Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Polishing/running In New T-|sport

ferrariboyuk

Hello,

I've just got a new T-Sport and i'm wondering when i should polish it. Should i wait a while or do it soon. Also, the salesman says there is no need to run the engine in (just give the brakes etc a chance to settle). Can anyone back this up coz i cant believe i'm free to use all the revs yet!!

..... and why is there a lack of accessories (particularly T-Sport ones), they dont seem to adverstise the fact that they have any.

Thanks

DOM

Hi ther and welcome tot he club :thumbsup:

I don't know about the polishing ("whenever its dry and I have the time" is normally my solution :rolleyes: ), but I got told a similar thing by the salesman when I collected mine. I then looked through the book and it says to not rev the nuts off it for the first 600 miles or so just to let everything settle.

There should be a little bit in the handbook about it...

Hope that helps,

Alan

yeah, at the very least mate its not gonna hurt to break it in slowly

First 200 miles I was told, just to wear the brakes in a bit!

Shes now on about 780 miles and is going well! :thumbsup:

Some people say 'rag it' so it knows how it's going to driven.. Others say give it time..

I gave mine 100miles, then 'ragged it' for a week, then drove 'normally' thereon..

24k later, still running fine, and not a single fault*

*touch wood..

Hello Dom

Welcome to the club. Hope that you enjoy the site. You will find that this is a very addictive site once you get to know everyone on here :thumbsup:

About polishing. Toyota would have polished the car to a high level of shine so no need to polish the car for at least 3 - 4 months mate.

And the rev's and running in. I would wait till at least 1000 miles mate. I know that people say 500 miles is enough. It's all about if you want to look after your car mate. Think about it. It's brand new and you have got to let all the parts settle down and get bedded in mate.

The choice is yours mate. Run it in and you will get reliable service back from the car. Thrash the nuts off of it and things might go wrong who knows? It's worked for me every time to just run the car in properly before reving the engine high :thumbsup:

Accessories yes you are right :yes: Finding parts for the t sport yaris is kinda hard. But parts are available more widely now. You have just got to know where to look mate. What sort of stuff are you after. Have a look at the top left handside of the site and you will see in the corner toc sponsor. Click on funky product. Or envy performance. This will get you started :yes: Need more give us a shout and i will sort you out with some more web links :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Nowadays you shouldn't really need to run in a new car but taking it a bit easy for a while and keeping away from the rev limiter isn't going to hurt.

Oh and welcome!

I was told to keep it under 3.5k revs for the first 600-1000 miles when i got my car. But just to be safe i did it for about 2000 miles as i wasnt going anywhere fast in peak time traffic anyway.

As for polishing and waxing ... you should protect your car as soon as possible with some decent wax, as this will keep it looking like new as long as possible. I've recently started using this synthetic wax called Klasse .. and it is absolutely brilliant. Here is some info .. Click me

Oh and the sealant glaze is supposed to be amazing once you've built up the number of coats .. i'm on 2 at the mo and its smoother and shinier than anything i've used before! :thumbsup:

Hello,

I've just got a new T-Sport and i'm wondering when i should polish it.  Should i wait a while or do it soon.  Also, the salesman says there is no need to run the engine in (just give the brakes etc a chance to settle).  Can anyone back this up coz i cant believe i'm free to use all the revs yet!!

hi and welcome to TOC :group-cuddles: i ran mine in for the first 600mile,like

jerry says give everything time to bed in.

as for waxing asap and as often as you can,i do mine once a week :D

help keep your nice new car looking new.

About polishing. Toyota would have polished the car to a high level of shine so no need to polish the car for at least 3 - 4 months mate.

jerry!!

LOL no way :lol:

IGNORE JERRY theres no way he left his car for 3 - 4 months without waxing it.....

.....he wax's his car every 3 - 4 minutes :P :lol::lol:

kimi :wub:

My Yaris has done 71 Miles now and I am keeping her under 3000 revs to break her in, and also avoiding harsh braking too :)

PS: What bit of Essex are you in?

cheers everyone. I'll give it a thorough polish soon then. Not taking it out much just yet, letting the roads clear of the grit first. Only got it on saturday mind, done 40 miles so far!

Taken my old w reg yaris out half the time - mainly due to my puppy. T-sport is a no puppy zone (or rain, snow, or grit).

Dont think i'll be able to wax it every week, i spent 2-3 hours just washing my last yaris (plus attenting to the wheels, arches and door rims).

As for the running in, i'll keep the revs under 3k for about 1000 miles.

Once again, cheers all.

Blue84: I'm in the brentwood area.

DOM

As for the running in, i'll keep the revs under 3k for about 1000 miles.

Once again, cheers all.

Blue84: I'm in the brentwood area.

DOM

Cool :) I took my old Yaris upto Thorndon Country Park before Christmas to get some photo's on a nice background...I'm in Thurrock, so down the Brentwood Road/A128 :thumbsup: btw if you havent done it yet take your TS along the A128..it's a 60 mph limit and the Yaris certainly loves it ;) I drove mine back along it on Saturday from the A127....

I'll shut up now ;)

keep talking if you want, i dont mind...

I'll give it a try at some point - its too early yet , cheers. In the meantime i'll satisfy my car needs with my long awaited ferrari trackday i got for christmas. wey hey!

I used to drive up the a127 to go to southend when i was doing my degree...

Now its my turn to shut up.

Hello,

I've just got a new T-Sport and i'm wondering when i should polish it.  Should i wait a while or do it soon.  Also, the salesman says there is no need to run the engine in (just give the brakes etc a chance to settle).  Can anyone back this up coz i cant believe i'm free to use all the revs yet!!

hi and welcome to TOC :group-cuddles: i ran mine in for the first 600mile,like

jerry says give everything time to bed in.

as for waxing asap and as often as you can,i do mine once a week :D

help keep your nice new car looking new.

jerry!!

LOL no way :lol:

IGNORE JERRY theres no way he left his car for 3 - 4 months without waxing it.....

.....he wax's his car every 3 - 4 minutes :P :lol::lol:

kimi :wub:

I just wish that i could polish it as often as you say that would be wicked :thumbsup: Actually come weekend i will be applying another coat on the old girl ;)

jerry!!

Main thing is don't labour the engine in to high a gear etc.

Don't run at a constant rpm. So if on motorway for long time. Don't just sit at 3.5K go up to 4 and a bit and then lower revs. That is the most importnat thing when running car in.

Main thing is don't labour the engine in to high a gear etc.

Don't run at a constant rpm. So if on motorway for long time. Don't just sit at 3.5K go up to 4 and a bit and then lower revs. That is the most importnat thing when running car in.

In the Yaris handbook it says to not go at the same constant speed for a long period of time, anyone know how long is long? :unsure:

avoid the motorway if you can for the first 800/1000 miles IMO

variable speeds around town to get all the oily bits and brakes etc bedded in

and I would it below 50mph

I wish I had your dedication Jerry!  :lol:

I will, I will, I will clean my car this weekend!  :unsure:

Yep thats me every sunday I'm outside wind rain snow. Washing both motors. It's got to be done. And when summer comes oh my god double the shift time :yes::yes:

jerry!!

i'm a 'keep ya car clean nut' to. If it ever started to rain whislt i'm driving, any time after washing it, i'd park up on the drive and get my pressure washer out to rinse off any dirt before it dries on. (but only if it is still raining - reduces water marks that way i find)

I cant do that - well every day I go along a dual carriageway to work and then back again..and I will be using the Motorway this weekend :yes:

ferrariboyuk - which dealership did you get yours from?

I cant do that - well every day I go along a dual carriageway to work and then back again..and I will be using the Motorway this weekend :yes:

Well I finally got my brand spanking new 1.3 Thunder Grey colour collection today. First half a mile from dealers (Lindops Queensferry) to my Mum's house was a leisurely low rev 30mph and under. Coming back to the Wirral meant a brief trip along the M53. 50mph? :rolleyes:

It happily did 70mph in fifth at around 3000revs. Not going to 'rag it' but it does just say no continuous single speed for a long period.

My favourite bit? "Try to avoid hard stops for the first 200 miles".

Seems pretty good advice for the 200 miles after that, and the next and the next... :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new car Al - you'll have to get those pics up quick sharpish - I want to see a Thunder Grey on other than a T-Sport..... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on the new car Al - you'll have to get those pics up quick sharpish - I want to see a Thunder Grey on other than a T-Sport.....  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Em, so did I. Had originally been told I could have this car on the 1st March! :lol:

Not the weather for good photos but I'll try to get some pic up tomorrow. :thumbsup:

I got it from the dealers in chelmsford. Got my other yaris from Romford five years ago. Didn't want to use them again coz their pants.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links