Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How High Do You Rev Your Car?

KidKoala

I want to know generally what RPM people take their lumps up to?

I don't have a problem with revving mine to 7.5k, because I know the engine was built to do that, and will take it day in day out. Some people think this is excessive and you shouldn't rev that high, but isn't that what jap car ownership is all about?

So how high do you rev, and what engine?

I want to know generally what RPM people take their lumps up to?

I don't have a problem with revving mine to 7.5k, because I know the engine was built to do that, and will take it day in day out. Some people think this is excessive and you shouldn't rev that high, but isn't that what jap car ownership is all about?

So how high do you rev, and what engine?

All the way baby, just before redline 6.5 i think it is on mine.

thats what VVTi is all about :D

i have the 1.3 yaris

With day to day driving I dont ever see the top of my rev range :lol::lol:

Normally rev to 4000 then change :thumbsup: at 3000rpm in 5th I am doing 70mph at 4000rpm I reach 100mph :D

My 4agze will rev to 7600 :thumbsup:

Well my car limits at 7500 im sure..... i tend not to take it near there, even on the 1/4. More like 6250 :) Everyday drivin is like 3 and change lol

With day to day driving I dont ever see the top of my rev range  :lol:  :lol:

Normally rev to 4000 then change  :thumbsup: at 3000rpm in 5th I am doing 70mph at 4000rpm I reach 100mph  :D

My 4agze will rev to 7600  :thumbsup:

I've got quite short gearing, in 5th at 80MPH i'm doing something like 5k rpm i think.

Does anyone know where the limiter kicks in on the 4A-GE?

8600k, but you have to make sure your engines upto to full operating temperature to go to such high revs, otherwise your s**g your engine.

8350rpm every day :eek:

Seems ok, always warmed up properly, done 22k miles and no sign of any trouble.

In fact, it seems to run better with regular thrashing, doesn't like pottering for several trips.

Paul.

I know the VVTi can handle it, but i don't like redlining. Tend to be quite an economical driver when i'm driving to work etc - just have a few mad moments after work for stress relief. Plus i like my head gasket the way it is.

Craig: did you mean you rev to 8.6k or thats where my rev limiter kicks in? I've not bothered to take it past the redline...

As for letting the engine warm up - yep, would never take it above 3.5k unless the oil is up to temperature.

The only reason I know mine goes to 7600 100rpm more then 7500 the standard is because when I was in germany I hit the limiter in 3rd a couple of times I would no way recomend hitting the limiter all the time it's sounds :censor: and I dont think it does your car any good :lol::lol:

Is your lump the same as mine but with a supercharger?

I want to know where the limiter is so I dont end up hitting it :D

Craig: did you mean you rev to 8.6k or thats where my rev limiter kicks in? I've not bothered to take it past the redline...

As for letting the engine warm up - yep, would never take it above 3.5k unless the oil is up to temperature.

I have an Apexi Power FC so I can set my rev limiter to as high or low as I want.

Kinda my 4agze has a stonger gearbox the engine internals are stonger and the clutch is bigger other then that they are much the same 1.6 16v lump

So rev the nuts of it and find out. It won't do the engine any harm as that is what its designed to do. Just make sure you don't hit it when down changing.

With the Corolla and my first MR2 (Rev3) for regular day to day driving I usually changed around 3.5k - 4k. If I was feeling frisky, I'd usually only take them to around 6.5k.

I know the engines were built to handle high revs, but I really didn't want it to go anywhere near the red zone :rolleyes:

In my company car (with 2l turbo deizel engine) for regular driving I usually change gear at around 3k. If I'm feeling frisky, around 4.5k I think it gets to the red zone at only 4.8k - 5k

With the Corolla and my first MR2 (Rev3) for regular day to day driving I usually changed around 3.5k - 4k. If I was feeling frisky, I'd usually only take them to around 6.5k.

I know the engines were built to handle high revs, but I really didn't want it to go anywhere near the red zone :rolleyes:

In my company car (with 2l turbo deizel engine) for regular driving I usually change gear at around 3k. If I'm feeling frisky, around 4.5k I think it gets to the red zone at only 4.8k - 5k

Diesel's arent meant for revving, which is why the use all the low down power in modern turbo diesels.

Wuss :D

Depends, for normal driving maybe 4k revs. If Im trying to get some speed up, or just ****** off normally to the red line or 1k below it.

bounce it off the limiter .. even in 5th :(

I've hit the limiter in 2nd before when I wasn't waying attention.. the car sorta went into mega safe mode and wouldn't give me any speed over say 30mph. If I tried to accelerate past it, it just refused. Pulled over, stopped the car. Restarted it and it was fine.

weird!

I dont rev mine up that much at all....but today, on a roundabout didnt change up to 3rd til about 35 mph..think she engine was over 3.5 RPM??? It's the heaviest I've ever been and boy did she move :D :D Twas fun and I thought I had better drive her properly before she goes :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links