dodging tax!! 6 years in prison!

Now, although that turned out well, it took a couple of years and a lot of money in insurance premiums etc... The hairdresser said that it was in no way worth the hassle and wishes he'd have moved when problems started.

Don't bother with the hassle... find somewhere else!

Seveer,

are you trying to mess my head up even more.

Which of your replies should i take notice of?

One is telling me to leave it and the other is telling me to do him over?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

I totally agree with the advice you've already been given. It's only your pride that is stopping you, as you have already inferred. To stoop to his level would make you no better than he is, in my opinion.

It takes a braver man to walk away from a difficult situation than one who just barges in without thinking things through. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Sorry... i posted the second after i saw your post about your pride... which i didn't see before i told you to walk away! I was only kidding in my 2nd post!

Just walk away... pride is something that can be re-developed... a new set of legs isn't. (not that you'll get mashed... but anything's possible)

Al,

if you had asked me this before Monday, i would have agreed with you totally, and i do agree with you. But my pride is hurt and this guy thinks he is some kind of Gangsta who owns the town.

I hate people who try to push other people around. Everyone should be free to try and do the best they can for themselves.

My past is that of a violant nature, being associated with unsavory people and unsavory things. I am trying to get myself out of that life and set up a legit business and then some plastic gangsta comes along and starts threatening me.

I think i am just ranting on, i really dont know what to do about this. The chances are that when my mates find out what is going on, i will have no choice in the matter, he will just get done over anyway, if i like it or not.

I dont know what i want to here people, but thanks for your views anyway. They really are very much appreciated.

Fair enough mate but what if he does get done over and it gets traced back to you whether it was your fault or not? Your new business plans would be out of the window then anyway, yes?

Just my two pence. Your decision in the end.

The guy has been there 20 years trading and selling supplements to his members.

You want to set up business right below him till only till August selling....... err........ supplements?

Now you have got into a ‘My dads bigger than your dad’ situation.

What are your motives? You say you want an easy life and stating things like ‘getting people done over’ is a bit 'oxymoron-ish'

What do I think?

A; Different business, same location

B; Same business, different location

Or you may find your ‘easy life’ a little difficult

Yeh i know, but couldnt you just make it for me anyway.

Then at least i could just tell the judge that the voices in the computer told me to do it, then maybe i will be able to cop an insanity plee.

Reece,

you totally lost me there.

He sells a very small amount of supplememnts to his members. I would be selling a complete range to everyone in the town as well as all other fitness equipment. There currently isnt anyone providing for people into fitness int his town.

As for the location, it is mearly unfortunate that this is the only place available in my budget that would suit my needs. All others are either way too small (the majority) or very expensive.

Either way, he didnt just say he didnt want me below him, he said the whole town was his and i should stay out.

Explain your reply, please.

He sees you as a threat to his business, rightly or wrongly.

Now you two have got off on a very wrong foot to the point of physical threats. Things can only deteriorate if you move in below him.

I would walk away and look for somewhere else. A new business is stressful enough; a new business with a bunch of chimps watching your every move isn’t worth the hassle.

Yeh,

totally, i agree.

And obviously i think he is wrong to think i am stepping on his toes, especially as i have devised a plan of joint ventures between us. But he is too irate to even listen.

As i siad in one of my earlier posts, i have already resigned myself to leaving the shop alone. My only real dilema was wether or not to do him over. But everone thinks i should just walk away and leave it totally.

I will just have to hope that what goes around comes around.

‘Do him over?’ Behave, walk away.............. simple! You’re not at school now.

At least then you can sleep soundly at night and not be looking over your shoulder for years to come, those sort of things have a tendency to creep up on you when you least expect it

you know it makes sense :thumbsup:

Discression is the better part of valour...

Find somewhere else and don't get into a turf war.

Why are other people's problems always to easy to solve :unsure:

A

When you say August, I'm guessing its this August....

Thats only 6 months to trade and then like you say you'll probably get turfed out - but is that 6 months really worth it? I dont think so!

As for "doing him over" - I say leave him be - hes obviously quite pathetic anyway and you'd be stooping to his level if you started anything with him - so just walk away, head held high and find a better property.

:thumbsup:

There will be no fighting in this classroom! :D

I think you should leave it and find another location, at the end of the day a business is there to make money..and if you did have to relocate after opening that would cost you more. I know threats arent good, but having him done over anyway probs wouldnt be good either..if you start on him I bet he'll start on you and then even when you do get a new place he'll probs track it down and then go after you..

Well thats my two pence worth anyway! :)

Try one last time to speak with him or send a letter, explaining what you are actually going to be selling.

Sell it TO him buy saying that it will increase the more athletic type of person to the premises therefore increasing his business, even suggest a slightly discounted rate for his gym for your customers which will increase his business.

If he still says no then hes just a ****** :thumbsup:

Find another location!which i think youve already decided on but make it clear to him that his threats are not the reson you are not going ahead with the shop below the gym!

CB :thumbsup: