Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How High Do You Rev Your Car?

KidKoala

I used to rev my Corolla Gti and the Gli 1.6 a fair bit and it was fun but with the Avensis 2.0 there isn't all that much to be gained by it except to use more fuel.

KidKoala - i think the limiter's at 7600 on a 4-AGE. if the AE92 rev counter is like the AE82, it goes orange at about 7200 then red at 7500, and it cuts in just after (ive hit it in 2nd a couple of times). i usually upchange somewhere in the orange region, depending what gear im in.

With the Corolla and my first MR2 (Rev3) for regular day to day driving I usually changed around 3.5k - 4k. If I was feeling frisky, I'd usually only take them to around 6.5k.

I know the engines were built to handle high revs, but I really didn't want it to go anywhere near the red zone

im sure if i remember rightly, the 4A-GE only peaks at about 6700rpm - you were missing out! :D

Do you know what - I never actually look!

So I really dont know!

(Too busy applying lippy in rear view mirror.....lol!) :P :P

bounce it off the limiter .. even in 5th :(

:yes: ... when it's warmed up... well, not quite off the limiter, but a sniff shy. It's a sports car. I change oil every 2500 miles. I let it warm up and cool down. You look after it, it looks after you.

(Too busy applying lippy in rear view mirror.....lol!)  :P  :P

:lol: :D

I know the VVTi can handle it, but i don't like redlining.  Tend to be quite an economical driver when i'm driving to work etc - just have a few mad moments after work for stress relief.  Plus i like my head gasket the way it is.

I saw no lost in economy since i learned that ragging the car doesnt do much damage as its VVti, so i pretty much do it when the temp is warmed up.....

my ecu knows i like to drive like that... and i still get 40mpg, the only time petrol really goes down is when i go on the motorway and speed a bit for a long time

Had a guy at work who missed the downchange approaching a roundabout and found 1st instead of 3rd. His Civic Type R was supposed to rev to about 8,000, the engine management reported that it was trying to reach 18,000 when it blew up. Fortunately it was a company car. Unfortunately they wanted to charge him the full ocst for abusing it.

I rev my cars most of the way to the redline whenever trying to make good progress. This is perfectly acceptable Advanced Driving technique, partticularly if it allows you to avoid a gearchange whilst overtaking.

Me? The 13th Duke of Wimbourne......here, driving my car to the redline with my reputation? :lol:

I hear the 2JZ is strong enough to rev 9000k fine with the rev limiter raised - hence the 10000rpm TRD dials ;)

But i hardly ever rev up the giant lump, i mean whats the point - i can cruise at 90 and i'll be doing just over 3k rpm. Its tough to keep your licence :thumbsup:

What's the point??? To get the power out of the engine... It's fun...

I know the VVTi can handle it, but i don't like redlining.  Tend to be quite an economical driver when i'm driving to work etc - just have a few mad moments after work for stress relief.  Plus i like my head gasket the way it is.

I saw no lost in economy since i learned that ragging the car doesnt do much damage as its VVti, so i pretty much do it when the temp is warmed up.....

my ecu knows i like to drive like that... and i still get 40mpg, the only time petrol really goes down is when i go on the motorway and speed a bit for a long time

My point is driving is the only time i get to relax, so why should i drive in a manner that makes me more tense because i'm having to concentrate harder on the speed of the car. At the end of the day, the fastest road i drive on going to work is a 40, by the time i've redlined it i'm already speeding, seems pointless to me to do it constantly, gaining nothing by it thats for sure. Not saying i haven't done it, because i have, but there's a time and a place IMO.

Would agree with that, theres no point in bouncing it off the limiter in 1st if your sat in a queue of traffic, but thats just common sense IMO.

I'm talking about the times when we get in our cars to go for a drive, not to commute... Like those sunny sunday afternoons when you do a couple of hundred miles of A-roads...

not sure about my G6R not had it long enough yet, but when out on the thrash in my girlfriends saxo VTR it feels really quick.

1st gear just over 30

2nd just over 60

3rd about 85

4th about 108

5th about 127

thats in a standard saxp VTR, its actualy booked at 115 top end but you kno cars are always booked under.

had it timed 0-62, 7.9 secs

and its rolling roaded@108bhp (booked at 90bhp!!!) :eek:

What's the point??? To get the power out of the engine... It's fun...

well when u have a 3.ol TT i dont think it barely needs revving :P

me i drive hard only ever on a warmed up car, although the limiter is there for a reason the yaris peaks just before at 6k so i change around there!

Of course a 3.0TT needs revving like any other car if you want to get the performance out of it ;)

Well Nick wont let the Exec go over 4000rpm (dont ask lol)

But the GTi, when its on the road, he'll happily take it to 6000+rpm. Will go higher when new engine goes in :D

i rarely go over 4000. Most times I usually change up at around 2.5k-3k. I'm not worried about hurting the engine, I just don't like sitting in a noisy car.

One thing I have noticed about my Avensis is that there is a very small range where I get a decent amount of power, it kicks in around the 4k mark but drops off before I reach 5k.

I NEVER go more than 3k when cold and when its warm and im feeling frisky 5.8k is enough, cams start to work properly at 4250 i think (well it feels like it) goes like a rocket up to 6.5k (only over taking) cruise on the Mway just below a ton (98mph) at 4k in 6th

I need a 6th gear! My car screams in 5th when you take it over 80MPH :D

My supra turbo is a an auto... on kickdown it will hapilly redline itself (6200 rpm).

bearing in mind it will do 130 at 3.5k in 4th I'm not worried about revs at all!!!

engines with real grunt have power low down the rev range :)

used to get close to redlin in celica since its been chipped chaneg at about 5.5-6 k even when racing and beating a gt4

does no one else have a 20v???

ive had it up to 8000, and still didnt hit the limiter.

apart from yhat time, i rarely go past 7000

I try to keep the yaris 1.3 to 4000RPM to save petrol, one tank now last me a week

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links