Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Problem...

Captain Starlet

jus got round to doing the last things left on my service ,the gearbox oil,fuel filter and belt. But when we was tryin te fuel filter i noticed theres a bracket on the one to come off,but the one to go on is just a simple round shape

Ideas anyone?

Wrong filter?

-Also any tips for wen we get round to doin the cambelt?

Everything else is excellent now,so far the service...

Denso Irridium Plugs

Cleaned my apexi (want even mucky lol)

Castrol GTX Magnatec 10w40 oil

Trd Oil filter (its red so matches my car lol)

Carlube 75w90 Gearbox oil

Captain,

definitely wrong filter.

I went down to the local motor factors and got a filter that was identical to the one that came off and that was FRAM. if you are having trouble getting one, then go to the toyota dealer. Cost me £25 from the local motor factors, if you are getting it from the dealer then expect ot pay more than that!

Cambelt, get a good one. Don't get cheap stuff - you'll regret it.

here's instructions from memory, you'll understand as you are going. note this is for a car with no power steering, if you have power steering the alternator belt is longer and drives the power steering pump as well.

1. jack car up, and take the plastic undertray off. leave the front wheels on bricks or axle stands on the sills, you'll need your trolley jack in a minute

2. loosen the alternator, move it so you can take the alternator belt off.

3. you need to take upper timing belt cover off, the timing belt cover is in 2 parts or 3 depending on your particular engine. anyway undo the bolts and take the top piece off, you should be able to see the belt going round the camshaft.

4. looking at the crankshaft you should see the alternator belt pulley with a bolt in the end. get a socket and rotate this clockwise until the notch in the alternator pulley lines up with 0 degrees on the timing belt cover.

now if you have a look at the camshaft timing belt pulley you should see a hole in one of the spokes through which you can see a sort of dimple in the head. this particular spoke should be vertical by the way. these are your timing marks, notch on crankshaft and dimple on the camshaft. IF THE TIMING MARKS DON't Line up then rotate the crankshaft a futher turn and then they should line up

5. you need an assistant, get them to sit in the car with the car in a low gear, try 2nd. and get them to press the footbrake. now undo the bolt that holds the cranskaft alternator pulley to the crankshaft. Its flipping tight and you might need a breaker bar!!!

6. once you've got undone, remove the crankshaft alternator pulley, it should slide off, DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER TO PRY IT OFF, gentle taps with a rubber hammer should get it off if its sticks.

7. remove the rest of the timing belt cover, you should be able to see the the entire cambelt now. you need to slacken the bolt that holds the tensioner on and put that in the loose position and retighten the bolt. now the cambelt will come off. if its an old belt it should slide off fairly easily.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE FROM THE TIMING MARKS MORE THAN 15 degrees max when your doing this.

8. get your jack put a block of wood on the top of it and put it under the sump and apply a bit of force so that there is no strain on the engine mount near the timing belt.

9. You need to remove the engine mount near the timing belt. I actually undid the bolt and managed to slide the belt over but its easier to undo the whole mount.

10. get the old belt off, and slide the new one on MAKE SURE THE TIMING MARKS ARE STILL GOOD. it will be tight, then loosen the bolt holding the tensioner back and it should spring back onto cambelt. retighten the tensioner bolt. If you have a tensioning machine use that to set the tension, if not ifollow the instructions that came with your cambelt.

11. rotate the crankshaft round 2 turns and have a look to make sure the timing marks are still okay.

12. as the haynes manual says refitting is the reverse of removal!

hope that helps mate.

have a nice day

sanj

hi,i bought the belt from fensport,so i think that should be fine,

but the fuel filter looks the exact same,ie plane black cylinder shape,but the one on the car has the bracket molded onto it if you get me

ill try an get sum pics on my fone for you to see

- thanks for the guide,should make a good read!...they normally do tar!

i know what you mean the black bracket with two bolt holes in it. If your filter doesn't have these then its the wrong type!

what makes the belt?

hmm doesnt have them,ill get in touch with frnsport,an the belt is just one of the fensport blueprint items

changed the belt yesterday mate,

Awesome guide,with those instructions i think i cud even av a bash on me own next time,

Sould be pinned or saved some where this :thumbsup:

did you take it to a garage to have it done?

maybe we could get a moderator to change the subject line to "4efe engine cambelt change" and then pin it

well ,my gf's dad (the same nice man who sold me the car for only 1k,2owners,35,00 miles on) is a mechanic,used to be,so me an him did it,but after seeing it an helping i think id try it with his super vision next time,wasnt too bad,jus that damn bolt....maaaan thts tight lol

yer,could do with this as a sticky,but they never do,more bothered about large sigs lol

ive put it forward to geo(suby) over on extreme ep tho :thumbsup:

make sure you check the tensioner again after about 500 miles, the belt will have stretched a bit by then.

Did your GF's dad do the tipp ex trick or did he line the timing marks up?

we checked all the notches an markings ,but just to be nosey whats the tippex trick? jus making a line or sumthing?

an yer he said to jus reset my counter so we can check it later on,once its bedded in,cheers tho,the thought tht counts!

Oooh an the fuel filter,i think my dad ahs binned the damn box! so i doubt ill be able to send it back :( so thts 20quid down the drain!

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone, newbie to this site. Found it yesterday while looking for info on changing the cambelt. I apologize for dragging up an old thread but its all I can find. I'm pretty mechanically minded when it comes to cars but have never done a cambelt.

Just reading the post below and was wondering about the highlighted part:

Captain,

definitely wrong filter.

I went down to the local motor factors and got a filter that was identical to the one that came off and that was FRAM. if you are having trouble getting one, then go to the toyota dealer. Cost me £25 from the local motor factors, if you are getting it from the dealer then expect ot pay more than that!

Cambelt, get a good one. Don't get cheap stuff - you'll regret it.

here's instructions from memory, you'll understand as you are going. note this is for a car with no power steering, if you have power steering the alternator belt is longer and drives the power steering pump as well.

1. jack car up, and take the plastic undertray off. leave the front wheels on bricks or axle stands on the sills, you'll need your trolley jack in a minute

2. loosen the alternator, move it so you can take the alternator belt off.

3. you need to take upper timing belt cover off, the timing belt cover is in 2 parts or 3 depending on your particular engine. anyway undo the bolts and take the top piece off, you should be able to see the belt going round the camshaft.

4. looking at the crankshaft you should see the alternator belt pulley with a bolt in the end. get a socket and rotate this clockwise until the notch in the alternator pulley lines up with 0 degrees on the timing belt cover.

now if you have a look at the camshaft timing belt pulley you should see a hole in one of the spokes through which you can see a sort of dimple in the head. this particular spoke should be vertical by the way. these are your timing marks, notch on crankshaft and dimple on the camshaft. IF THE TIMING MARKS DON't Line up then rotate the crankshaft a futher turn and then they should line up

5. you need an assistant, get them to sit in the car with the car in a low gear, try 2nd. and get them to press the footbrake. now undo the bolt that holds the cranskaft alternator pulley to the crankshaft. Its flipping tight and you might need a breaker bar!!!

6. once you've got undone, remove the crankshaft alternator pulley, it should slide off, DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER TO PRY IT OFF, gentle taps with a rubber hammer should get it off if its sticks.

7. remove the rest of the timing belt cover, you should be able to see the the entire cambelt now. you need to slacken the bolt that holds the tensioner on and put that in the loose position and retighten the bolt. now the cambelt will come off. if its an old belt it should slide off fairly easily.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE FROM THE TIMING MARKS MORE THAN 15 degrees max when your doing this.

8. get your jack put a block of wood on the top of it and put it under the sump and apply a bit of force so that there is no strain on the engine mount near the timing belt.

9. You need to remove the engine mount near the timing belt. I actually undid the bolt and managed to slide the belt over but its easier to undo the whole mount.

10. get the old belt off, and slide the new one on MAKE SURE THE TIMING MARKS ARE STILL GOOD. it will be tight, then loosen the bolt holding the tensioner back and it should spring back onto cambelt. retighten the tensioner bolt. If you have a tensioning machine use that to set the tension, if not ifollow the instructions that came with your cambelt.

11. rotate the crankshaft round 2 turns and have a look to make sure the timing marks are still okay.

12. as the haynes manual says refitting is the reverse of removal!

hope that helps mate.

have a nice day

sanj

If this happened could I not just realign it without any damge? Its my gf's car and don't wanna screw up!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

bump.. anyone??

Hi ,

This might give you some pointers as to what you're doing.....it's not the same engine as yours but it's very similar and the process will be virtually identical.

>>5E engine manual <<

It's a fairly straightforward job - just be methodical and take your time and you should be fine.

bump.. anyone??

Hi ,

This might give you some pointers as to what you're doing.....it's not the same engine as yours but it's very similar and the process will be virtually identical.

>>5E engine manual <<

It's a fairly straightforward job - just be methodical and take your time and you should be fine.

Cheers, that should help, will give it a go!

• 3 months later...
jus got round to doing the last things left on my service ,the gearbox oil,fuel filter and belt. But when we was tryin te fuel filter i noticed theres a bracket on the one to come off,but the one to go on is just a simple round shape

Ideas anyone?

Wrong filter?

-Also any tips for wen we get round to doin the cambelt?

Everything else is excellent now,so far the service...

Denso Irridium Plugs

Cleaned my apexi (want even mucky lol)

Castrol GTX Magnatec 10w40 oil

Trd Oil filter (its red so matches my car lol)

Carlube 75w90 Gearbox oil

ya see i do alot of the servicing on me own starlet me self..kinda tricky but worht it cos im hoping to become a mechanic nd start a prep compnay for 4x4ing

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi Guys

I recently bought a 1998 Toyota Starlet EP90 and just serviced it ...

How many miles should I wait before another service?

I searched the net already but the only info I found was re changing the timing belt after 100,000

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links